The beginning...

You're the Reason I'm Smiling

 

I am sitting on a bench in a wonderful garden; full of white and blue roses and a small fountain in front of me, with birds are chirping and flying blissfully around me. I look around and found that I am wearing a nice beige-colored dress or gown that is really not my style and I have never worn before. What am I? A Cinderella? I look at my foot. Heels? Oh no, who made me wear this kind of things. I quickly take out the shoes and put it beside me. I take a deep breath and exhale. This feels so good. Then, I get up from the seats and wander around the garden with barefoot. A beautiful blue butterfly appears in my sight. It’s like giving me a signal to follow it. Is this for real? May be I’ll meet a very very very handsome prince and we’ll live happily ever after! Okay. I really do sounds like a Cinderella now. But, who knows right? I quickly follow the butterfly. It guides me to another garden, out from the white-blue rose’s garden. This garden I am standing still right now is a quite ‘empty’ garden with just a fountain waterfall. At least the fountain is bigger. I think. Then, I saw someone is standing facing the fountain waterfall with a white prince suit. I just can see his back. Quite tall. Six feet, may be. You gotta be kidding me. How on earth can I be this lucky? Now I’m running towards that so-called prince. Running? Oh, come on. Am I ‘chasing’ a prince now? May be the ‘prince’ heard my foot step, he’s turning around. But then, before I could see his face, I fall.

   ‘DUMMM!!

   ‘Ouch!!’ I heard my own voice. I open my eyes and look around. I’m back in my room. I get up while holding my head. It hurts! I look at the full-length mirror at the corner of my room and grin at the reflection of myself. I get up on my bed and try to think about the dream. ‘Who is he? Yahh..Shin Soo Jae.. Why must you fall down from the bed at a very critical time like that?’ I knock my head. ‘At least not until I see his face first.’ I knock my head once again. Then, I heard someone knock the door.

   ‘The door is unlocked. You can come in, Sunghye-ya!’ Who else will come to my room at a time like this? It must be Sunghye. What time is it now? I grab my iPhone. Few more minutes before the time to have a shower. The door is open, and Sunghye is leaning half of her body inside my room while one of her hand is holding the doorknob.

   ‘Did you fall down from the bed again?

   ‘Err.. I guess so.. You know me, dear friend.’ I grin at her. She giggles and shook her head.

   ‘What is it now? Trying to chase for a ‘prince’?’ She’s already alert to all the things happened to me.

   ‘Yahh.. Park Sunghye. How do you know that?’ I laugh.

   ‘It’s true? Cheongmal-yoh? Ahh..who’s that unlucky ‘prince’..Okay. Enough already. Look at the time now. You have morning classes right?’ She switches on the lights and walks out from my room.

   ‘Correct!’ I quickly get up and grab my towel at the towel’s holder beside my desk. I walk out from my room and head towards the dining table. There’s kimchi, some rice and dotorimuk (acorn jelly salad).

   ‘Hmm.. Smells so good..

   ‘Shower first!’ I heard Sunghye’s voice from the kitchen. I laugh and quickly walk towards the bathroom. I’m living in an apartment with three rooms and two bathrooms along with Sunghye and my older sister, Shin Ha Mi. We have to live separately from our parents since we are studying here, in Seoul while my lovely parents are staying in Incheon. Not that far but it still take some times to go back and forth from Incheon to Seoul and back to Incheon. So, my sister and I decided to find an apartment in Seoul. It happens that my friend, Sunghye, who is my best friend since high school and are studying in the same university as I am, is finding somebody to stay with her in the apartment. We divide the rental fee into three. Sunghye is the ‘chef of the house’ as she really loves to cook. She’s really good at it. I remember the first time I taste her chicken chop, I really praised her. It’s really delicious! Not just in Western food, she’s good in Korean, Japanese and Malaysian food too. She used to stay in Malaysia for few years. Sunghye and I are both 21 years old and taking degree with different courses in Kyung Hee University. She’s in Environment Health and I am in Accountancy. It’s our second year. As for Ha Mi unnie, she’s taking masters in Nutrition and Dietetic in Seoul National University. She’s 24 years old. I finish my shower and get out from the bathroom and head towards the dining table. My sister and Sunghye are starting to eat already.

   ‘Yahh.. How dare you guys start without me.’ I take a seat next to Sunghye.

