Chapter 17

Trusting Demons

N and Ravi where quick to move in front of Hongbin and Hyorin, but Leo was faster. The heat demon was in front of the pair before the others could move, arms stretched out like a shield to block the exploding ball BamBam had thrown at them. Leo winced slightly, but he’d raised his own temperature enough create a heat shield around his body that nullified most of the damage.

“Go around front,” he muttered to Hongbin before charging at the explosion demon, Hyuk hot on his heels.

N and Ravi charged at the other demon only to be blown back by a gust of wind. Ken stepped forewords then, throwing out a sound wave that pushed back against the demon’s wind. The unnamed demon was pushed back a little before doubling the force of his wind, sending Ken back.

“We need to go,” Hongbin said, pulling Hyorin away from the fight.

The empath froze when he heard Hyuk let out a yelp of pain. Turning, the escaping pair found Hyuk pressing part of his shirt against his face, the fabric turning red soon after coming into contact with his head. Judging by the wreckage around the youngest, BamBam had set off an explosion near him and a piece of rock had caught him in the head.

“Hyuk,” Hongbin whimpered, fighting the urge to help his brother. Thankfully, before he could do anything that might put Hyorin in a bad spot, Leo crashed into BamBam, knocking the enemy demon away from the maknae.

“We can’t go,” Hyorin said, looking from Leo and Hyuk to Ken, N, and Ravi.

The illusion demon had been knocked back, landing on his arm. Ravi’s arm was clearly broken if the fact is elbow was bent the wrong way was anything to go by. N wasn’t fairing much better against JB. The other demon’s wind kept pushing the leader back all while leaving deep cuts on his face and arms. Ken was doing the best of them all, but even he had taken some damage. A long, deep cut ran across his face, starting just under his left eye and ending around his ear.

“I have to get you someplace safe,” Hongbin argued, but his heart wasn’t in it. It looked like his brothers were going to lose this fight, especially if any of the demons from the mall showed up. But what could he do? His powers weren’t of much use in a fight like this.

An idea struck him.

“Hyorin,” he said, turning to face her, “I have an idea, but I need you to trust me.”

“I trust you,” she nodded in agreement. If his idea helped them defeat the wind demon and BamBam, she’d go along with it.

“I’m going to manipulate your emotions,” Hongbin explained, cupping her face in his hands, “you’re going to feel exactly the same way you did at the mall right before you used your fire powers. Is that alright?” After a pause, she nodded.

If her powers got out of control, VIXX was here to help her. Everything would be fine, right? She just had to trust Hongbin. Feeling her trust in him, Hongbin took a deep breath and started working on her emotions. His master trusted him, he couldn’t let her down by messing up.

--

N winced as another strong gust of wind left yet another gash on his body. This time it was his left leg. The wind cut right though his jeans and left him feeling intense pain. Oh, and feeling the blood that started running down his leg. Glancing over at his brothers, he realized none of them were doing much better.

Leo had a few burns thanks to BamBam’s explosions. Hyuk was now bleeding from his back as well as his head after another explosion had gone off near him. Ravi was trying to defend himself and keep his broken arm protected. Ken was doing the best of all of them, but the sound demon was starting to take more and more hits as the wind demon started to focus on him.

On the bright side, Hongbin had gotten Hyorin out of there.

“Get away from them.”

And that hope was shattered.

A moment later, BamBam was sent flying back into the side of the house thanks to a massive gust of wind. The blow knocked the smaller demon out, leaving his companion alone. The enemy demon would have been knocked out too had he not managed to block most of the blow with his own wind seconds before the attack hit. However he still slid back a few inches, a testament to how much power was behind the strike.

“Hyorin,” N turned, panicked to find his master standing there with Hongbin close behind. Oh, that boy was dead once this was over. N could already see the slight sway in Hyorin’s step was she started making her way closer to him, Ken, and Ravi. She wasn’t ready for this, not by a long shot. How dare Hongbin let this happen.

“Wind?” the enemy blinked in surprise, “didn’t expect that.”

“Good,” Hyorin smiled slightly before sending another attack at him. This time, however, the wind demon didn’t succeed in block her blow and was sent flying just like BamBam. The wind demon crashed into the side of the house, falling to the ground. He tried to get up, but Leo was quick to knock him out.

“Hyorin!” N shouted, rushing to her side just as her legs gave out. She was out cold before she started falling.

“What happened?” Hyuk asked, rushing over to N, “why did she pass out?”

“She wasn’t ready for her wind powers,” Ravi hypothesised, “and this is her first time using them. From what Sehun told me once, his power was really draining on him. It took years for him to build up enough endurance to be able to use it without wearing himself out within a few minutes. Hyorin inherited her wind powers from him, so maybe the same applies to her.”

“I didn’t know she’d use this power,” Hongbin said, coming over to the three, “I just wanted to help.”

“We could have handled it ourselves,” N yelled, looking up from the girl in his arms so he could glare at Hongbin, “you shouldn’t have gotten her involved in this. She could have been hurt.”

“I thought we told you to get her out of here,” Ravi added, “why didn’t you do that? Why did you do something so foolish?”

“Calm down,” Leo told them, “Hongbin tried to get her out of here.”

“Hyorin didn’t want to go,” Hyuk nodded, “she would have tried to help with or without Hongbin hyung.”

“What the hell?” Yong Guk yelled, “What happened?”

“Enemy demons,” Ken replied, grabbing BamBam and the other demon by the backs of their shirts and dragging them over to the human, “is there a place where we can lock them up?”

--

“So JB and BamBam have fallen into enemy hands?” an unseen person responded to Mark’s report.

“Yes,” Mark nodded, “what do you want us to do, master?”

“Leave them for now,” ‘master’ replied, “I want to have a little fun with this.”

A/N: poor Hongbin. He just wanted to help and instead he got yelled at. Cheers to Leo and Hyuk for backing him up, though.