day fifty-eight.

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

Jinri opened her eyes and was blinded on how bright her surrounding was. Everything was so white, she doubted she’s in her own room. When she finally was able to adjust her sight, she looked around but saw nothing; nothing except white. She looked down and saw that she was still wearing her hospital gown.

   Where the hell is she?

   “Aegi,”

   Jinri blinked. “Aegi” was what her dad used to call her. Why was she hearing that word now? Why was she hearing his voice?

   “Aegi-ya,”

   Jinri turned around and saw her dad. She widened her eyes as tears started to find their way out again. “Appa!” She ran and threw herself in her dad’s open arms which he gladly caught.

   Her dad embraced her warmly and faced her. Jinri was already sobbing.

   “Appa, I miss you so much..”

   “Aegi-ya, don’t cry.” Her dad smiled. “Gwenchana,”

   “Please don’t ever leave me again..” Jinri sobbed.

   “I never left you, honey.” Her dad kissed her forehead. “I always watch over you and you’ve been a very brave girl. I’m proud of you.”

   Jinri smiled despite her tears.

   “My turn, ahjussi!”

   Jinri blinked and looked behind her dad. It was Suji and she was shining brightly. She looked so healthy and beautiful and her eyes are smiling. “Suji!”

   “Jinri!” Suji grinned and hugged her tight. “I wanna keep you but I can’t so I’ll make this short. Forgive Minho-oppa, okay? He was never at fault, he was just doing his job. I was the one who let go so please forgive him. I miss you so much, Jinri! I love you!”

   “It’s time for us to go,” Her dad smiled. “Please take care of yourself, alright? And your mom. Live for me, honey. You’ve still got a long way to go. I love you,”

   “Appa, no! Please! Stay with us!” Jinri tried to hold her dad’s hand to stop him but her hand just went through his. Suji was also becoming transparent. “Suji!”

▢ ▢ ▢

“Appa!” Jinri gasped for air as her eyes shot wide open. She brought a hand up on her chest and thankfully, the pain’s starting to subside again. She caught her breath as she looked around. Where am I? She thought. The place was quite familiar but this certainly was not her room because she was surrounded by green curtains and there were tubes inserted on her nose.

   When Jinri finally felt someone holding her other hand, she turned her head to look at who it was.

   Jongin was there, sleeping peacefully with his head on his arms.

   “I love you too, Jinri.”

   Jinri heard it clearly and she would have died happy if it really were the last words she’s heard. But why did Jongin break his promise? He was not supposed to fall in love with her. She just wanted to love him, to express it to him, that’s all. It was just a favor asked; it wasn’t her plan to make him fall for her. Why should Jongin love someone who’s sick like her? She’s not going to stay any longer. Jongin’s just going to get hurt. He’s going to leave her for hurting him. Jinri doesn’t deserve his love.

   That’s what she always thought.

   Jongin stirred a bit and slowly lifted his head. Ever since Jinri lost consciousness, he refused to leave her. He wouldn’t even attend school. He said he wanted to be there when Jinri wakes up. Whoever said the words about wanting to die in your loved one’s arms is an idiot. It sure as hell hurts in the loved one’s part if that were to happen. It was such a selfish line. Do you think your loved one would be happy seeing you die in his arms? No. Maybe, you’re happy but he wouldn’t be. Who in the right mind will be? Jongin was just thankful Jinri didn’t leave for good or else, he might lose his mind. He had yet to sink in the thought that Jinri’s in a grave condition; what more if she were to be gone permanently?

   Within the days that Jinri was unconscious, Jongin finally realized a lot of things; even the riddles that boggled his mind before. No wonder Jinri was afraid of time. It’s because time is running out on her and that sooner or later, I have to let you go. He also realized that this was what Soojung meant.

   “There is something about Jinri that she isn’t telling you yet.. I don’t even know if she plans to tell you. But eventually, you’ll know, or at least find out for yourself. For now, you just have to trust her and be there for her. Until the favor wears out, never leave her side. There’s a reason why she made you promise not to fall in love with her, Jongin-ah. She doesn’t want you to get hurt but she really needs you.

   Bull.

   Why would Jinri think that way of him? She’s made a big impact in his life and to say that she doesn’t want him to get hurt is an understatement. Would he not get hurt if he found out it’s too late? Would it be easy for him to forget her if she’s gone? Would it be easy for him to move on when Jinri finally breaks off the favor?

   Of course not.

   “. . . She’s not going to stay beside you longer than you could have wished for.”

   Exactly why either way, he’s going to get hurt.

   So might as well know the truth in the first place, right?

   But no. Apparently, he was even the last to know.

   Jinri smiled at Jongin when their eyes finally met. It felt as though it had been years since they were left alone like this. But why did they have to be alone in such an unfortunate state?

