Kiwi slices

"Heaven" bakery

In all honesty Yoongi wasn’t too fond of sweets or the grey apron that came with working in “Heaven” bakery, but that really didn’t stop him for choosing the job. It takes him no more than fifteen minutes to get there and it wasn’t that far away from his university either. But mostly, although he would never admit it, Yoongi actually really enjoyed the company of elderly people. Since the bakery also offered a variety of teas and even chess boards, the majority of the customers were exactly the elderly people in the neighborhood, who appreciated the warm and welcoming atmosphere. Yoongi was never the most talkative kid around but he had a soft spot for those regular customers and they loved him as well, him and the charming smile that appeared when they would praise him for his hard work or just wish him luck for assignments and exams. All in all, the pros outweighed the cons and Yoongi soon felt comfortable with working in “Heaven”, although he wondered how his boss came up with such a cheesy name.

 

“Please go home safely! It might start raining any time soon.” Yoongi said gently to the grandma that was about to leave the bakery. It was late in the afternoon and it was gloomy outside, typical weather in Seoul for the beginning of spring. If he could he would walk her home, but he had to be satisfied with just lending her one of the bakery’s umbrellas, just in case.
“Such a sweet boy. This old ‘ma here is already considering of coming back.” Yoongi then beamed and said that he would be waiting for her.

At around 7pm it really started pouring and Yoongi frowned. Rain wasn’t one of his favorite things and he hoped it would stop until his shift ended. He decided to study since the bakery was empty, rain made the knees of most elderly people hurt or something. But then he heard the door chime ring and he was surprised to see a boy around his age, probably a bit younger, enter while shivering a little. His clothes looked soaked and his hair was a damp mess. He looked around and since Yoongi was the only worker around he greeted him in surprisingly cheerful manner and sat on the table that was the closest to air conditioner. It was a pet peeve of Yoongi when waiters/staff immediately went to the customer to take their order and he disliked doing that, so he gave the bit some time to collect his thoughts and to mostly heat himself.

 

“Hi. Are you ready to place your order?” Yoongi asked way too formally and placed a towel on the table. Whenever he had a shift together with a colleague they mostly let him work with the elderly customers, so he was still a bit stiff with other customers, even though they seemed to be around the same age.


“Oooh, thank you for the towel. I should probably start checking the forecast and use this smartphone for something useful, I got really lucky that the bakery was on my way and-“he suddenly shut up and looked up at Yoongi, an almost guilty look was visible on his face. “I’m sorry, I blabber too much. A kiwi and mango cake with chocolate sprinkles and some really warm tea.” Yoongi nodded and smiled a little at how honest and bright the customer was while writing down the order.


“Do you want the cake packed for home or for immediate consumption?”


“Well, I don’t think I can go home any time soon, so immediate consumption it is.”


“Understood, please wait until I call out your name.” Yoongi said and turned away and Jimin couldn’t help but wonder why was he so stiff, as if Jimin was some respected customer or something. But his train of thoughts was interrupted by a slightly embarrassed looking Yoongi, who asked “I didn’t catch your name?” Jimin couldn’t help smiling at the look on his face and then introduce himself properly.

 

While Yoongi was preparing the order he kept taking secret glances to the unusual customer. He was prepared to be met by a grumpy and most likely rude young man that hated the world for making him face the anger of the spring rain, which was probably what Yoongi would’ve felt like, but the cheerfulness and the cheeky smile of the boy was really refreshing and it definitely lit the mood in the gloomy bakery. Jimin, as he introduced himself, was sitting as close to the air-con as possible, as if that could speed up the process of drying. Yoongi felt his cheeks slightly tugging again.

“Here you are. The extra kiwi slices are from me.” Yoongi said and Jimin beamed again just like a little child.

“I suddenly feel lucky that the rain caught me unprepared. Kiwis are my favorite.” Jimin blabbered again while stuffing himself. Yoongi was about to return to his notes but he was interrupted by some muffled sounds.

