day twenty-seven ; 3/6

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

Jinri widened her eyes when the mysterious dancer took the hoodie off his head. She perfectly knew who he was and she couldn’t believe he’s right beside Kim Jongin.

   She wanted to approach them but the crowd started to move closer to take their pictures. Jinri didn’t know how to get through them so what she did was stand on fours, securing her bag in front of her, and crawl under the crowd, being careful not to be stepped on.

   Finally, she was able to see the space in front and quickly made her way out. She straightened herself and dusted her clothes then she called:

   “Taemin-oppa!”

   The mysterious dancer turned to look at who called his attention and upon seeing the girl whom he hadn’t seen for a long time, he smiled widely.

   “Jinri-ya!” Taemin jogged his way towards her and gave her a tight but warm hug. “Oh my god, I missed you so much, baby girl.”

   Jongin stood there, frozen. Taemin? He thought, trying to rake his mind as to why that name sounded very familiar to him. From where did I hear that name and why is he hugging Jinri as if he didn’t want to let go of her?

   “That must be the girlfriend,”

   “Aw, she must be really happy.”

   “Look at that hug, aigoo.”

   Jongin clenched his fists, starting to get annoyed with everything he hears and sees.

   “Jongin..?”

   The boy turned to his left and saw his unreachable dream girl. Ah, now I remember. He’s the boyfriend. “Soojung..” he whispered as the girl approached him.

   The said girl turned to look at her boyfriend and her best friend hugging and smiled. “They haven’t seen each other for months,” she answered Jongin’s unspoken question.

   Jinri and Taemin faced each other and the boy cupped her cheeks.

   “You look thinner,” he frowned. “Have you been taking care of yourself? Have you been eating healthy food? Have you been resting enough? Have you even been taking your me—”

   “Sssh,” Jinri placed a finger on his lips and Taemin stopped talking. “I’m fine; still alive and kicking.

   “What are you doing here?” His eyebrows furrowed. “You’re not alone, are you?”

   “Alright, you guys.” Soojung interrupted, approaching the two. “I’m getting jealous,”

   Jinri and Taemin pulled away and the girl smiled. “Soojung-ah!”

   Soojung waved a hand at her and turned to look at Taemin. “You forgot about me.”

   Taemin laughed and lightly ruffled Soojung’s hair. “Sorry.” He smiled, “Did you like my surprise though?”

   “I love it,” Soojung grinned. “I was more surprised when Jongin joined with you. Did you know each other?” She asked, her tone rather sounding hopeful. Jongin dancing for her would be really nice.

   “Ani,” Taemin shook his head. “I noticed him dancing to the song earlier so I invited him in. You know each other?”

   “We’re all school mates.” Jinri grinned and skipped towards Jongin. “You were amazing back there,” she smiled, her eyes turning into crescents.

   “Tch,” Jongin just looked away, annoyed.

   “Oh, Jinri’s with him?” Taemin asked.

   Damn right, she is. Jongin thought bitterly.

   “Deh,” Soojung nodded, grinning. “He’s Jinri’s boyfriend.”

   “Bwoh?!” Taemin widened his eyes.

   Jinri blushed. “S-Soojung-ah..”

   Taemin lightly pouted, his eyebrows furrowing in the middle. “Baby girl, how could you replace me?”

   Jongin’s eye twitched at the pet name.

   “Oppa..” Jinri frowned. “It’s.. I.. I didn’t replace you or anything—”

   Taemin started to chuckle. “I was kidding,” he smiled. “Jongin-ah got my looks and my dancing skills. Our names even rhyme. He must have reminded you of me so you went for it.” He grinned at his joke.

   Soojung froze at what Taemin said and looked at Jongin’s reaction.

   Jongin, on the other hand, just rolled his eyes and kept quiet because he didn’t want to cause a scene.. though he badly wanted to punch Taemin in the face so that they wouldn’t have to “look like each other”. And calling me Jongin-ah, tch. Are we close? I don’t think so. He thought.

   “Jongin-ssi, what are you thinking?” Jinri whispered, looking up at him.

   “Nothing,” Jongin answered monotonously.

   “Hey, I was just kidding.” Taemin chuckled. “Oh, I haven’t properly introduced myself. I’m Taemin, Lee Taemin.”

   Jongin just nodded to at least acknowledge his introduction.

   Taemin looked at the time. It said 4:30 in the afternoon. “We’ve more time to kill until dinner, wanna hang out together?” He grinned.

   “Do you?” Jongin asked Jinri, his voice with a hint of coldness.

   “It’s fine, we don’t have to if you don’t want to,” Jinri answered with a smile. “Don’t force yourself, hmm?”

   “Yah, what are you two lovebirds whispering about?” Soojung asked, “Let’s go and have a double date. Jongin, you can’t say no.” She smiled at him.

   Jongin tightened his jaw and Jinri noticed it. She knew he didn’t even want to meet Soojung’s boyfriend, what more hanging out with the both of them? “Jongin-ssi..”

   Goddamn you, Jung Soojung. He thought. That smile she gave him still made his heart skip a beat despite not wanting it to and despite trying to move on. Jinri, you gotta have to try harder. “Arasseo,” he nodded.

   “I’m happy.” Soojung bounced on her heels and turned to her boyfriend.

   Jongin looked away when he saw her tiptoe and lean closer to give Taemin a soft, lingering kiss on the lips.

   Jinri blushed and looked down. She peeked up at Jongin and found his gaze away from the two.. and her. She looked down again and saw Jongin’s hand fisted; she was about to hold it but stopped her hand and held her own instead.

   “Thank you,” Soojung breathed on his lips and smiled, “for that surprise, Taeminnie.”

