Chapter 40

Trusting Demons

“What’s up?” N asked, taking a seat beside Hyorin’s bed while his brothers moved to sit or stand not far away.

“I…” she trailed off, “I don’t really know how to say this.”

“Take your time,” Hongbin said, flashing his adorable dimpled smile in hopes of making her feel better.

“You know that meditation state?” Hyorin said, still struggling a little with her words, “well, it kind of puts me in this……internal world?”

“Alright,” N nodded, trying to understand where she was going with this, “what about this internal world.”

Hyorin never got to answer because the six demons suddenly passed out. She bit back a scream, rushing to catch Leo and Ken before the pair hit the ground. Thankfully Hongbin and Hyuk had been sitting at the end of her bed, so when they passed out, they just hit the soft mattress. N slumped over, head landing where Hyorin’s lap had been moments ago. Ravi, unfortunately, slumped over in his seat and fell to the ground with a soft thud. Hyorin moved him to the bed after carefully laying Leo and Ken on the floor.

Hurry up, she heard the serpent’s voice echo in her mind, I got them here as I said I would.

Hyorin moved back to her former place on the bed, letting N’s head rest on her lap before returning to the internal plain.

Hyorin! Ken yelled the second he saw her, rushing to hug her.

Where is this place? Leo asked, making his way over with the others, looking around carefully so that he didn’t miss anything.

This is that internal plain I was talking about, she explained, it’s where I can communicate with the demonic beasts.

Come again? Hyuk asked

She means us.

The six demons moved into defensive positions around their master, eyes narrowed as they watched the twin wolves making their way over.

Haven’t you ever wondered where your powers came from? The black wolf asked, there are beings like us living in the six of you.

We’re the former beasts that lived in EXO, the white wolf added, I resided in Sehun.

And I in Tao, the black wolf continued, and we were passed on to Hyorin’s mother to save her life before moving to Hyorin with her birth.

I wanted to tell you before, Hyorin said, but they told me not to.

Why haven’t we heard about this before? N asked, calming slightly

Tell me, everyone turned to find the serpent making its way over, what do you think the evil elements of the world would do if they about us? If they knew that the way to make a demon was to tie their soul in with a demonic beast like us? Do you not think that they would then try to manufacture demons? Create armies?

Right, Leo nodded in understanding, it’s for everyone’s benefit if demons don’t know about you, about how we came to be what we are.

So, Hyuk spoke up, I have a fire horse beast living inside me?

Yes, the serpent nodded, since that is the form you can change into, I would assume that is the form of the demonic beast living within you.

Cool, the youngest smiled

Why are we here? Ravi asked, I mean, if we aren’t supposed to know about this, why let us in? How did we even get here?

You are here under my power, the serpent replied, one of the few things I am able to do while within a host. As for why….you will recall that your master was recently injured, correct?

Yes, N nodded, sending a sharp glare at both Ravi and Hongbin.

The serpent proceeded to explain about shadow users and the effects of their power. With each word, Hyorin watched as the expression of the six demons grew darker and darker. They all looked so upset and she just wanted to comfort them, assure them that this wasn’t their fault.

This was planned, Leo suddenly spoke up, Nayoung knew that this would happen.

I would assume so, the serpent nodded, it is possible that she had planned for her shadow user to attack Hyorin, to leave behind some of his shadows in her body. If she did not know of this, then she is a fool.

She isn’t a fool, Hongbin sighed, she’s too smart about everything.

You need my power to burn it out? Leo asked, earning a nod from all three beasts, then let’s go.

Our brothers have taken to avoiding the base of the mountains, the white wolf spoke up, so you should try going there first. Best of luck, Hyorin!

Leo started walking in the direction the white wolf had indicated, assuming that the others would follow. After a moment to say goodbye to the beasts, Hyorin followed him. Hyuk waved before locking arms with Ken and Hongbin and following. Ravi nodded before joining them, running slightly to keep up. N stayed where he was, glaring at the serpent.

That time Hyorin was here after Rina left, N said, something happened to her. What was it?

Our kind do not trust easily, the serpent replied, it took ages for each of us to find our hosts. I searched for many years before finding Suho. We did not pick Hyorin to be our host. Not all of us are happy to have her.

So one of your brothers attacked her, N summarized, who?

The blame for that rests upon me, the serpent replied. N could detect a faint trace of regret in the beast’s voice, but not enough to quell his anger.

Never harm my master again, N growled, or I’ll find a way to remove you from her and kill you.

I doubt you would be able to remove me, the serpent said, but I do not doubt your ability to kill me. You are very protective of Hyorin. That is something I am thankful for. You have done a good job keeping her alive.

I don’t need your thanks, N scoffed, I just need you to never hurt her again and to make sure none of your brothers try to kill her. I can’t protect her in here, so you’ll have to do it for me.

Understood, the serpent nodded, now run along, boy. Before you are left behind.

N nodded before running off after the others.

A/N: I think several answers were provided in this chapter, so….success!! now on to burning out the shadows!!