Miracles in December

"Heaven" bakery

A/N There is a scene that might contain a triggering content that has to do with the emotional state of a person and also a brief mention of rough language, please have that in mind ;;


Jimin might be twenty now, but never once in his life he had appreciated winter on a personal level. Of course, he acknowledged its importance to the Earth, so he didn’t really hate the season, but he was entirely a summer person by heart. He also felt the most uninspired during those exact four months of the year where everything in Seoul was covered in snow, and not even the holiday decorations made him want to willingly take his camera and do his job. Other photographers might disagree, they might say that since December is the month of miracles there are plenty of moments worth being photographed, but not for Jimin.

He wrapped himself with two infinity scarves and put half a dozen of hot packs in his pockets before leaving his apartment. He didn’t even take his camera bag with him again, he hadn’t been taking it for the last two weeks. He still worked on assignments when he had to, but his pictures of outside were limited, no more than a few. Sure, the pure white background was something easily labeled as beautiful, especially along with the contrasting colorful Christmas decorations that were everywhere around him and Jimin acknowledged that, but he preferred to just look at it.

Jimin liked to think of himself as a realistic person and he preferred living in the present without wasting his time regretting or just living in the past or constantly dreaming about the idyllic future. But he couldn’t help it, really. Winter reminded him of so many things and he often found himself reminiscing about the past, the person he was then and the person he was with then during the cold months. The past being around three years ago. But had been doing so well recently and he thought that since time was supposed to heal, and a lot of time had passed since the winter three years ago, maybe he was really forgetting all that happened then. But then again, either irony loved him or some higher powers had decided to prove him wrong. He saw him again.

Kibum still looked the same, but even if he didn’t and had a different hair color or gained weight for example, Jimin doubted he would have gotten him wrong anyway. Kibum didn’t see him, but Jimin recognized him walking around Myeongdong right away, probably doing some Christmas shopping. Jimin wondered when had he gotten back in Seoul and for how long has he been here. He also wondered if he remembered him at all. He had gotten over him, he was sure about it, but he couldn’t pretend not feeling that sting inside his chest when he saw the painfully familiar smile fitted across his face.

Kibum was the last person Jimin considered as a lover, as someone he loved enough to call him with such a name and, of course, he naively thought it was the same for Kibum. The latter showed him affection, lust, spoiled him and made him feel good for more than a year and a half, but Jimin never realized that there wasn’t love added to that. Kibum never loved Jimin, but rather just used his naivety to play around and maybe satisfy some desires he had felt then. When Jimin realized Kibum wasn’t working late every night he wasn’t at home, in their bed, but just playing around with another one of his dolls he didn’t believe it. But that delusion only lasted for a while and then Kibum confirmed it himself, one day he just said that he’s leaving, saying a simple ‘sorry’ for lying to Jimin and then just left him alone.

When he left Jimin felt disgusted with himself, he hated every inch of his body, he felt like a used rug and he hated the fact that it hurt so much, he hated the fact that there were still thoughts inside of him of forgiving Kibum, of forgiving him for all the times he had cheated on him, lying that he’s the only one.  But time passed, time healed and Jimin was getting close to healing himself with every day that passed. Sure, he screamed, he cried, he locked himself inside, he ignored Hoseok and everyone close to him for long periods of time, he tried hurting himself during the process and heck, sometimes talked too much when he was drunk. But he decided to be better than that - he wanted to trust and love people again, he surrounded himself with people and they loved him too, although he never trusted someone again enough to let them in his heart. Yoongi was close, but not enough.

Jimin didn’t want to talk to Kibum again and he didn’t want to let Kibum know of his existence, so he didn’t waste his time panicking, but rather left Myeongdong few moments after seeing him. When he left three years ago he also left Seoul and moved away and that was really for the better for Jimin and for the possible mistakes he might have done. He hoped that Kibum will leave again so they never have to meet and Jimin would never have to feel that traitor sting in his chest when he sees the smile he used to love so much again.

It started snowing and Jimin buried his face deeper into his scarves, trying to erase the face of the past. Winter definitely wasn’t his favorite season.

