day twenty-seven ; 5/6

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

“Soojung-ah! Jongin-ssi!” Jinri smiled widely and waved her hand up in the air when she spotted the two making their way towards the entrance of the Namsan Tower. They have been looking everywhere for them but they failed so Taemin just decided to call Soojung about their whereabouts. They were already in front of the Namsan Tower when she told them to meet there so they didn’t leave anymore.

   “Aish, you guys! Are you trying to kill us?” Taemin messed Soojung’s hair when she was within reach.

   Soojung playfully glared at him and fixed her hair. “Well, you two were so engrossed with each other and are walking too fast that’s why we weren’t able to catch up with you.”

   “Tch, you’re eating again.” Jongin rolled his eyes at the big pink cotton candy Jinri was holding.

   “Yeah, I told her we’re going to eat dinner soon but she insisted and really wanted a cotton candy.” Taemin shook his head. “Kid,”

   “Don’t blame me! They were taking so long,” Jinri stuck her tongue out.

   Taemin peered at Soojung and furrowed his eyebrows, “Soojungie, did you cry?”

   Jinri looked at Soojung then at Jongin. The boy averted his gaze on something else.

   “Somehow,” Soojung frowned. “Mianhae, I panicked about getting lost and I also thought I lost my phone.”

   Taemin burst out laughing, “Over a simple thing, you cried?”

   “I panicked which caused the tears to come out, okay?” Soojung nodded firmly.

   “Aigoo. Well, let’s go.” Taemin just shook his head and cocked it towards the entrance. “It’s dinner time.”

   Soojung looked at her wristwatch and gasped as it read six forty-five in the evening. “Jinri-ya, it’s past your curfew!” She exclaimed.

   “Ah, don’t worry.” Jinri grinned, “Umma allowed me to be out until nine. Oh, which reminds me! I should text her.” She pulled out her phone and started to type in her message.

            To: 엄마 (Umma)
               Hey, umma. We’re at the Central Seoul.
               We ran into Soojung-ah and Taemin-oppa.
               They’re with us right now. ^ ^ ♡

   Soojung jawdropped. “Imo allowed you to be out until nine?! That’s a first in your entire life history!” She exclaimed.

   “I know! It’s a miracle.” Jinri laughed and felt her phone vibrate. Her mom answered:

            From: 엄마 (Umma)
               Jinjja? That’s great! ^ ^
               Say hi to Minnie and Jungie for me.
               Take care, honey. ♡ Love you!

   “Mom says hi,” Jinri grinned at Taemin and Soojung.

   “Likewise,” Taemin laughed.

            To: 엄마 (Umma)
               Always. ♡ Love you too, umma!
               They also said hi. ^ ^

   “Come on, let’s go. I’m hungry.” Soojung took Taemin’s hand and pulled him inside.

   “Are we..?” Jongin asked and let his sentence drift off.

   Jinri blinked and turned to the two. “Ch-Chakkaman!”

   Soojung and Taemin looked back at them.

   “You haven’t said goodbye yet,” Jinri frowned.

   “We’re eating dinner together, baby girl.” Taemin laughed. “It’s my treat, no worries! Kaja, ppali!”

   Jinri scratched her head and looked at Jongin.

   He just shrugged and went inside. Did he say he didn’t want Taemin paying for his food? Well, he took it back because he sure is hungry and there’s no way in hell is he spending money for an expensive food. If someone offered then why not, right?

▢ ▢ ▢

Jinri and Jongin thought they’d be eating on one of the restaurants on the ground floor but they didn’t; they rode up the elevator and reached the N Grill revolving restaurant and Jinri wanted to go back down and just eat more tteokbokki on the streets.

   Originally, it was supposed to be just Taemin and Soojung anyway, right?

   “This is going to hell’a cost him,” Jongin whispered to Jinri and she couldn’t help but agree.

   She looked around the mansionic restaurant and suddenly felt poor despite being in a well-off family. If she were to order here, she would have gone with just a glass of water and a small bowl of soup. Jinri wondered if Taemin gives Soojung expensive stuff as gifts.

