Chapter 9

Trusting Demons

“So how did you manage to use your healing powers?” Ravi asked as he, Hyorin, and N sat in a circle – ore like a triangle – in the backyard.

“I just pictured my injuries healing themselves,” she told him, trying to avoid mentioning anything about her fall down the stairs at school. VIXX was already upset enough about what had happened a few days before, they didn’t need another reason to charge in and rip the heads off her bullies.

“And that was the first time you used them?” N asked, “How did you know it would work?” Something told him that she wasn’t telling them something. When she just shrugged, looking slightly worried, he let it go.

“Kris was teaching you how to fly, right?” Ravi clarified, dropping the topic as well, “so why don’t we start with that.”

“Right,” Hyorin stood up and took a few steps back before letting her eyes close.

She let her mind go blank before starting to will herself into the air. Just like she had done with her healing, she didn’t put a lot of force into the though. She just let the idea float around in her head, like a helpful suggestion for her powers instead of a command.

“You can do it,” she heard N whisper to himself, a thought that Ravi echoed soon after.

Apparently these were the magic words because she soon felt herself shooting off into the sky. Hyorin just let herself get higher and higher for a few seconds before willing herself to stop the same way she’d willed herself to fly.

On the ground, N and Ravi cheered, happy to see her in the sky. But then they remembered something very important. This was Hyorin’s first time in the air and they couldn’t fly if she needed help.

“LEO!” the pair yelled, turning and running into the house in search of the heat demon.

Luckily Leo had been on his way outside to see how the training was going so it didn’t take them long to find him.

“Hyung,” Ravi said, “please change into your beast form.”

“Why?” Leo raised an eyebrow, wondering why in the world they would need him to change forms.

When both pointed up, Leo raised his other eyebrow to show he still didn’t understand what they were getting at.

“Hyorin,” N said and Leo realized what was going on.

Their master was up in the sky, a place that neither could go. If they wanted to follow her, they needed someone who could also fly. As luck would have it, Leo could fly thanks to his beast form – a griffin.

“Get on,” Leo instructed once he’d changed into a fearsome griffin, “make it quick.”

“Right,” N nodded, jumping onto Leo’s back and the pair took off into the sky after Hyorin.

“I’m flying,” she grinned slightly, clearly proud of herself for finally managing to get more than a couple of inches off the ground.

“That you are,” N smiled back, leaning over Leo’s head, much to the heat demon’s annoyance, so he could get a better look at her, “and so high, too. Not bad for your first try with me teaching you, huh?”

“Kris appa is going to be so proud to hear how high I got,” she laughed, letting herself drop a little before rising back up so she was at eye level with N.

“Do you think you can land?” N asked, trying his best to hide the flash of jealousy he felt when she talked about how proud Kris would be instead of how great a teacher N was. After all, it was silly to get jealous  over something like that. Kris was her father and had started teaching her to fly first, of course she’d be thinking about how proud he was be.

“Not sure,” Hyorin frowned, “I don’t know if I can. Not from this high up. What if I descend too fast?”

“I’ll talk you through it,” N smiled, “just go slow, alright?” she nodded before starting to drop as slowly as she could. Leo followed, keeping a close eye on her to make sure her speed didn’t suddenly pick up. A fast descent was fine for him; Leo was a demon, his body could handle the impact with the ground. But Hyorin was human and the human body was a very fragile thing in comparison.

Eventually, the three landed and Hyorin wasted no time in hugging all the pair along with Ravi before rushing into the house so that she could call Kris and tell him about how her training had gone.

“Tomorrow we should practice her teleportation,” Ravi suggested and N nodded.

“Just think about freezing everything but us,” Ravi instructed and Hyorin nodded, eyes closed as she focused her attention on trying to freeze time.

With the help of VIXX, Hyorin had gotten the hang of three of her powers. She could fly now, not very fast but she could get pretty high up without a problem. She’d also improved her telekinesis and was now able to move heavier objects, like the fridge, without much trouble. Thanks to a lot of practice with Hongbin and Hyuk over the past two weeks, Hyorin could now teleport from the back yard to anywhere in the house without a second thought.

Now with Ravi’s help, they were hoping that she could learn how to freeze time for a few moments.

Given, VIXX would have liked to teach her how to control some of her other powers that the felt would serve her better in a fight, but they weren’t going to push for it. Hyorin was scared of using any of her more destructive powers – like fire. No matter how much VIXX comforted her, she was worried that she would lose control and hurt – or even kill – someone while using her more destructive powers.

“Is time frozen yet?” she asked, pulling Ravi’s attention back to the present. He looked around and found that the birds were still flying, signalling that no, time had not frozen yet.

“No,” he tried to sound comforting, “try again. Don’t focus too hard, alright?” she nodded before trying again.

Who would have thought Tao’s power would be so complex?

“Hyorin?” Ravi suddenly said, looking around with a growing smile, “open your eyes.”

“I did it?” she whispered, looking around herself once she’d opened her eyes. A smile started to grow on her face and time started once again because she’d lost focus. Ravi took notice of this as his power worked the same way. The moment he lost focus, his illusions failed.

From inside the house, the others watched and Hyorin pulled Ravi into a hug, thanking him again and again for helping her. Hyuk and Hongbin laughed to themselves, enjoying how happy their master was. The three oldest scowled slightly, jealous of the fact she was hugging Ravi and not them. The jealous feeling was a bit stronger with Leo because Hyorin was still shy around him, going as far as to avoid him sometimes.

Never before had Leo had problems getting close to his past masters – the ones that treated him and his brothers well anyway. But things were different with Hyorin and he had no idea how to fix things. Ken’s relationship with Hyorin wasn’t that great either. She just wasn’t comfortable around him after yelling at him all those weeks ago. Ken had forgiven her, but it was clear to him – after Hongbin pointed it out – that she hadn’t forgiven herself for saying what she had said to him.

N just wished she was hugging him instead of Ravi.

A/N: aww, poor Leo and Ken. Hopefully they’ll get closer to Hyorin in the future. there will be another update tomorrow and then we'll return to the normal update system