“Sorry…?”

“I wanted to ask how old are you? You keep talking to me as if I’m older and it’s weird.” Jimin said matter-of-factly and the curiosity was obvious in his eyes. Yoongi decided to take the chance and try and be talkative.

“How old do you think I am?” He smiled a little at the sudden change in Jimin’s expression, who evidently didn’t expect his question to be met with a question.

“I don’t know, I want to dare and say that you’re even younger than me, but I have the feeling I’m going to be really wrong.” The way Jimin phrased his sentence made it obvious that he was talking about Yoongi’s appearance, and mostly his height. Yoongi was quite short. “I’m 19 by the way, turning 20 soon.”

“Twenty one.” Yoongi simply said and went behind the counter, ignoring the little sheepish smile that reappeared on Jimin’s lips.

 

 

Yoongi was really starting to doubt his own age too. He felt sluggish and rusty just like an old man and he blamed it all on the still pouring rain. It was almost 10pm and he was doing the preparations for closing. But, needless to say, Jimin still hadn’t left. He was listening to music and writing something, homework Yoongi assumed, and as patiently as ever was waiting for the rain to stop. Yoongi was grateful though, because he wasn’t all alone in a way, even if they didn’t talk much. Also because Jimin was so naturally friendly that even Yoongi’s stiffness and clumsiness didn’t make the things between them awkward. At times the younger would remove his headphones and strike a conversation with Yoongi or simply ask him something he’s curious about and Yoongi found himself answering willingly.  

 

“Whoa is it really 10pm?” Jimin suddenly stood up and started shoving his things in his backpack. His moves were panicky and Yoongi wondered if he should’ve warned him earlier that they were really close to closing time. The younger groaned after peeking out of the window, seeing that the rain was still going strong. He ruffled his hair in frustration and made a weird ‘shield’ over his head from his already wet jacket.

“Wait!” Yoongi almost yelled but he also didn’t know why and he felt his face heating up. “I mean that-“

“Oh right,” Jimin exclaimed and took out his wallet. “I have to admit that this was best service I’ve gotten in a while.” he said and left some money on the table.

Yoongi stared at him as he was about to leave and something in his head told him to do something so he did.

“Where do you live?” he blurted out.

Oh damn.

Jimin quirked an eyebrow at the sudden question.

“That sounded wrong and all but I meant that if you don’t have an umbrella and you treasure your health I could walk you to somewhere close you live with mine. It sounded better in my head.” Now who’s blabbering.

Yoongi should just stick up with serving elder people because he gets messed up otherwise. Or because of Jimin himself, who suddenly seemed greatly amused by the older’s frustration.

“That was really cheesy.”

Yoongi groaned and threw the towel he was previously wiping the tables with at him. Jimin actually liked how Yoongi now seemed a lot more comfortable around him. It was endearing, to him at least.

 

 

It was interesting for Jimin to witness the closing of the bakery and all the work that had to be done, as it was a first for him. Yoongi worked in silence, precise and quick, and the younger frankly couldn’t tear his eyes off of him. Jimin genuinely liked people, he liked communicating and making new friends was never a trouble for him, because who doesn’t like easy going and non-awkward people? Now he was interested in the older. He misunderstood him as unsociable and stiff in the beginning, but with the more time he spent with Yoongi, the more he saw new and new traits of his character appear. And he surely didn’t expect for the offer that escaped out of his mouth, so by the end of the night he had decided to do what he was best at and befriend the barista.

 


A/N I'm sorry I kind of lied because I have no idea what is the weather like in Seoul during the spring o<-<
I've been feeling 250% uninspired for way too long and I spent way too much time on prompt blogs hoping that I might find something that will inspire me again, but after a week of failures I decided to finish this draft i've had half written for a few months and hope for the best ;u; I'm sorry for mistakes ;;
Ay gif of the day ♥ (credit)