Chapter 22

Trusting Demons

When the three first arrived at the building, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. For a moment, Hyorin wondered if maybe they were wrong, that there was nothing there and they were just wasting their time. But just as she was about to walk through the front doors, Ravi grabbed her arm and pulled her back around a corner.

“Look,” Ken whispered, nodding in the direction of a guy standing on the other side of the doors, “wasn’t he at the mall that time we were attacked?”

“He’s one of the Got7 demons,” Hyorin frowned, turning to Ravi and Ken, “I think they called him Jr. If he’s here, then that must mean there’s something important here.”

“Exactly,” Ken nodded, “so we need to get in there.”

“I’ll create an illusion,” Ravi said, “then we can walk right by.” Ken was just about to ask if the younger demon was sure, but then he noticed the look of determination on his face and kept his mouth shut.

Taking a deep breath, Ravi projected his illusion so that the Got7 demon – Jr – wouldn’t be able to see them as they walked by. Truthfully, he didn’t want to be doing this at all. What did he care if the demon in their basement was trapped in an unfair contract? They didn’t know anything about JB. He could actually be going along with his master willingly. This could all be one big set up.

Ravi didn’t want to take that chance, to risk Hyorin’s safety like that. But this was what Hyorin wanted to do – help JB – and Ravi was helpless to go against her.  He just had to hope everything worked out and be ready to protect her with his life if it didn’t.

Carefully, half expecting the enemy demon to figure out that they were there, they entered the library and rushed to a far corner of the building so that they couldn’t be seen and Ravi could drop the illusion that was draining his energy

“There’s so much here,” Hyorin frowned, looking around, “were do you think it could be?”

“Maybe it’s in a book?” Ken suggested, “JB said it would be in an obvious place, right? So obvious that you wouldn’t notice it unless you were looking for it?”

“What books do you normally go to when you come here? Fiction? Non-fiction?” Ravi asked, leaning against a table so that he could stay standing, “we can try there first.”

“Alright,” she nodded before heading off to another corner of the library, “this way.” Ken slung Ravi’s arm over his shoulders before they followed her.

It took a while – about two hours – but the group managed to find what appeared to be a demon contract hidden deep within the pages of a book that Hyorin had just finished reading the week before. Just as Ken was pulling out his lighter, the demon they had been avoiding turned the corner and saw them.

“Run,” Ken instructed Hyorin, passing her the contract and his lighter, “take Ravi and go.”

“Wait,” she frowned, “what about you?”

“I’ll hold him off,” Ken turned her around and shoved her away, doing the same with Ravi as the younger tried to argue, “just get out of here and burn that damned contract.”

Hyorin glanced at Ken once more before grabbing Ravi’s hand and running away.

The pair ran as fast as they could considering that Ravi was still feeling a bit drained from his earlier use of his powers. If he had his way, he’d be resting. But he couldn’t rest, not when there was an enemy demon right behind them. Protecting his master came first, resting second.

“Give me the lighter,” he told her once they got outside. Hyorin handed him said item and held out the contact, waiting for him to burn it.

Ravi didn’t waste any time in lighting the piece of paper on fire.

--

Back in the basement of the boarding house, JB felt a surge of energy run through him signaling that his contract was nothing more than a pile of ash now. A small smile graced his face as he realized Hyorin had stayed good to her word.

He was free.

--

“He’s free,” Hyorin smiled once the contract was nothing but ash, “we did it.”

“Hopefully he hasn’t run off before we get home,” Ravi frowned. Now that JB was free, he could answer some question that VIXX had for him. Mainly, who was his master and what did they want with Hyorin. Oh, and how had his master hurt him? Could they do that to Hyorin, too?

“So you managed to burn the contact,” both turned to find Jr standing on the front steps of the library, looking down at them with a blank look on his face.

“What did you do to Ken hyung?” Ravi growled, moving to stand protectively in front of Hyorin while he glared at their enemy.

“I just knocked him out,” Jr shrugged, “he should be out for a few hours at least.”

“What do you want?” Hyorin asked, cutting Ravi off before the illusion demon could say something that might start a fight.

“I’m supposed to be protecting hyung’s contract,” he shrugged, “but since you burned it, I’ve got nothing to do.”

“Then get out of here,” Ravi scoffed, “before I kick your .” Jr just looked at him blankly, silently daring Ravi to make good on his threat.

“Whatever,” he finally said, starting to walk away, “I’m sure my master will want a report about what happened. See you around, Hyorin. You too, Ravi.” Just as Jr was about to leave completely, he stopped and turned to face Hyorin, “look after JB hyung for us, alright?” Seeing Hyorin nod in agreement, he left.

“Let’s go home,” Ravi sighed, letting himself drop to the ground as his exhaustion finally took over.

Knowing that she would never be able to get both Ravi and Ken home herself, Hyorin pulled out her phone and called Yong Guk.

A/N: JB is free!!!! But poor Ken, he’d gotten beat up again. I swear, this is the last time for a while. I’m gonna stop picking on Ken. i promise you guys that. and a big 'i'm sorry' for Ken getting the crap kicked out of him again