Chapter 19

Trusting Demons

“I knew letting you go down there was a bad idea,” N frowned, looking at Hyorin as she walked beside him. She was tense and kept biting her bottom lip in worry. He should have told her no, then she wouldn’t look so upset. He hated seeing her upset.

“No,” she told him, “I needed to know that. I needed to know what kind of person is trying to kill me.”

“Not yet,” he replied, “you didn’t have to know now.”

“No time like the present, right?” she tried to laugh.

“Don’t worry about it,” N pulled her into a hug, “I’m not going to let whoever is after you get you. Same with the others. We’ll make sure nothing happens to you.”

“Right,” she nodded, trusting N to be right. VIXX hadn’t failed to protect her yet, so why start doubting them now.

“Tomorrow we’ll start training again,” he told her, “but for now let’s go out for lunch. It will get your mind off everything.”

The pair fell into silence as they walked, each trying to think of things to talk about. It had to be something that couldn’t lead them back to the reason they had left the boarding house. However, it seemed like just about every conversation topic lead to that exact thing that they didn’t want to discuss.

“How did you and your brothers get together?” Hyorin suddenly asked, starting N out of his train of thought.

“What?” he asked, trying to understand what she’d asked.

“How did you and your brothers come to form VIXX?” she asked again.

“Why do you want to know that?” she couldn’t possibly find something like that interesting, could she?

“I know how my fathers became EXO,” she told him, “and Taemin oppa told me how SHINee became a group.”

“How did those guys get together?” N asked.

“Don’t avoid the question,” she narrowed her eyes slightly, “I wanna know about VIXX.”

“Alright,” N sighed, “if you really want to know, I’ll tell you. But are you really sure?”

“Yes,” she nodded, “I’m sure.”

“We all started out like EXO,” he explained, “each of us was alone and had no memory of being human, save a couple of blurry images that popped up whenever we tried to remember anything. We were hated by humans everywhere we went. Any human that we crossed paths with tried to kill us. Some tried to force contracts on us, but those humans were rare and easy to get away from.”

“That must have ,” Hyorin said, patting N’s shoulder.

“Eventually, I got sick of it and I planned to lock myself away someplace humans would never find me,” N sighed, “I was heading off to the mountains when I found Hyukkie. He’d been hurt. Some humans broke his leg when he was running away from them. They were looking for him so they could kill him and at first he thought I was one of them, so he screamed in fear and alerted the human to where we were.”

“What happened?” she asked, “did they find you?”

“They walked right by us,” he smiled slightly, “I used my power, so it was like we weren’t even there to them. I ended up taking Hyuk with me to the mountains and we hung out there for a while.”

“A while as in a few months?” Hyorin wondered aloud, “or a few years?”

“Years,” N told her, “but after a few years, Hyuk started wondering if maybe we could do for others what I did for him. Save them, protect them, and give them a home and a family.”

“So then you found everyone?” she smiled slightly, wondering who they picked up first. Ken? Or maybe Hongbin?

“Pretty much,” he nodded, “first was Leo, actually. He was heading to the mountains just as we were leaving them. I asked him to join us, said we were going to find others like us, and he turned me down before I even finished talking. After a week or so of traveling, Hyuk figured out Leo was following us the whole time. I called him out on it and after that he joined us. Still don’t know why, but maybe he needed family just as much as we did.”

“He saw a chance to get family and took it,” she smiled, “or he realized you two would get yourselves into trouble and figured you’d need him to save you.” N playfully pushed her, arguing that he didn’t need Leo to save his .

“Next was Hongbin,” N kept going, “some humans were trying to sell him as slave. Hyuk and I wanted to charge right in there and save him, but Leo pulled us back and made us think of a plan. We ended up waiting until the guy who bought Hongbin was heading away from the town. We ambushed him once he was far enough away and stole Hongbin.”

“Was he hurt?” N didn’t have to explain just what kind of slavery those humans had wanted Hongbin for.

“He’d been hit a few times,” N frowned, “and he had a few cuts and bruises, but otherwise he was fine. They’d only recently caught him, so no one had time to do much to him”

“What about Ken and Ravi?”

“We found Ravi next,” he explained, “he’d been living alone in the wood until some humans burnt his home to the ground. We found him just sitting there, trying to figure out what to do. We offered to take him with us and he agreed.”

“Ken?”

“He was like Hongbin,” N said, trying to avoid going into detail, “but he’d been used as a slave for longer and suffered more. He didn’t even hesitate to join us.” Hyorin thought about the happy go lucky guy she knew and couldn’t believe something like that had happened to him in the past.

“Poor Ken,” she frowned.

“Come on,” N smiled, taking her hand, “that’s in the past now. It doesn’t bother Ken, so it shouldn’t bother you.”

“Right,” she nodded, knowing that N was right.

“Now,” the leader started dragging her off, “let’s get some food. I don’t know about you, but I’m straving.”

A/N: VIXX’s past is kind of depressing. I especially feel guilty doing that to Ken. Sorry this is a day late. I totally spaced that it was Monday and forgot to update. Again, so sorry