   ‘Why must we wait for you?’ Ha Mi unnie says with a frown. She looks at Sunghye. Sunghye nod her head.

   ‘True. I’ll just wait if it is No Minwoo that is coming to me.’ Sunghye says with a grin. I roll my eyes.

   ‘Aren’t Minwoo is mine?’ I look at her.

   ‘Aren’t Leeteuk is yours?’ Sunghye look me and I give her a grin.

   ‘He’s still mine.’ I say.

   ‘Greedy!’ Ha Mi says and knocks my head. ‘Whatever it is, Kim Heechul is for me!’

   ‘Yeah. Heechul, Heechul and Heechul.’  Sunghye and I say in unison. Then, we both giggle. Ha Mi stuck out her tongue at us.

   ‘I’m just being loyal, okay?

   ‘Yeah, of course. What time do your class starts today, Sunghye-ya?’ I look at Sunghye who’s taking some of the kimchi from the large plate in front of us. She’s really good in cooking. All of us take turns doing the things such as cooking and tidying up the house. We do laundry on our own.

   ‘My class starts at 11 today.’ She gives a really big smile to us.

   ‘Woahh..Heaven!!’ My sister and I say out at the same time. Then, we look at each other and laugh. I take some of the kimchi and put it together with a small bowl of rice in front of me.

   ‘Why must my class starts early today…’ I groan lazily and start stuffing the kimchi and rice into my mouth.

   ‘Early? 9 in the morning are not that early. Mine always starts at 9. It’s still heaven for me as I can still lay on my bed till 8 a.m..’ Ha Mi unnie laugh to herself.

   ‘Agree with you, unnie!’ Sunghye said while pointing her chopsticks at Ha Mi.

   ‘Na-du!’ I said while doing the same act as Sunghye.

   ‘Yah.. Eat normally, will you? It’s disgusting!’ Ha Mi unnie says seeing my mouthful of kimchi and rice, yet I still talk. She knocks my head. I swallow those things in my mouth and stuck out my tongue at her.

    ‘I am eating normally!

She ignores me and the three of us continue eating, until the clocks strikes 8.15 a.m. We finish eating and I rush towards my room and starts preparing for the class. Wears my baggy jeans along with my favorite black t-shirt and a snowcap, put the earphones in my ears and grab my sling bag. I look for my books and stuff it in the bags, grab my iPhone and I’m ready!

   ‘Aren’t you going with me?’ Ha Mi unnie asks me the moment I step out from my room. My sister drives to the university. Sometimes, I’ll go with her, only when it’s raining. I usually go to the university either with the public bus or the KTX.

   ‘It’s not raining today, unnie. Plus, I have a date with Yoseob today.’ I glance at Sunghye. Bingo! She’s looking at me. I purse my lips to hide my smile. She had a crush on Yoseob.

  ‘Date? Ahh.. Araso.. I’ll go first then. Annyeong, guys.’ Ha Mi unnie wave at us and walk to the door.    

   ‘I’m going too. Annyeong, Sunghye-ya. Take care! I finish my class at 4 today. Let’s go back together, ara?

   ‘Ara. Take care.

Wohoo. I smell jealousy in her voice just now. I smile to myself.

   ‘Yah! What take you so long? We just have few more minutes! Palli ka ja! Sunghye oddi-so?’ Yoseob grab my hand when he saw me getting out from the elevator. We both run out from the apartment and he drags me to the KTX. Sometimes, Sunghye will join us. Only if she has an early classes. If not, she’ll go by herself.

   ‘Her class starts at 11 today!’ I yell from the back. I can see his nod. I just can follow him without saying anything. He buys the tickets for us and we manage to get into the train. Both of us are gasping and panting. A guy enters the train with gasp and pant too. He’s been running too may be. I cough. The guy makes way to an empty seat. He’s quite tall. Six feet may be. I turn my head to look at the guy again. Six feet?

   ‘Yah..’ gasp, ‘luckily we..’ gasp, ‘made it..’ Gasp. ‘into this train..’ Wheeze. Cough. I can see Yoseob is really out of breath.

   ‘Luckily I didn’t die being drag by you like that!’ I kick his leg.

   ‘If I didn’t drag you here, we’ll definitely be late!’ He said and kicks my left leg, the nearest to him.

   ‘How can you be sure about that?’ I near my face to him. He laughs and pushes away my face from his face. Some of the passengers in the train are looking at us. We grin innocently and make our way to the empty seats.