He headed to “Heaven”, although Yoongi had a day off. But that was better for him since he wanted to be alone with himself, he wanted to recollect his thoughts and not think about him anymore and he knew Yoongi would notice that something had happened. He found it funny, he had spent so much time trying to forget someone, but just like this without a warning it just appears again, as if it was making fun of all the effort Jimin had put during the past years. But Kibum was only a piece of his past and Jimin lived in the present where Kibum doesn’t exist as a piece of his life. It stung, it hurt, it brought back some memories, but over the years Jimin had become really thick-skinned to prevent something like this to make him go back to his previous state. He didn’t despise Kibum now, he didn’t despise Fate, God or whichever power had decided to get them to meet again. He was healing.

--

“If this isn’t a happy coincidence, meeting my best friend here.” Hoseok said while sitting down next to Jimin, startling him a little. “What’s up? You seem out of it.”

It was kind of a coincidence actually, because Hoseok wanted to rest a bit before going back to work and “Heaven” was the closest place he could think of. He didn’t except to find Jimin here, because he was aware how much his friend disliked going out in the winter time.

“When did you come? I didn’t see you.” Jimin retorted absentmindedly and made some space for Hoseok to sit. He really didn’t even notice him walking into the bakery.

“Just now, thought I could use a coffee before work.” Hoseok answered, but he was already feeling that something wasn’t right. “Jimin?”

“Kibum is here.” Jimin said quietly and gazed at Hoseok, who could only widen his eyes in shock.

“How? When did you even meet? Didn’t he leave for good?” Hoseok kept asking, putting his hand around Jimin’s shoulder. He immediately had flashbacks about the time he and Kibum were together, about the amount of time Jimin needed to get better after they separated. He was always next to Jimin and those weren’t good news at all. He was scared that the past might repeat again.

“I saw him down in Myeongdong, but I didn’t talk to him, nor do I intend to.” Jimin sighed and shook his head. “Don’t worry, I’m okay.” he smiled reassuringly at his best friend, seeing his worried expression. He knew Hoseok would understand the best and that’s why he told him.

“Do you want to come at my place tonight? We can order Chinese and watch something. I don’t want you to be alone Jimin.”

“Don’t worry Hoseok, I really promise not to do anything rash. And it’s Friday I know that you have better ideas on how to spend it, with Taehyung for example. I know you barely have time to meet these days.”

“You’re my best friend, there aren’t any better ideas except me wanting to be there for you and I’m more than sure Taehyung would agree with me, you know how much he thinks of you.” There was a hint of both worry and strictness in Hoseok’s tone and Jimin was more than sure that Hoseok would do the impossible for him.

“I would much rather cook for myself and maybe go bother Yoongi hyung too. Go finish work and relax with Taehyung, I will be okay.” Jimin said and smiled the best he could, because he knew Hoseok would understand his message. The older nodded and sighed

“And how come you never call me hyung anymore? You are practically begging me to ask the question.”

“What question?”

“Do you like Yoongi?” Hoseok just said bluntly, figuring that was the best way to do it.

“Whoa there hyung…”

“I won’t tell him don’t worry.” Hoseok grinned and hit Jimin’s shoulder playfully. “No, but you seem to have a soft spot for him. Do you really? Yoongi’s quite oblivious, I don’t think he will ever notice that.”

“It’s not like that… I don’t know, I never thought about it this way. He’s special and he understands me, he also cares about me in his own way and that’s all it matters to me. Though, I’m pretty sure he’s a lady killer.”

“Have you actually seen him with a girl? Except of course all the lady population of “Heaven”, which I’m pretty sure exceeds the age of 60.” Hoseok said suggestively.

“No, but-“

“I’m just saying to be honest to yourself. Past is the past, right? You say that yourself, so the past stays there and it isn’t bound to repeat again itself. Allow yourself to be happy Jimin.”

“Hmm…”

Jimin didn’t answer, but Hoseok didn’t push the matter further, because maybe it really was too early to say that Jimin had developed any feelings for Yoongi, but Hoseok was sure that even if he had, the younger needed time to figure it out, especially after seeing Kibum again. They managed to avoid talking about him again and Hoseok really just wanted to never mention him again. Maybe Fate wouldn’t make them meet ever again.

