day fifty-three ; 3/3

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Jongdae gave Sehun and Jongin some privacy to talk after making sure that the two won’t kill each other. The three stayed seated near the rooftop’s door while Sehun and Jongin sat on the other side, their backs leaning against the wall and their elbows resting on their knees.

   “Sorry.. about that.” Jongin started, pointing at Sehun’s bruising face.

   The other lightly chuckled as he placed his knuckles near the corner of his mouth. “I think I deserved a good punch,” he said. “But Chanyeol-hyung surely didn’t.”

   Jongin groaned as he leaned his head back. “Yeah, I guess I owe him an apology too.” He sighed and the two were quiet again.

   They really didn’t know what to say. It’s been awhile since they were left alone to hang out and it didn’t help that it had to be today and the topic they were about to open was Jinri’s condition.

   “Jinri has a heart disease and I hate to admit it but she doesn’t have much time to live.” Sehun started this time. “Could be just a few days, weeks, months.. If we’re all fortunate enough, maybe even years but there’s no guarantee.”

   Jongin’s heart hurt at that reality. “How.. How did you know about her condition?”

   Sehun was quiet for awhile before answering, “It was around last year when I found out.” He said, “I was on my way back to the classroom from the comfort room when I saw her. Jinri was already on the floor, gasping for air. The tears.. The pain in her eyes.. I can never forget that look, Jongin. With a hand clutching on her uniform, she looked so helpless. We weren’t close at all back then. That incident was actually my first encounter with her even if she was my classmate. Ever since that day, I never left her side. The only time I did was when she got discharged..”

   “Why? And why did you keep quiet? You didn’t even give us a hint that you know her and all.”

   “Because she said so,” Sehun sighed. “She told me not to tell anyone about her condition. And when she got discharged, she said she wanted everything between us to go back to normal.. and that includes us being strangers. She keeps saying about not wanting to be a burden and all those crap.”

   Jongin nodded in understanding and muttered, “No wonder..”

   “I’m guessing Jinri had told you about her bucket list?”

   “Yeah.”

   “That kid is quite smart,” Sehun shook his head, “Some things on her bucket list are dangerous for her but despite the fact that she wanted to fulfill them with you, she also knew you don’t know about her condition so she wrote whatever makes her happy.” He said, “Like the balloon,”

   Jongin looked at him.

   “Jinri gets easily surprised.” The blonde continued, “And if the balloon pops, there’s a fifty-fifty chance that it’ll trigger an attack. Sorry but when I saw that, I actually had to stop myself from banging my fists on the table.” He said, remembering how he had to fist his hand just to stop himself.

   “I understand but she told me Eomonim is scared of the balloons popping and that she freaks out though.” Jongin blinked.

   Sehun laughed, “Duh, stupid.” He said, “Who won’t get scared for her own daughter? Who wouldn’t freak out?”

   Jongin just shrugged a shoulder, finally getting the picture. He also remembered the time when she told him she wanted to dance under the rain. Since she’s sick, it’ll worsen her condition. Of course, Jongin resisted the urge to roll his eyes. That idiot.

   “You call Imo ‘Eomonim’..” Sehun pointed. “You’ve met her before, haven’t you?”

   Jongin sighed, “Yeah..” He bit his lower lip. “Remember when we went out the day after Valentine’s Day? Her mom allowed Jinri to stay late so as long as she’ll be home by nine; so as long as I bring her home by nine. That night, I met Eomonim for the first time and she told me to just call her by that. She also offered I stay over because it was getting late.”

   Sehun smiled a bit, “Typical of her.”

   “Today’s actually just the second time I met her.” said Jongin then paused for awhile before continuing, remembering something. “Jinri has a brother, doesn’t she?”

   Sehun blinked and looked at him, “Yeah, how’d you know?”

   “I met him as well though he doesn’t really know what relationship I have with Jinri.” Jongin lightly chuckled, “My mom and I went to the hospital last Saturday for her check up and Minho-ssi happened to be her doctor’s new secretary. I saw their pictures on his desk.”

   “Pfft—You don’t know how much Chanyeol-hyung panicked that time. Okay, so I also panicked but he panicked more than I did.” Sehun grinned at him and winced at the pain on his lip. “Ow,”

   “What, wae?” Jongin blinked.

   “He saw you.” Sehun tried to stop himself from laughing. He doesn’t even know why he found it funny; maybe it was because he could imagine how Chanyeol actually looked like while he panicked. “I don’t know how exactly but yeah; we sort of felt like we’re in an undercover and he’s trying to hide from you or something.”

   “That boy looked quite familiar.”

   “Ah,” Jongin chuckled. “I think my mom saw him.”

   Sehun just nodded.

   “Hey,”

   The blonde looked at him.

   “Is there.. a way to save Jinri?”

   Sehun was quiet for awhile and answered, “A heart transplant.. but we don’t have a donor yet.”

