day forty-eight ; 1/2

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

“White day is coming up,” Hwang-ssaem announced as he entered the dance studio.

   Some of the boys just rolled their eyes.

   That didn’t go unnoticed by their instructor. “You snobby rascals,” he commented. “This is the least thing we can do for the girls who took their time and effort to give you those blasted chocolates.”

   “If I know, most of those chocolates you speak of were bought from groceries or something.” said Baekhyun.

   “How would I know if the only chocolates I got were from a few fellow teachers who seemed forced to give me some because.. I don’t know, mabe out of pity or something? And of course, from the precious girl, Jinri.” Hwang-ssaem sighed, “Speaking of. Yah, Kim Jongin! Where is she? I don’t see her anymore.”

   Jongin was quiet for awhile then spoke, “You don’t always have to see her every time. She’s not your girlfriend.” His voice came out unintentionally cold but to be quite honest, his words were directed actually to himself.

   Hwang-ssaem twitched an eye, “This rascal—Aish, jinjja!” He resisted the urge to throw a shoe at his student; he could be sued. “Anyway, you guys will be performing that day not only for the sake of giving back what the girls have given—and I really don’t think ya’ll would want to give them chocolates too—but also for exposure of your talents and abilities when it comes to dancing. And for the hard work I have devoted for you.” He added. Make me proud, boys. Let’s start.” Hwang-ssaem immediately changed from his dorky side to that of an instructor’s.

   After their dance session, Sehun packed his stuff, a towel dangling on his neck. He slid his duffel bag on his shoulder as he dabbed the cloth on the side of his forehead.

   “Chanyeol-hyung, you coming?”

   The addressed nodded, “Yeah. Just wait for me out, I’ll follow.” He grinned at the youngest.

   Sehun nodded once and left.

   “Where are you going now?” Baekhyun frowned, sighing.

   Chanyeol zipped up his bag and faced the smaller, “I just have to go ahead is all.”

   “With Sehun?” Baekhyun’s eyebrows furrowed. “Again?”

   “I’m sorry, Baekhyun-ah.” Chanyeol gave him an apologetic smile. “I’ll see you on Monday.”

   “. . . Okay.”

   “Baekhyun really can’t function well without his partner in crime,” Joonmyeon commented, noticing how day by day, Baekhyun would just keep quiet and wasn’t the usual class clown of the group anymore.

   The taller just pursed his lips in a tight smile, ruffling Baekhyun’s hair with the towel that was already on his head.

   “You know,” Luhan started. “Sehun’s being weird..”

   The others looked at him.

   “How so?” Kyungsoo asked.

   The doll-like Chinese opened his water bottle and drank from it before continuing. “Ever since last week, he’s been asking for my notes.. like if he could copy it or something.”

   Minseok shook his head, “Nah.” He said, “Sehun’s been doing that since last year. He keeps duplicate notes. It’s nothing really new; maybe, he just went back to the old habit. I know because I was his classmate then.”

   “But I’m not,” Luhan tilted his head to the side. “I’m not from Sehun’s class. If he does duplicate notes, why take mine? Why not from anyone from his class? Like maybe, Jongin’s?”

   “I don’t copy notes. I take pictures of them,” Jongin nonchalantly answered with a shrug but the topic did spark his curiosity. Why was Sehun doing that again?

   “Well then, from Kyungsoo?” Luhan continued, “He’s pretty much the perfectionist, right?”

   Kyungsoo just shrugged too but Luhan did make sense.

   “Aish, just let him be.” Chanyeol waved a hand dismissively. “We all know Sehun’s a smart guy. Maybe, he’s just interested in other classes’ notes to see if the teachers are teaching the same thing or not. So that if they don’t, at least he knows the lectures for both classes, yeah?” He pointed out.

   The others nodded in understanding.

   “If he’s so smart then why take other people’s notes?” Jongdae asked.

   “Like I said, he’s just interested.” said Chanyeol, trying not to snap.

   “Now, you’re defending him..” Baekhyun mumbled.

   “Baekhyun..” Chanyeol sighed.

   “Are you two dating?” Jongdae asked, “You and Sehun?”

   Chanyeol choked. “What—Yah! Where on earth did you get the idea?!”