--

“Jimin?” Yoongi wondered to himself, seeing a familiar figure in the distance. It was past 11pm and Yoongi had realized that he and Namjoon were out of ramyun, so he was in front of the convenience store that was close to his dorms. But he was sure that was Jimin, currently walking away. Yoongi also knew how much Jimin disliked the cold, and especially being out in the cold, and he found himself running towards the boy, trying not to fall because of the slipper snow.

“Stop… stop!” Yoongi yelled and rested his hands on his knees, panting. Running in the snow could definitely be a handful for a person who did no exercise.

“Hyung? What are you doing here?”

“Well I kind of I live here, what are you doing so far away from your apartment?” Yoongi retorted.

“Now that you say it… I don’t know, I must’ve subconsciously come all the way here. I was just taking a walk after I went to “Heaven”.” Jimin said and looked around as if he wasn’t aware of his surroundings until now.

“How does one take a walk in the freezing cold to a place twenty minutes away?” Yoongi questioned and expected Jimin to laugh and say something back, but he didn’t. The older figured out that there was something else occupying his mind. He sighed and apologized mentally to Namjoon for practically leaving him hungry.

“Want to go eat ddeokbokki? There is closed stall near.” Yoongi asked quietly and went closer to the younger, giving him his own gloves. “My treat.”

“But hyung it’s dark and you have work tomorrow. Don’t worry about me, I will catch a taxi and go home now, I feel tired too.” Jimin said with a raspy voice after putting on the gloves and Yoongi got scared that he might have cried before they met. He didn’t want to leave him alone, because he didn’t trust him on going home directly, especially after seeing him all the way here subconsciously.

“Come on, let me walk you until somewhere. I needed some break anyways.”

“But it’s cold.”

“Says the person who doesn’t even have gloves with himself. I’ll be fine.”

Jimin smiled and nodded. He hadn’t be able to see Yoongi for five days and he was more than happy he did now. Maybe that was his intention in the first place, although he didn’t even realize he had missed the older. Before following Yoongi to the less snowy road he took off one of his scarves and put it around Yoongi’s neck without even warning him, so he couldn’t protest.

“Now we’re even.” Jimin grinned and showed the gloves and Yoongi couldn’t really say anything, because all it mattered was that Jimin didn’t seem like he was about to cry anymore.

They caught up on what have they been doing the last week, about university, assignments and even the new winter menu in “Heaven”. Both of them were walking slowly and enjoying each other’s companies. They completed each other so naturally and found comfort in being around one another in a way that even their bodies knew that, although it seemed like they didn’t seem to understand it themselves.

--

“Jimin! Hey Jimin! It’s you right?”

Jimin froze and Yoongi only looked at him confusedly. Seeing that the younger wasn’t moving he thought that he maybe didn’t hear it, so he looked around and saw a figure approaching them.

“I think that person is calling for you.” Yoongi said and looked at Jimin again, who for some reason had his fists curled in a ball.

“It must be a mistake hyung, let’s go.” Jimin’s voice cracked, but his manner was insisting and he started walking faster, so Yoongi could do nothing but follow.

“Jimin, turn around! I know you can hear me.” The stranger yelled again and there was no way it was a mistake now, since he was practically next to them. Yoongi saw Jimin shut his eyes tightly for a second, but he turned around. The older wondered if that person really was someone Jimin knew.

“That’s a bit cold ignoring me like this, even though we haven’t seen each other in three years.” the person said and came even closer to Jimin, completely ignoring Yoongi. “What, are you still mad about it? I thought you’ve forgotten about it already… or maybe not, considering the way you ran away when you saw me in Myeongdong.” his voice sounded mocking and the smile that was tugging on his lips didn’t really reach his eyes. Yoongi really didn’t like the way the stranger was talking to the younger and the way he looked at him and the latter looked as if he was about to be sick.

“Why are you talking to me? If you think I’ve forgotten about you then you should act like it.” Jimin’s voice was cold and distant, making Yoongi feel shivers all over his back. It really reminded him to the Jimin two months ago on his birthday, but this time there was no alcohol present.