   “Hey,” Jongin smiled back as he moved his chair closer to the bed if it were even possible. “About time you wake up, sleeping beauty.”

   “How long was I unconscious?” Jinri whispered.

   “Four days,” Jongin answered. “How are you feeling? Does it hurt somewhere? Do you need anything?”

   The girl shook her head. “I’m fine. Are you? You look like you’ve lost weight. Don’t tell me you’re not eating..” She frowned.

   “I do,” Jongin lightly chuckled. “Just.. not as much nowadays.”

   Jinri furrowed her eyebrows. This is one of the things she dreaded to come. Jongin’s not taking care of himself. She’s nothing but a burden to everyone, even to him. “How long have you been here?”

   Jongin hesitated a bit but answered, “I only left when I needed to go home to change.. Then I come back for you.”

   “You’re not going to school?”

   “It’s only been days, don’t worry.”

   “Jongin-ssi—”

   “I knew you’re going to argue with me.”

   That made Jinri stop.

   “But really, it’s fine.” Jongin brought a hand on Jinri’s cheek and caressed it. “I just want to be here for you.”

   Jinri bit her lower lip to stop herself from tearing up. “You don’t have to do this anymore, Jongin-ssi.. You can forget about the favor now.” She said in a whisper, her voice cracking.

   Jongin fell silent for awhile, feeling his heart pain at what Jinri just said. How could she say that so easily? His eyebrows furrowed a bit as he and Jinri stared at each other; he could see the tears forming in her eyes already. “Please..” He whispered. “Please don’t let go of me, Jinri.

   His words were what made Jinri’s tears start to fall. She tried to blink them back but they just kept coming.

   “I don’t care about the favor anymore.” Jongin shook his head, “I know I promised not to fall for you but I don’t care about that anymore either. I’m sorry I broke the promise but please let me love you just as how I let you love me, Jinri.” Tears unconsciously started to stream down his cheeks as well.

   “Jongin-ssi..” Jinri lifted a hand and placed it on the boy’s cheek.

   Jongin leaned his face against her palm before taking it in his hand and kissing it. “Forget about the favor, Jinri.. Let’s be together.”

   Jinri wanted to say no because it wasn’t supposed to turn out this way but even with a weak heart, it’s telling her to follow what she really wants. Being with Jongin was what she has always wanted even if it means just for a few more years or months. “Let’s spend the remaining time loving Jongin freely, without favors” is what her heart says. She can spend the rest of her life doing just that. “I’m not going to live longer, Jongin-ssi..”

   “You will.” Jongin nodded firmly. “I’ll do whatever it takes.” Even if it means giving up my life for you. “Trust me.”

▢ ▢ ▢

The news spread like wildfire among Jinri and Jongin’s friends because the moment they found out that the girl had already gained consciousness, they all hurried their way to the hospital only to be stopped by several nurses because they can’t go inside the ICU all at once. Come on, who would let eighteen people inside an intensive care unit?

   So everyone came to an agreement that each person may get an alone time with Jinri but is only limited for five minutes because the nurses were advised not to make the patient wear out. They all were given an hour and a half to finish. Failure to do so, those who didn’t make it within the time frame would have to come back the next day.

   Fortunately, everyone was able to talk to Jinri, asking how she is and telling her to get well soon. They all were surprised to find out about Jinri’s condition and could do nothing but give her encouraging words. Some told her that they were so worried about what happened especially Baekhyun and Kyungsoo.

   “Jinri-ya,”

   The girl looked up at her next visitor and smiled, “Sehun..”

   Sehun sat on the chair provided by the bed and just stayed there, looking at Jinri.

   Jinri furrowed her eyebrows a bit. She was about to speak when she noticed how Sehun was trying to blink back tears. They stayed silent for awhile, Jinri letting Sehun do whatever he wants. She reached for his hand and he took it with both his, bringing it to his lips and kissing her knuckles before leaning it on his forehead. He couldn’t take it anymore. He sobbed.

   “I was so scared to death, Jinri.” Sehun started with a shaky voice. “When I saw you unconscious, I was so scared to death. I thought I lost you. I didn’t know what to do; while everyone was rushing towards you, I stood rooted on my spot. I’m so sorry,” The boy wanted to hug Jinri tight but the action was not advisable because she was too fragile, no matter how badly he needed her comfort. Her hand was so cold but still enough to know she was alive; he’s just really thankful about it.

   “It’s alright, Sehun-ah.” Jinri whispered, smiling. “It’s alright.” She let Sehun cry for awhile. When a nurse came inside to get him and saw the scene, Jinri shook her head at her and smiled.

   The nurse furrowed her eyebrows but just smiled in understanding and left.