   The revolving restaurant’s interiors have deep green furnishings, hardwood tables and chairs that are clothed with white linen and emphasized by red lamp shades; everything shone and looked spotless and the white grand piano in the middle of the restaurant finished the whole of it off elegantly. There were also crescent loveseats facing the windows especially made for couples.

   The place started to revolve, moving slowly to the right.

   “Daebak,” Jinri whispered to herself as she went to the windows to see the view. It felt like they were on a ship and Seoul was the sea of lights.

   “Do you want to sit by the window or..?” Taemin trailed his sentence off.

   Jinri looked at him and smiled, “Anywhere is fine.”

   Taemin nodded and picked a vacant table near the grand piano and they sat down then a waiter came and gave them each a menu. “Order up,” Taemin grinned.

   Jinri and Jongin looked at the menu and the girl gulped, looking at him. “Jongin-ssi..”

   “Just order,” Jongin said in a voice just loud enough for only the two of them to hear. “It’s his treat anyway.”

   “It’s too expensive.”

   “You’re not the one paying.”

   “But still—”

   “This might be a once in a lifetime opportunity to get to eat in this place for free, okay?”

   “But—”

   “No buts, Jinri.”

   “Have you gotten any orders yet?” Taemin looked up at them, thinking that they were discussing about what food to get.

   “Jinri will get what I’ll have,” Jongin answered as he looked at the menu. “It’s beef tenderloin steak and Caesar salad, iced tea for drinks, and crème brûlée and tiramisu for dessert, thanks.”

   Taemin nodded, “Not a bad choice.” He grinned and turned to ask Soojung.

   “I can’t believe you,” Jinri pouted at Jongin.

   “I’ll finish it if you can’t,” Jongin shrugged nonchalantly. “Stop complaining already.”

   Jinri just stuck her tongue out at him.

▢ ▢ ▢

Everyone happily dug in after saying their prayers. Tears almost flooded Jinri’s sight because of the luscious taste of the steak on her buds and she savored every detail of the food inside , afraid that she would never be able to taste that kind of food ever again.

   “Jinri-ya, slow down.” Taemin frowned as he pushed her glass of iced tea near her. “It’s going to be dangerous if you choke.”

   Jinri swallowed her food and said, “I’m hungry.”

   “You’re always hungry.” Jongin reached for Jinri’s head and messed her hair.

   Jinri pouted a bit. “I can’t help it. And the food here is really great, how can I not eat?”

   “And earlier, you kept complaining.” Jongin raised an eyebrow at her.

   “Shut up,” Jinri nudged him to the side and continued eating.

   “Oh yeah,” Soojung snapped after drinking her iced tea. “Taemin and I are going on a drive-in theater later.” She reminded, “Do you wanna come with us?”

   “A drive-in theater?” Jinri blinked, tilting her head to the side.

   “It’s where you watch a movie on a big screen while you’re inside the car.” Jongin explained.

   “Omo—that sounds fun!” Jinri smiled widely.

   “We don’t have a car,” Jongin pointed out.

   Jinri blew out some air.

   “It’s fine,” Taemin chuckled. “We can use mine.”

   Soojung grinned, nodding.

   “Jongin-ssi?” Jinri looked at him, hopeful.

   Jongin just shrugged. “As long as you’ll be home by nine then fine,”

   Jinri looked at her wristwatch and puffed her cheeks. “It’s quarter to eight,”

   “Aw,” Soojung frowned and sighed, “Alright. Maybe next time,”

   When Taemin was finished with his food, he excused himself and stood. He went beside Jinri and took her hand. “Can I borrow her for awhile? I suddenly remembered that I need to tell her something important,”

   Jongin blinked and shrugged a shoulder, “Sure, whatever.”

   Taemin grinned, “Thanks, man. Let’s go, Jinri-ya.” He pulled her up.

   “Chakkaman!” Soojung’s eyebrows furrowed. “Where are you going?”

   “We’re not going anywhere,” Taemin smiled at his girlfriend. “We just have to be far from earshot.”

   Soojung frowned and nodded anyway.

   “Oppa—” Jinri was not able to continue what she was going to say because Taemin had already pulled her away from their table and towards the other side.