   “I’ve always wanted to steal someone’s heart, which is impossible, of course.” Jinri grinned. “I even doubt someone’s going to give their heart to me.. I want to live forever.”

   “So that’s what she meant by stealing someone’s heart..” Jongin muttered but Sehun heard it.

   “Part of her bucket list, isn’t it?” He smiled.

   Jongin nodded, “Yeah..”

   “Hey,”

   “Hm?”

   “I’m sorry.. about before.” said Sehun, looking up at the night sky. “When I said that Jinri planned for Taemin-hyung and Soojung to meet, I just made it up. I guess I was just trying to protect her is all..”

   Jongin shook his head, smiling. “It’s alright, Sehun-ah. I understand everything now.”

   Sehun smiled back.

   “And there’s something else I haven’t told you.”

   “There are a lot of things you don’t tell me,” Sehun joked and shook his head. “Just kidding, what is it?”

   Jongin chuckled for awhile and returned to being serious, “It was Jinri all along.” He answered.

   “What do you mean?” Sehun looked at him.

   “It wasn’t Soojung at all,” Jongin explained. “Remember the girl I told you about? The girl I heard back at the studio before? It was Jinri. I mistook her for Soojung. It was stupid of me to think that it was Soojung because they had the same hair style that time and when Jinri came back, she already had her hair cut short and since Soojung resembled the girl from the studio so much, I thought..” He trailed off.

   “Your feelings for Jinri now.. Are they real?”

   “Yes, definitely.” Jongin answered without second thoughts. “Not because she was the girl or because of the whole favor thing but because Jinri is Jinri. And I love her for that.”

   Sehun admired Jongin for being open of his feelings towards the girl and he wondered when will he be able to let everyone—let her—know of his feelings. He’s loved Jinri for so long yet he couldn’t bring to admit it to her or to anyone else. Maybe he couldn’t do it because he knew that in the first place, he’s never had the chance.

   In Jinri’s heart, it’ll always be Kim Jongin.

▢ ▢ 

“I’m sorry, baby.” Mrs. Choi rubbed her daughter’s back as she cried. “I just thought it would be best if Jongin knew already. Don’t you think he’s waited long enough? He’s going to see you in this state whatever you do; pray tell not today but he will, sooner or later. Even if you were discharged and were to be confined again, he’ll eventually know..”

   “He was not prepared for this!” Jinri sobbed, “He was scared!”

   “Are we all not?”

   “You’re not in his shoes to say that!” Jinri shouted, “You all knew my condition since who knows how long; he doesn’t!”

   “Jinri, please.” Taemin sighed, sitting on the edge of her bed. “Calm down and control yourself.. Remember, you’re going to be discharged in a few days. If you keep this up, your stay will be lengthened.” He cupped her face and wiped her tears with his thumbs. “You wouldn’t want that, would you?”

   Jinri shook her head and started to hiccup. She gripped on her chest as it started to ache in every hiccup she emitted but it’s nothing she can’t manage.. or so she thought. “But Jongin-ssi..”

   Soojung gave her a glass of water and smiled, “He’ll come around.”

   After what seemed like hours, the five boys came back but the three tallest: Chanyeol, Sehun, and Jongin stayed near the door but even with the distance, the rest could see the purple-blueish bruises on their faces.

   Luckily, by that time, Jinri had already fallen asleep.


AUTHOR’S NOTE: Guys, I cannot with your supportive comments. ; ; Thank you, thank you so much! Although I get a bit sad because first of all, I can’t help but notice how some people unsubscribe, huhu. ; ; But oh whale, it’s alright. :’) It’s not like I’m forcing anyone to stay, aha. Second, most of my subscribers still remain quiet all this time, heol. ; ; But it’s fine, at least you stick around. ♡ And lastly, some of you guys still only comment “Thanks for the update!” or “Update soon!” like . . . Love, don’t you have anything else to say? About the chapter, perhaps? What you think about it? How you feel about it? I mean you’re welcome and I do try to update as soon as I can but I need feedbacks too, you know? ; ; /smacked by yous. Anyway! c8 Kudos to sambeigle and alledaaa; your comments moved me so much. ♡ And to all of you, thank you for being patient with me. ; ^ ; Four more subscribers and we’re going to hit 2OO already, yehet! o/

Important question (please answer, okay?): Which one do you want me to post first?

 The sad, intense, heart-breaking, I-hate-you-so-much-author kind of chapter? Or..
 The chapter that will make you release the breath you’ve been holding the past few chapters?

Don’t worry, it’s not the following chapter. XD /smacked; whispers. But I do highly suggest you pick the first bullet so that you’ll be able to finally breathe after reading the second-bullet chapter. c8 Just kidding, it’s your choice really, aha. That’s why I’m asking, stupid author. e n e ; ♡ Comment your answers below together with whatever you feel about this fail update (I actually find this chapter corny, aha). Kbye.

Edit: Yung iba, hindi nagbabasa ng Author’s Note, ampuchungunu. e n e ; /shot.