Chapter 31

Trusting Demons

“Hyorin?” Leo asked, knocking on her door, “are you awake?” He figured that she had to be awake since he knew she set her alarm clock for eight on Saturdays. It was an hour and a half past eight, so she had to be awake. Right? Plus, he’s heard the shower in her room turn on not long ago so that had to mean that she was up and about.

“I’m up,” she called before rushing to open the door, hair still wet from her shower, “what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Leo explained, “I was just wondering if you wanted to go out today?”

The heat demon was worried about his master. With everything else going on, he was worried that it might become too much for her and her health – psychical or mental – would start to suffer. So, he felt that a day out would be just the thing to relax her. as an added bonus, it also gave him some time alone with Hyorin.

“Ok,” Hyorin smiled after taking a moment to consider his offer, “just let me get changed and finish drying my hair.” She quickly shut the door, leaving Leo standing alone in the hallway.

When Hyorin came out, Leo offered his hand and led her outside. The pair was silent as they walked to the park. Leo wasn’t much of a talker – not like his brothers – but he felt the need to say something – anything really – to end the silence that surrounded the pair. However, he couldn’t think of a single thing to say, allowing for the silence to continue until they finally got to the park.

“I’m scared,” Hyorin suddenly said, no longer able to take the quiet.

“What about?” Leo asked. There were a lot of things for her to be scared of after all.

“Right now?” she sighed sadly, “That I’m not going to be able to help JB’s brothers. We haven’t been able to help his brothers at all and it’s been, like, weeks since JB joined us.”

“Don’t worry,” he patted her shoulder, “we’ll find them and free them.”

“What if we don’t?” she looked up at him with worried eyes, “what if we can’t find their contracts?”

“Their master likes to play games,” Leo glared at nothing, “she’ll give us a hint, a tip, of some kind. Because us trying to free JB’s brothers is a game to her. One we’re going to win.”

“How can you be so sure?” Hyorin asked.

“I have faith in you,” Leo replied, “you’re so determined to free them, it’s hard to think that you aren’t going to succeed.”

“You make me sound special and powerful,” she frowned, “but I wouldn’t have even freed JB without you and the others helping me.”

“Then have faith in us,” Leo told her, making eye contact again, “we’ll give it everything we have to make sure that Got7 is free just like you want.”

“Thank you,” Hyorin smiled slightly. She was tempted to hug Leo, but held back since she knew he wasn’t one for shows of affection like that. Instead, she grabbed his hand and gave it a quick squeeze before letting go.

The pair fell silent once more, but this time is was a comfortable silence. This time, neither felt the need to fill the silence, so they let in continue uninterrupted. Leo was, after all, not big on talking and Hyorin was happy to allow him silence. It wasn’t like he got to enjoy quiet that often with N, Ken, and the others around, so why not let him have the silence she knew he craved?

“Wait,” Leo suddenly stopped, grabbing Hyorin’s arm and pulling her closer to him.

“What is it?” she asked, looking around in hopes of finding whatever had caused the heat demon to stop.

“I thought I heard something,” Leo replied, frowning as he looked around. Hyorin tried not to show her fear, but she still moved closer to Leo. In the back of his mind, Leo smiled at her obvious trust in him.

“Do you think it’s Got7?” she asked, looking around just like Leo.

“No,” he said before slowly starting to walk off in the direction he thought the sound had come from. Hyorin watched him for a moment before following.

When Leo finally stopped, the pair was at the opening of an alley.

“Stay here,” Leo told her before walking further into the alley.

“Hurry,” Hyorin whispered, glancing around. The setting was all too familiar to Hyorin. She’d been in an alley just like it when they had found Ken – beaten up and covered in blood. She didn’t know who had done it for sure, but JB speculated that it had been Jackson. The Got7 leader wasn’t sure, thought. As he had told Hyorin, he and his brothers had been out doing a lot of things around that time and they never talked about any of it.

“Hyorin,” Leo called, pulling her from her thoughts, “come here.” she nodded, rushing over to his side.

“Oh,” she gasped, looking at the small black puppy resting in Leo’s arms. Two more were curled up by their mother, whimpering as if to tell her that they were hungry. It took Hyorin only a moment to realize that the mother was dead.

“They’re starving,” Leo frowned, picking up the last two puppies. They squirmed around a lot, making it hard for the demon to hold all of them, so Hyorin took one from him.

“We should take them home with us,” she suggested, cuddling the poor little puppy carefully.

“Will Yong Guk be alright with that?” Leo asked, a hopeful glint in his eye.

“I can’t see why he wouldn’t,” Hyorin smiled and the pair headed for home with the three puppies.

Once home, they were quick to find Yong Guk and ask him about keeping the puppies. Upon hearing the full story of how they had found them, Yong Guk agreed to keeping them. However, he made it very clear that Leo and Hyorin were in charge of the puppies and if anything went wrong he would take them to a shelter.

“What should we call them?” Hyorin asked later as she sat on her bed with the puppies while Leo and Hyuk – who’d come running the second he got word of the puppies being in the house – sat in chairs beside the bed.

“No idea,” Hyuk shrugged, picking up the smallest of the three and hugging it to his chest.

“We should all name one,” Leo suggested, resting his arms on the bed as he watched the other two puppies play with the sock toy Hyorin had given them.

“Right,” Hyorin nodded before picking up one of the puppies – the only female of the group – and placing it in her lap, “I’m going to call this one Daisy.” The puppy was mostly black, but had white markings on her paws and chest as well as a little white spot on the back of her neck.

“I’ll have to think of a good name,” Hyuk said and Leo nodded in agreement. Moments later, Ken appeared in the doorway, demanding to see the adorable puppies he’d heard about.

A/N: fun fact, the puppy Hyorin named Daisy is based on my own dog: Daisy. The description is exactly what she looked like when she was a baby. But now she’s gotten so big that the spot on her neck is gone. Plus her Rottweiler blood (she’s 1/8 rottie, mostly lab-collie mix) kicked in just enough to give her some red-brown fur colour around . Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this bonding time with Hyorin and Leo