▢ ▢ ▢

Soojung followed them with her gaze and watched as the two conversed secretly. She saw Jinri raising her eyebrows up and smiling brightly, clapping her hands and clasping them on her chest. Taemin had both his palms together as if he was pleading about something; Jinri furrowed her eyebrows, biting her lower lip. What is up? Soojung thought, pouting a bit.

   Taemin already had his palms in front of his face, trying to get Jinri to agree on something Soojung doesn’t know about. He said something that made Jinri’s face light up again and she nodded quickly.

   Taemin smiled widely, happiness drawn over his face, and hugged Jinri tight. Soojung blew on her hair, thinking that it looked like Taemin just asked Jinri to be his girlfriend. When the two pulled away, Jinri raised her pinky and Soojung saw Taemin link his with hers. She looked at Jongin to see his reaction but he was just there, eating the last piece of meat on his plate and pulling the desserts near him.

   “Which one do you think Jinri likes?” Jongin suddenly asked, causing Soojung to look puzzled.

   “What?” Soojung asked.

   “Which one do you think Jinri likes?” Jongin repeated, finally looking up at her as his fingers pointed from one small plate to another. “The crème brûlée or the tiramisu?”

   “Oh, um.” Soojung blinked, looking at the said food. “Jinri loves sweets a lot so..”

   “Hm, I’ll take the tiramisu then.” Jongin placed the crème brûlée near Jinri’s plate.

   That alone made Soojung smile and wonder how it would be like to be his girlfriend. She’ll keep in mind to ask Jinri when she has the chance.

   Everyone heard a tapping on the microphone and when Jongin and Soojung looked around to find where it was coming from, they saw that Taemin was already seated on the piano seat, his hands finding their way to open the keys’ lid while Jinri stood beside the grand piano, her hands clasping around a microphone. There were two other people—must be the staff—setting up another microphone for Taemin.

   “What—what’s going on?” Soojung blinked, the lights inside the restaurant dimming a bit and leaving a spotlight on the stage where the grand piano stood, and Jongin just shrugged although he himself was also curious.

   Taemin cleared his throat and spoke. “Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.” He greeted.

   Some people greeted him back.

   “Does he work here?” Jongin asked Soojung, thinking that he might be a part-time worker there as a pianist or something.

   Soojung shook her head, “Not that I know of. He’s a dance major,” she answered.

   “I hope you’re all enjoying your dinner.” Taemin smiled. “Anyway, I’m here just to let you know that I will be singing and playing the piano for my girlfriend.”

   Everyone cooed.

   Soojung blushed furiously. “What are you doing?!” She mouthed when Taemin locked eyes with her.

   Taemin just smiled at her, “I’m really lucky to have her, really.” He said, not breaking eye-contact with his girlfriend. “Though she could be a brat sometimes—”

   Some people chuckled.

   “—I find it really adorable. If it weren’t for the girl who’s standing on the stage with me,” Taemin looked at Jinri and she looked back at him, smiling. “I wouldn’t have been this happy. It’s somewhat a struggle, really. My girlfriend being in high school and I in college but fortunately, we work things out.” Taemin looked back at Soojung. “And I’m grateful to have her. Soojung-ah,” he said. “The reason why I wasn’t able to be with you yesterday at Valentine’s Day is because I was preparing all these for you. From the dance to the drive-in theater—yes, folks, there’s going to be a drive-in theater later so if you still have time, why don’t you come by and watch?”

   The audience laughed at the sudden advertisement but thought of dropping by anyway.

   “Sorry,” Taemin smiled at Soojung. “I hope this was enough to make it up to you?” He said in a questioning voice.

   Soojung raked her hair back, biting her lower lip. She nodded and smiled.

   “Oh, and this will also be our monthsary celebration as well.” Taemin grinned. “It’s going to be our seventh month on the 18th of February. Five more months to go until our anniversary; let’s aim it together, alright?”

   “Deh,” Soojung answered, nodding.

   “I love you, Jung Soojung.”

   “I love you too, Lee Taemin!” The girl announced, causing the audience to applaud.

   Taemin smiled and turned to Jinri. They both nodded knowingly then Taemin started to softly press the piano keys.