   “Well, it does make sense.” Jongin shrugged. “But really, you didn’t have to hide it from us if that’s the case.”

   “What—I’m straight as a ruler!”

   “Rulers bend, idiot.” Yifan shook his head.

   “A metal ruler!” Chanyeol groaned, “It’s a metaphor! Aish, I’m leaving.” He grabbed his bag.

   “Aye, I was just messing around, man.” Jongdae chuckled.

   Chanyeol just scoffed.

   “Yeollie..” Baekhyun frowned.

   “It’s fine, Baek.” Chanyeol lightly pinched his cheek. “Take care, yeah? Bye.”

   “Bye..”

   And with that, Chanyeol left.

   Kyungsoo shook his head, “You do not question someone’s ual orientation.”

   “I was kidding.” Jongdae rolled his eyes and he received some heads shaking as a response. Or maybe it’s because of some girls, you know? Why Sehun and Chanyeol’s been hanging out a lot lately.” He added.

   After awhile, Jongin zipped up his bag, already wearing casual clothes.

   “Going somewhere too?” Kyungsoo asked.

   “Yeah,” Jongin answered, slinging his bag over his shoulder. “I have to accompany my mom to the hospital. You know how a health freak she is.”

   Some of his friends laughed.

   “Alright then, take care.”

   “Will do.”

▢ ▢ ▢

“What took you so long?” Sehun asked as he and Chanyeol make their way to the bus stop.

   “They ganged up on me and grilled me.” Chanyeol made a face. “Jongdae even thought we’re dating.”

   Sehun bursted out laughing.

   “Yah, what’s funny?!” Chanyeol pouted. “Just so you know, I had to defend you there too.”

   “Wae?”

   “You see, Luhan said you’ve been weird with all the note-taking and stuff.” Chanyeol said as they reached the bus stop. “Minseok-ah defended you first, saying that you’ve been taking double notes since last year but Luhan retaliated that if that’s the case, you could have asked from someone in your class like Jongin or Kyungsoo-ya.”

   “Aish, jinjja.” Sehun chewed on his lower lip. “I didn’t expect that coming. I only went to him because I don’t think I’d be able to understand Zitao’s notes. And Yixing—He forgets to write notes sometimes. I don’t know about Jinri’s other friends but I couldn’t rely on Soojung because she has her way of jotting down notes only she can understand; I doubt Jinri would be able to know what the lessons would mean.

   “Well, I told them that you’re interested in other classes’ notes to see if the teachers are teaching the same thing or not,” The older continued as they mounted the bus. “So that if they don’t then at least you know the lectures from both classes.”

   “Hm, good call.” Sehun grinned.

   When they reached Jinri’s room, Sehun and Chanyeol found her sleeping peacefully, her right hand resting on her stomach while the other rested beside her head. Her lunch tray was settled on the table, untouched.

   “We should wake her up,” said Chanyeol. “She shouldn’t skip her meals.”

   Sehun nodded, walked beside Jinri’s bed and placed a hand on top of her head, his thumb caressing her forehead. “Jinri-ya?”

   Jinri stirred a bit and hummed a “hm?”

   “You should eat,”

   “I’m not hungry,” she informed sleepily.

   “You’re not supposed to skip your lunch.”

   “I’m sick of hospital food..” Jinri mumbled, finally opening her eyes a bit. “They taste lifeless.”

   Chanyeol chuckled a bit, “They’re cooked.” He said, “That’s why they have no life.”

   Sehun rolled his eyes at the joke but Jinri giggled.

   “What did you want to eat anyway?” Chanyeol asked.

   “Ssamgyupsal,”

   “That has a lot of oil and fat.” Sehun frowned.

   “Chanyeol was just asking.” Jinri smiled and rubbed the sleep off her eyes. “It’s not like anyone would let me eat what I want. I’m practically grounded to do anything.”

   “Jinri..” Sehun sighed, her stubbornness kicking in once again.. and it’s the bad kind of stubbornness.

   Jinri just stared at Sehun and the boy could see how the light in her eyes are flickering out. She gave him a small smile and said, “Okay, give me my food.”

   “Atta, girl.” Chanyeol smiled and gave the tray to Sehun after the blonde helped Jinri sit up.

