Chapter 37

Trusting Demons

Hongbin and Ravi frowned as they watched Hyorin lightly dozing in her chair between N and Hyuk’s beds. Their poor master was so worried lately that they were starting to fear for her health. All the time she’d spent the past two days with N and Hyuk weren’t helping her condition either.

“Hyorin,” Hongbin called out, making his way over to her, “I was wondering if you’d like to go out with us?”

“Huh?” she blinked, mind sluggish due to lack of sleep, “go out where? And with who?”

“Me and Ravi,” Hongbin explained, “and just….out. I didn’t really give it much thought where exactly we would go. Maybe we can just go out to get something to eat.”

“I’d like that,” Hyorin smiled after a moment of thought only to frown moments later, “but isn’t that kind of dangerous? With Jr, Mark, Yugyeom, and Youngjae around shouldn’t we stay close to home?”

“We’ll be fine,” Ravi assured her, “Bin and I are powerful demons. We can look after you and ourselves just fine.”

“Alright,” Hyorin nodded, “but I think we should get Lo and Ken to ok it before we go out.”

“It will be fine,” Ravi assured her, “don’t worry.”

After a bit more pestering and promises that everything would be fine, Hyorin headed out with Ravi and Hongbin. She still wanted to tell Leo and Ken, but Ravi and Hongbin kept insisting that they could handle it and protect her. if she went to the older demons, it would hurt the younger pair. They would think that she didn’t trust them or have faith in them and she didn’t want them to feel like that.

--

“See,” Ravi smiled as the three walked along the sidewalk, “nothing’s happened. And we’re so close to home, too.”

“Yeah,” Hongbin nodded, “I don’t think they’d attack when we’re only a few blocks from the boarding house.”

“Yeah,” Hyorin smiled a little, but she had a bad feeling.

Her gut – or the demonic beasts living inside of her – was telling her that something wasn’t right. Something was going to go oh so very wrong and soon. But Ravi and Hongbin had a point. Nayoung couldn’t be so bold as to attack them so close to home. JB had said that his former master was a lot of things, but stupid wasn’t one of them.

“Well,” the three turned to find the four Got7 demons that they would have liked to avoid standing only a few feet behind them, “didn’t expect to see you three here.”

“Just the three of you?” Mark looked genuinely surprised, “Really?”

“Are you asking for us to kill you?” Youngjae added, frowning slightly, “sure you aren’t far from home, but you aren’t that close either. Leaving with only two demons to protect you is just so stupid. Leaving with your most useless demons is even more foolish.”

“Shut up,” Ravi frowned, “we aren’t useless.”

“Prove it,” Yugyeom yelled, his shadow already turning into a knife. He charged at Hyorin who quickly grabbed both Ravi and Hongbin and teleported out of Yugyeom’s path.

“We have to fight,” Hyorin said, trembling slightly. She did not like her odds of surviving this fight, even with Ravi and Hongbin helping her.

“Right,” Ravi nodded before changing into his beast form, a large black fox.

Mark charged at the three alongside Yugyeom. Jr stood back, but used his powers to several tree roots at the group. Hyorin through up a wall of fire, burning Jr’s attack and blocking the other two. Ravi watched, waiting for the moment when Youngjae came through the fire. Hongbin, unsure of what to do, wrapped his arms around Hyorin and used his powers to keep her calm.

He knew that she was scared, he could feel her fear so strongly that it made his head spin. He could not allow her to feel like that. If not because he was her demons then because her fear could cause problems for her power usage and cost her this fight.

“Hongbin,” Hyorin said, giving him a small smile, “please run home and get the others. Ravi and I will be fine.”

“Alright,” Hongbin nodded after a long moment of thinking her request over, “I’ll go. Be careful.”

Hongbin took off running, but he didn’t get very far. Mark had run around Hyorin’s wall of fire and gone after Hongbin the second her figured out what the empath demon was trying to do. The speed demons rushed to stand in front of Hongbin who accidently ran into him. As Hongbin tried to regain his balance, Mark took the opportunity to punch Hongbin in the face. Hongbin fell back with the force, landing on his with a groan.

“Hongbin!” Hyorin yelled trying to focus on keeping Yugyeom and Jr back with her fire wall while Ravi chased Youngjae around, keeping the ghost demon from getting near Hyorin.

“I’ll be fine,” Hongbin yelled back, spitting out some blood and a tooth onto the ground, “don’t worry about me.”

It was unfortunate that Hongbin was wrong. He wasn’t fine. Thanks to Mark’s gift, it was easy for him to beat Hongbin up. He moved to fast for Hongbin to process where he was or when an attack was coming, meaning he wasn’t able to block anything. each hit he took drew out pained groans which captured Hyorin’s attention.

Slowly, her fire wall started to burn out, her focus no longer on keeping it up. She didn’t even notice, too worried about Hongbin to realized she was giving Jr the perfect chance to attack. Ravi did noticed and ran to her side. The illusion demon pushed Hyorin out of the path of one of Jr’s roots. However the root hit him, sending him crashing into a nearby wall.

Ravi hit the wall and then the ground, coughing up some blood before trying and failing to get up.

“Ravi!” Hyorin yelled, a horrible feeling of guilt forming in her gut. This was all her fault, she was the cause of all of this.

Her lack of attention gave Yugyeom a break from her flames, the fire wall dying down to nothing so that he could just step over it to get to her. Hyorin looked up just in time to see Yugyeom’s shadow blade drawing closer to her stomach. She teleported, but not in time. The blade left her with a nasty gash across her stomach, the blood quickly staining her shirt as she pressed her arm against the wound in hopes that the pressure would stop the bleeding. She tried to heal herself, but she was so unfocused that she couldn’t seem to even begin to heal herself.

“Hyorin!” Hongbin and Ravi yelled as they watched their master fall to her knees.

A/N: I get the feeling that most of you (or all. likely all) are not going to be happy with this. Can’t say I blame you, either. I know I’d be pissed of I was in your shoes.