“Oh? Little kitten has gotten a lot braver I see. What you’ve gotten yourself a bodyguard?” the stranger spat and looked at Yoongi for the first time, who didn’t even budge at the sarcastic remark.

“And you haven’t changed none a bit.”

“When did you learn to talk back like this? You couldn’t even raise your voice at me before. But this sounds fun. Are you free now? We can talk about this in a place more private than here and without any other eyesores.” Kibum whispered into Jimin’s year, making the younger cringe in disgust. He really hadn’t changed at all, the same old manipulative and selfish person, only now Jimin knew that. Seeing that he had no response, Kibum smirked and grabbed Jimin’s wrist, ready to drag him into his car that was near them.

“Let go before I punch that pretty face of yours.” Yoongi spat in Kibum’s face and pulled Jimin back.

“Ah, so that isn’t just some man you’ve managed to manipulate with your cute face to slave you around, you actually got yourself a boyfriend again. Tsk, I was sure you would never be able to get over me, so I was going to be nice and dedicate tonight to you. Not going to happen if you don’t get rid of him.” Kibum said, sounding really convinced that Jimin was just going to drop everything and crawl back to him again. But the younger only started laughing and pulled his wrist away from Kibum.

“I’m not you Kibum, I don’t play around with humans like they are nothing. I wouldn’t come anywhere near you ever again, so you can just move to your next target. You’ve got many of them, right? Or was I special to you? Did you realize that I was the only one that actually treated you like human and not like some object? Too bad.”

Kibum squinted his eyes and took a step back.

“Since when do you think you were ever that important to have left even the slightest remaining that you ever even existed in my life, don’t make me laugh. You were just one of the many, the only thing different was that you were too stupid to see reality, so I took advantage of that, blame it to yourself! You’re still one naïve and pathetic nobody that believes in himself way too much. You’re nothing Park Jimin, get over yourself.”

Next thing Kibum did was spit out some blood because Yoongi really knew where to punch. It’s been so long since Yoongi used his fists, but his light weight definitely didn’t fit the strength of his punch.

“Shut the up. Don’t you feel bad for embarrassing yourself so much? You see that Jimin doesn’t give a damn about you, whoever you are, so you’re doing the first that that humans do when they don’t know how to defend themselves – you start attacking the other person’s insecurities. Well guess what, you get over yourself since Jimin is everything you’ll never be and he certainly isn’t nothing.” Yoongi said ever so quietly, but with such a stern-looking face that even Jimin could feel how angry he actually was. He thought that Yoongi wasn’t even able to hurt a fly, but seeing the blood on his knuckles he completely changed the way he saw the older.

“Get your pathetic out of here before I call the cops.” Yoongi concluded and took Jimin’s hand in his, turning away from Kibum.

“You’re going to regret this.” The said yelled after them, but Yoongi only squeezed Jimin’s hand tighter and started walking faster.

--

When Yoongi had dragged them practically two streets away from the earlier scene, he finally stopped and turned to the younger, who hadn’t said a single word since. He reached out his hand to the other’s and took off his glove.

“Did he hurt your wrist?” Yoongi asked while gently exploring the skin around it for possible wounds, even though it was too dark to see anything. Jimin didn’t say anything again nor pulled his hand back. Yoongi looked at him and he felt his stomach drop. Jimin was crying soundlessly, looking at his feet. Yoongi felt even more enraged at the person earlier and all the things he said to him, but now that wasn’t important. He gently pulled Jimin close and wrapped his hands around him, his back and whispering comforting words. Jimin immediately buried his face into Yoongi’s shoulder and let his hands go around his waist, mouting ‘Sorry’ over and over and over again.


A/N Hello guys ;; I'm sorry it took me so long to update, I hope the lenght of the chapter makes up for that ;u;

I was surpised to see how many of you were curious about Jimin's background and his story and even though I originally only intended to mention it briefly I decided to rewrite the part and broaden it. I may not mention Kibum again, but I really hope that clears up some things about Jimin's character and his behaviour in the previous chapter! If there is something else that confuses you please do tell me ;u;

Thank you to all of the  100 subscribed, to those who aren't, but still give this sotry a chance, to those who take their time to comment and to all the silent readers really thank you ♥