(imagine that it was Jinri singing)

Jongin just watched as the whole thing unfolded like a book. Comparing himself to Taemin, he would never have done all the things he’s done for Soojung. The girl probably might even feel bored if he and Soojung ended up together. He looked at Jinri as she listened to Taemin’s speech with a smile on her face.

   In their non-existent relationship, could Jinri be feeling bored with him as well? Jongin didn’t know but he did hope she doesn’t feel that way. But why wouldn’t she though? Why shouldn’t she when all this while, she was the one doing everything with effort for him. Jongin hasn’t done anything in their relationship. Well, there wasn’t even a relationship to start with. There were no “us”; it was just all about Jongin. And he was just using her to move on.

   Jongin snapped back in reality when he suddenly heard a soft voice filling up the revolving restaurant. He blinked and realized that he had been staring at Jinri all this while and she was staring back at him with a smile. And that soft voice was coming from her; she was singing while Taemin played the piano.

   He never knew Jinri could sing. A blurry memory suddenly appeared in Jongin’s mind but he couldn’t seem to have a grasp of it. It disappeared quickly just as how it appeared. That voice, it sounded familiar. Did he hear it somewhere before?

   Jongin didn’t know the reason but he couldn’t take his eyes off Jinri. She would occasionally look away to look at the people listening and to Taemin who would look at her as well then after that routine, her eyes would go back to Jongin’s.

   Just who are you, Choi Jinri? He thought, and what are you hiding from me?

   Taemin and Jinri started singing in duet and everyone clapped their hands, admiring how youth today could think of something like this to do for their loved ones.

   Soojung glanced at Jongin and bit back a chuckle; he looked so dazed, so hypnotized..

   When the performance ended, Taemin and Jinri got a standing ovation. Some were even tinkling their glass with their fork. Even the restaurant and the kitchen staff gave them a round of applause wherever they were located.

   Taemin stood and, side by side with Jinri, bowed ninety degrees to send their gratitude. The applauses went louder and the restaurant itself seemed to applaud as well as it started to slowly revolve again.

   Taemin took the microphone Jinri used and said, “Thank you for giving me your attention, everyone! Thank you, baby girl.” He kissed Jinri’s forehead and hugged her. “I wouldn’t have done this without you.” They pulled away and Taemin looked at Jongin this time. “Thanks to you too, Jongin-ah! About earlier,”

   Jongin tugged a corner of his lips upward and acknowledged him with a two-finger salute.

   “Have a good night,” Taemin and Jinri bowed again and left the stage.

▢ ▢ ▢

“How are you?” Jongin asked when he decided that Jinri won’t be speaking anytime soon. They were seated at the bus and were already on their way home.

   “Tired but restless,” Jinri whispered, her head still leaning on the window. She smiled, “Time seems to be flying fast.”

   “That’s because you were having fun,” Jongin shrugged.

   “Did you have fun?” Jinri asked but her eyes didn’t leave the view outside.

   Jongin was quiet for awhile then answered, “I guess.”

   “Is it always that way?” Jinri spoke so softly, Jongin almost didn’t catch it.

   “What way?”

   “That when you’re having fun.. That when you’re doing all the things you want to do, time seems to move fast?”

   “. . . I guess.”

   “Does it happen to you?”

   Jongin looked at her. She really did look tired and her pink cheeks seem to have gotten a bit pale. “Yeah.”

   “Are you scared?”

   “Of what?”

   “Of time,”

   Jongin blinked and tilted his head to the side. Sometimes, he just couldn’t understand Jinri even though her words are simple. He felt like there was something more to it than that; like.. they were her own riddles just waiting for him to decipher them. What are you hiding from me, Choi Jinri?

   “Are you?” Jongin answered with another question.

   “Deh,”

   Jongin was about to ask why but Jinri has already fallen asleep. This time, he stared at her. Jinri looked like a baby when she’s sleeping. Well, she always looked like a baby. He also noticed her long eyelashes, the cute moles on her left cheek and nose, and her slightly parted plump lips. His sight lingered on her lips far too long and quickly looked away after realizing what he’s doing. Jongin his lips and shook his head.

   Kim Jongin, what’s happening to you? Get a hold of yourself. He thought.