   When Sehun’s sobs died down, he dried his face and sniffed, apologizing at the side he just showed her.

   Jinri just shook her head and said, “Even the strongest of people cry, Sehun-ah.”

   And with that, Sehun finally smiled.

   “How are you feeling now?”

   “Relieved,”

   “I’m glad.” Jinri smiled.

   “Jinri,” Sehun held her hand again.

   “Hm?”

   “Minho-hyung saved you.”

   The girl blinked.

   “And when your heart finally started beating, he broke down and refused to let go of you.” Sehun continued, “He said he wouldn’t know what to do if he lost you. He was really scared too; maybe even more than I am. He loves you so much, Jinri-ya.”

   “Why are you telling me this, Sehun-ah?”

   “Because if I don’t, who else will?” Sehun smiled, “You know your brother. It’s time to forgive him, Jinri.”

   The girl remembered Suji’s words in her dream. She smiled back at Sehun and said, “I dreamt of Appa and Suji, you know? Suji told me to forgive Minho-oppa as well.. I guess I owe him my thanks. And probably even my life,”

▢ ▢ ▢

Jongin came back that night to keep Jinri company. She was just waking up as he stepped inside the room. When their eyes met, they both smiled and said “Good evening,” at the same time.

   Jinri giggled while Jongin chuckled.

   “How are you doing?” He asked as he sat on the chair.

   “Recovering,” Jinri smiled.

   “That’s good,” Jongin nodded. “You’re not going to sleep anytime soon, right?”

   “I just woke up, silly.” Jinri giggled.

   “I know, I know.” Jongin raised both his palms up. “Just making sure because I’ve got lots of things to tell you.” He smiled that gorgeous smile Jinri missed a lot.

   “Okay,” The girl nodded, smiling. “I’m all ears. What about?”

   Jongin just shrugged a shoulder, “Things I’ve always wanted to tell you,” he answered. “Remember the park we always go to?”

   Jinri nodded.

   “I never told you but my house is just a walking distance away from there but I always make sure you go down to your stop safely before I go back to mine.”

   “Eh? Yah! How could you! You didn’t have to do that!” Jinri pouted. Now, I feel like I’m such a burden..”

   “I had to make sure you’re safely home, okay? And you’re not a burden, trust me.” Jongin shook his head. “Anyway, there’s also a reason why I brought you to the park the first time before,” Jongin continued. “You looked so sad about letting go of the balloon so I wanted to make you happy and brought you there.”

   Jinri now smiled, “Jongin-ssi..”

   “Oh, and remember when I sent you off alone? You were in a hurry back then because you wanted to bake everyone a cake.”

   The girl nodded. “I was worried I did something wrong..”

   “You didn’t. I’m sorry I let my annoyance out on you but you never knew that I rode the same bus as you just to see you off safe on your stop.”

   Jinri gaped, “You did?! How come I didn’t notice?”

   “You were busy texting me,” Jongin smirked.

   “Yaaah,”

   Jongin chuckled, “Do you remember how I brought you to the mall first thing the day after Valentine’s Day?” After he received a nod, he continued, “That’s because I wanted to show you the mall’s decorations. I knew you were going to like them. And the time when I agreed to go with Taemin and Soojung? We could have left them but I knew you haven’t seen Taemin for ages and I wanted you to at least get to hang out with him even though I wanted to spend the whole day with you.”

   Jinri blushed.

   “But it’s alright, I was able to stay the night in your house and hang out with you the next day anyway.” Jongin smiled, “Remember how I asked more about your bucket list? That’s because I wanted to fulfill them. I wanted to do them with and for you just as how you wrote them while thinking of me.” He held Jinri’s hands and played with her fingers, mumbling. “Aish, I can’t believe I’m telling you these.”

   Jinri giggled and shook her head, “Go on.” She smiled, “I want to know.”

   “This is going to be a long confession,” Jongin chuckled awkwardly.

   Jinri moved a bit to the side of her bed, enough to give space for Jongin. “Lie down with me?”

   “Are you sure?”

   “Mm-hmm,” Jinri nodded.

   Jongin hesitated a bit, biting on his lower lip. He didn’t even know if this was allowed or not.

   “Just get on,” Jinri chuckled.

   “Aish, idiot.” Jongin shook his head and stood. He sat on Jinri’s bed and lied down, making himself comfortable on his side, facing Jinri, his arm already serving as her pillow.

   “Better?” Jinri looked up at him, smiling.

   “Yeah,” Jongin nodded, smiling back.

   Jinri slipped an arm around Jongin’s torso and leaned her head on his chest. “Continue,”

   “Don’t fall asleep on me.”

   “I won’t.” Jinri giggled.

   “Our selca’s my wallpaper,” Jongin started again. “I just thought it’s cute.”