   Sehun placed the tray on her lap. “Get well soon so you can eat anything you want again.” He smiled.

   It’s not that easy. Jinri thought but smiled anyway, her eyes smiling as well. “Okay.”

   “Hey, Jinri-ya. White Day’s coming, isn’t it?” Chanyeol grinned as he sat on her bed. “We’re going to dance in school. Hwang-ssaem says it’s to thank the girls for the chocolates last Valentine’s Day.”

   “But I’d like to look at it more as showcasing our talents in public.” Sehun added, nodding his head.

   “Wah, really?” Jinri smiled after swallowing her food. “That’s great! I hope I could watch though.”

   “Can’t you be excused for awhile?” Chanyeol tilted his head to the side.

   “I wish.” Jinri pouted, “But I can’t risk being seen by people in school if I were to not show myself after that.”

   “Aw, too bad.” Chanyeol frowned.

   “There’s still next time!” Jinri grinned. “Right?”

   The two nodded.

   “Have you two eaten, by the way?”

   They shook their heads and Jinri made a face.

   “You tell me not to skip yet here you guys are, not eating lunch.” She shook hear head, “Next time, eat first before you visit me, aish.”

   “Sorry, mommy.” Sehun teased.

   “Yes, mommy.” Chanyeol said at the same time as Sehun.

   “Yah!” Jinri pouted.

   “I’ll go grab something for us to eat.” Chanyeol chuckled, “Is ramyeon alright with you, Sehun-ah?”

   Sehun looked at him and nodded. “Yeah. Thanks, hyung.”

   “Aight, I’ll be back.” Chanyeol grinned and left. He walked towards the elevator and pressed the down button since the hospital’s cafeteria was on the ground floor. After awhile, it opened and Chanyeol went inside.

   When he reached the ground floor, Chanyeol made his way towards the cafeteria. He bought two big cups of ramyeon and sodas, just in case Sehun would want one. After paying, he said his thanks to the cashier and went back to the elevator, pressing the up button. He patiently waited for it to come from the basement but when it dinged open and Chanyeol was about to step inside, he saw a very familiar person in front of him. He was thankful enough that the attention of the boy inside the elevator was on his phone.

   Chanyeol stepped back and immediately bolted up the stairs just as the familiar boy looked up and gave space to the coming passengers.

   “Weird,” His mom started. “That boy looked quite familiar.”

   “Who, mom?”

   “Never mind, must have been my imagination.”

▢ ▢ 

Chanyeol ran up the flight of stairs just as fast as his heart beat while his free hand fumbled on his phone for Sehun’s contact number. His hands were shaking and he literally felt himself pale when he saw him.

   He found Sehun’s name and tapped on the call button. “Pick up, pick up!” He muttered as he reached the fourth floor; two more flight of stairs.

   “Hello?” Sehun answered after three rings. “Chanyeol-hyung?

   “Sehun-ah,” Chanyeol managed to say in between ragged breaths. “We.. We have a slight problem.”

   “What?” Sehun asked from the other line, “Slow down, hyung, I can’t understand you. Wait, are you running?

   Chanyeol reached the fifth floor. One more! “Yes, I.. Don’t go out. He’s.. He’s here.”

   “Yah, you sound like you’re being chased by a serial killer.

   “Aish, just—”

   Just as when Chanyeol reached the sixth floor where Jinri’s room was located, the elevator opened as well and the person they dreaded to see in the same place they are stepped outside.

   Chanyeol widened his eyes as he ran a few flights downstairs to hide. “Holy ,” he panted, his blood going down from his face once again.

   “Hyung? Gwenchana? Eodiya?” Sehun asked.

   “Kim Jongin,” Chanyeol finally said in one breath. “Kim Jongin is here.. on the same floor as us.”


AUTHOR’S NOTE: You’re not the only one, lovelies! I miss Kailli too, huhu. But this has to be written done to fill in the holes of the story so yeah. ♡ Don’t worry though! After several chapters, Kailli will be back. So! What do you think about this chapter? Was it intense enough just like what I’ve said? I wonder what will happen next, hmm. Stay tuned! Love, love! ♡ Oh, and if you see any wrong spellings or glitches, please do point it out. Feel free to comment below! I’m really sleepy right now so.. ; ; OTL. Byeee! G’night!