   Suddenly, he remembered the key he took from Jinri earlier when they went to the balcony of Namsan Tower to get padlocks for Taemin and Soojung. As a tradition, lovers would sign their name or their initials on two padlocks and lock them on the fences. The keys for both padlocks are then thrown to prove their unbreakable love.

   Since Taemin didn’t know that Jongin and Jinri aren’t official, he also bought padlocks for the both of them so they didn’t have any choice but to do as well what Taemin and Soojung have done. They didn’t throw the keys, of course. That’s the least thing they can do. Jinri wanted to keep the key but Jongin insisted she give it to him.

   Jongin fished out the keys from his pocket and looked at it. Unbreakable love, huh?


AUTHOR’S NOTE: Hi, guys. Two more subjects and I’m finally exam-free! Though I’m really worried about one of my subjects. :( I feel like I’m gonna flunk it so if you would take a minute off, please pray that I’ll be able to pass all my subjects because if I don’t, I won’t be able to graduate this March and I might just . . . Ugh. Anyway, I don’t know why but I missed you, guys. e u e ; So I’m updating one chapter today, aha. Don’t forget to comment! I think there are a lot of things in this chapter to comment about so . . . ehe. From now on, why don’t you try taking down comments on your computer/laptop’s notepad as you read? I’ll totes need those for the next updates and I really enjoy reading your comments, guys. ; ;

REPLIES:
   altheajungmontez ; Oh, yay! HAHAHA. It’s great knowing that I have fellow kababayans reading this . . . fanfic of mine. ((= Nahiya naman ako. Don’t cry, bb. <|3
   xyjunn ; I actually don’t like Soojung’s confession either. - ^ - I am annoyed by her, okay. /slapped. Ugh, I love it when my readers quote lines from the chapters. It just means that they understand what Jongin doesn’t understand. He’ll realize soon, don’t worry. o/
   sullitaemin ; I wonder too. o u o ; AHAHA – Jks, you’ll know soon. ♡
   krija10 ; Are you Filipino? :3 HAHA Walang anuman. ;)
   puspitaken ; Questions regarding Sulli’s future will not be entertained. /wink wink; slapped. If I answer, I’ll be spoiling you guys, huhu. ; ;
   baboya010207 ; Thank you! I needed the luck, huhu. Just read on and your questions will be answered sooner or later. ♡ Are the numbers in your username your birthday? Aha – just curious.
   viaxoxo ; Oh! I see, I see. I still have to book a day for Harry Potter marathon because my friends are like . . . “Dude, Harry Potter’s your childhood! It’s not going to be complete if you don’t watch the whole of it!” and I’m like, “Chillax. I’ll watch all of the movies, sheesh.” LMFAO. Wae you flip Krystal? ((= HAHAHA! Sulli ships. ((= Yeah, well, sana. Worried lang ako sa isang subject ko though. :( Hay.
   jannet ; Which part was unexpected, bb? XD Thank you! I hate how I make Jongin so sweet sometimes. It makes me jealous of Jinri. -_- ((=
   olympicmayhem ; HALA SIYA. Wala akong ginagawang masama! *^* Hindi kita pinapaiyak, nang-aaway ka eh. Sumbong kita kay nanay Kyungsoo. ; ; /slapped. MAKIKITA MO RIN IN THE FUTURE, OKAY. FOR NOW, SAVE YOUR TEARS FOR LAST. #BOOM. ((= Ngutut. e u e ; I-stalk ko nga stories mo, HOHOHO.
   lalalululovesyou ; RIGHT?! UGH. If I see them interacting with each other, AISH! I might just rip my throat out from squealing. YES, THAT’S RIGHT. OPPOSITES ATTRACT, OMFG. SO PLEASE, KAI AND SULLI. MARRY EACH OTHER, GDI . . . /shuts up.
   mamakissme ; I CANNOT WITH YOU. Thank you so much for commenting on each chapter, honey! You really made me happy. Anyway, you know you can always just go ahead and feel free to abuse the comment box, HAHA! Tell me everything you want, it’s fine if you’re bad in English. ^ ^ Keep voicing out and you’ll eventually find yourself being good at it sooner or later. Plus, so as long as we can understand each other, screw the bad English. What matters is that you are able to express yourself and deliver the things you want to tell me. ♡