   “Yeah right,” said Jinri then grinned. “Or maybe you’re trying to say we look cute together?”

   “Shut up,” Jongin rolled his eyes but that was really what he wanted to say. “Hey, remember the time you brought me at the chicken restaurant? The waiter said everything was free.” He felt her nodding against his chest.

   “Yeah,” Jinri answered. “Nothing’s more delicious than a free meal, isn’t it?”

   “Actually, I paid for it without you knowing.”

   “Eh?!” Jinri looked up at him with wide eyes. “How?!”

   “I talked to the annoying waitress after I’ve gone to the restroom.” Jongin nonchalantly shrugged a shoulder.

   “I can’t believe you’d do that!” Jinri pouted as she remembered that time when she looked around and saw him conversing with the waitress.

   “Yah, it’s not like I’m really going to let you pay for everything, stupid.”

   “Aigoo,” Jinri buried her face on his chest. “Thank you.” She said, shyly.

   “You’re welcome.” Jongin chuckled then stayed quiet, thinking of what he should say next because there were a lot. “When we were dancing under the rain and I asked you what would happen if I broke my promise..” He gulped.

   Jinri could hear Jongin’s heart starting to beat fast.

   “You ran and I badly wanted to chase after you and hug you tight and never let you go..” Jongin sighed, “Because I felt like I’d lose you if I don’t.. but I was scared that you’d start hating me for it..”

   Jinri frowned, feeling bad that she had made him feel that way. “I will never hate you, Jongin-ssi..” She said, tightening her arm around his waist.

   Jongin smiled a bit. “And remember when I asked you if you were that girl back at the dance studio?”

   Jinri nodded.

   “I never told you but that’s the reason why I took a liking on Soojung. I thought all along that it was her but when I heard you sing with Taemin, I started doubting. Was Soojung the girl I heard and saw singing outside the studio? Then I saw your pictures of back when you still have your long hair. That time, I knew I was having feelings for the wrong girl. It was you. I didn’t break my promise, Jinri.” He lightly pulled her away. With his free hand, he tilted Jinri’s head up to look at her in the eyes. “I’ve had feelings for you way before you asked me the favor. I was just too blinded to see the truth. And if you didn’t come to my life, I would have never even known.”

   “Why are you telling all these to me, Jongin-ssi?” Jinri whispered.

   Jongin leaned his forehead on hers and closed his eyes. “Because I’m scared,” he confessed. “When you fell unconscious in my arms, you never knew how much it hurt me. I never knew that that time, that precise time, you were dying and I was so scared.”

   Jinri noticed some tears already finding their way out of Jongin’s eyelids.

   “While Minho-ssi was trying to save you, I’ve had so much regrets.” Jongin’s voice cracked. “Everything that we’ve gone through flashed back inside my mind all at once and if.. if you died, I’d regret not telling all that I’ve told you just now. That time, I’ve got so much that I want to tell you; I just didn’t know how to open it up but when your heart finally responded, I promised myself I’ll take every chance I’d get just to tell all these to you.”

   “Jongin-ssi..”

   When Jongin opened his eyes, a tear finally escaped and Jinri wiped it away with her thumb.

   She smiled, “At least you were able to tell them to me now while I’m still alive.”

   “You’re going to live, Jinri.” Jongin sniffed and brought his lips on her forehead. “You’re going to live,” he whispered. “I’m not going to let you die, okay?”

   “Okay,” Jinri whispered back.

   Jongin pulled back and leaned his face closer to Jinri until their noses touched, giving her an Eskimo kiss. “I love you.”

   Jinri giggled and smiled, closing her eyes and enjoying the moment. “I love you.”

   “There’s one thing I haven’t told you yet,”

   “Hm?” Jinri opened her eyes and looked at Jongin.

   Jongin fished out something from his pants’ pocket with his free hand and dangled it in front of Jinri.

   Jinri took a good look at the necklace and saw a familiar key dangling on it. But that’s not the only thing; there was also a plain, silver ring dangling with it.

   “Remember when I took the key of your padlock back at the Namsan Tower?” Jongin chuckled, “You wanted to keep it but I’ve got another thing in mind. This is the key of my padlock and this..” He touched the ring with his forefinger and thumb, “is the promise ring you’ve always wanted to have. I’m already wearing mine.” He took something out from behind his shirt and true enough, he also has his own necklace: the key—her key—and a plain, silver ring that looks just like hers but only thicker dangled on it. Jongin grinned at her.

   “Jongin-ssi—”

   “Jongin.”

   “Huh?”

   “Call me Jongin.” The boy smiled at her and she blushed.

   “J-Jongin..” Jinri buried her face on his chest again and he chuckled.

   “So do you like the necklace?”

   “I love it.”