   “There’s going to be more, Soojungie.” Taemin grinned at kissed her forehead next.

   Taeminnie? Soojungie? The is that, what if Soojung calls him “Jonginnie”? The boy shivered at the thought and cleared his throat to stop himself from throwing up which was mistaken by the two as “You’re in public, guys.”

   “Sorry,” Taemin laughed. “Kaja!” And the two started to walk, followed by Jongin and Jinri.

   While they trailed behind, Jinri couldn’t help but feel sad at the way she’s overthinking. Clutching on her chest, she assumed that Jongin might have agreed to come with them because Soojung said so. Then again, it’s possible because it’s Soojung Jongin likes anyway, not her. What more could be the reason?

   On the other hand, she also felt worried for Jongin. It must really hurt him to see Soojung and Taemin together. It must really hurt him to see her acting that way with him when actually, Soojung has always known Jongin had feelings for her.

   Jinri chew on her lower lip. Eottokhae..

   “Baby girl!”

   Jinri jumped. When she came back to her senses, she realized that Taemin was already in front of her, both hands on each of her shoulder. “D-Deh?”

   “Gwenchana?” The boy worriedly looked at her.

   “Do you want to rest?” Soojung asked.

   Jinri forced out a chuckle and lightly pushed Taemin away, her palm on his forehead. “Gwenchana, don’t scare me like that.”

   “Aish!” Taemin groaned, frustrated. “Mianhae, it’s just—you’re always making me worry! Especially when you’re quiet and overthinking,”

   “You know me so well,” Jinri grinned. “But you’ve got nothing to worry about, I’m fine.” She nodded firmly.

   “Alright then,” Taemin let out a sigh of relief. “Anyway, do you want some tteokbokki?”

   Jinri eyesmiled, “Yes, please.”

   “Awesome,” Taemin nodded and they all went to the nearby tteokbokki stall. He just ordered three orders because when he asked Jongin earlier if he wanted one, he simply just said no.

   And Jongin didn’t want his “rival” paying for his food anyway. He wondered just how much this Taemin knew about Jinri and just how close they really are. Did Jinri like him before? If she did, does she still like him? These questions flooded Jongin’s mind and he hated it.

▢ ▢ ▢

The four were able to find two vacant tables for two not far from the stall and right after they received their food, the three chorused “Let’s eat well!” and started digging in. They—or at least Jinri, Taemin, and Soojung—wanted to sit together but the two tables they got were cemented on the floor so they couldn’t move it. And unfortunately, so are the chairs.

   “Aren’t you hungry?” Jinri asked Jongin.

   Jongin just looked away, shrugging.

   “What’s wrong?”

   He didn’t respond.

   “I’m sorry..”

   “. . .Wae?”

   “I just felt like I had to apologize,”

   “About?”

   “I don’t know..”

   Jongin looked back at Jinri and sighed. He reached for her head and lightly ruffled her hair. “Pabo, gwenchana.”

   Jinri just nodded. She took a piece of tteokbokki in between her chopsticks and brought it near Jongin’s mouth, “Yeogiseo,” she smiled.

   “I can eat by myself,” said Jongin.

   “Just take it.”

   “Aish,” Jongin opened his mouth and ate the piece. “Happy?”

   “Deh, yay!” Jinri cheered. “Just tell me if you want more, okay?” She informed then went back to eating.

   Jongin placed a palm under his chin and quietly watched her as she ate. I wanted to spend the day with just you, idiot. He thought.

   Soojung saw how Jongin look at Jinri and just smiled sadly as she ate her tteokbokki. Jongin-ah, I have some important things to tell you, you know?

   “Jinri,” Jongin called.

   “Hm?” The girl looked up at him.

   Jongin placed a hand under her chin and wiped the red sauce that Jinri failed to off on the corner of her lips with his thumb. “You’re so messy.”

   Jinri blushed at what he did and caused her to stutter her retort, “Y-You.. You were m-messily eating last.. last time too!”

   Jongin smirked, “So? Why are you stuttering?”

   Soojung looked away at the scene and just sighed.

   “Gwenchanayo?” Taemin peered at his girlfriend.

   Soojung looked at him and smiled, nodding. “Deh,”

   Taemin smiled back and looked at the other table. “Those two really look cute together, don’t they?”

   “I’m surprised you didn’t go berserk,” Soojung lightly chuckled.

   “Jongin seems to be a nice guy,” Taemin grinned, looking at her. “I like him for Jinri. Just—she needs to tell me if he ever hurts her though,” he nodded firmly. “I’ll beat the crap out of him.”

   Soojung laughed. “Oh, which reminds me. You miss Jinri a lot, don’t you?”

   “Of course,”

   “How about I let you walk with her later, hm?” Soojung offered, tilting her head to the side. “I’ll take care of Jongin-ah.”

   “You’d do that?” Taemin’s smile brightened. “Because really, I’ve things to tell Jinri. Just a small time is enough, that’ll fit.”

   “Mm-hmm, okay.” Soojung nodded. “I’ll let them know when we’re done eating.”

   “Thanks, Soojungie.”

   “Anything for you,” Soojung smiled.

   “Jinri,”

   “Deh?” She looked up at Jongin.

   “My cake, is it still alive?”

   Jinri widened her eyes and opened her tote bag. She took the two remaining boxes out and placed it on the table. “T-The boxes look fine..” She muttered.

   Jongin took the box with his name on it and opened it. The cake was scattered around the box and the fork inside was filled with it already.

   Jinri opened her box as well and the same thing happened. She frowned and chewed on her lower lip. “This is inedible,”

   “I’ll still eat it.” said Jongin.

   Jinri looked up at him, “Eh?”

   “I’ll eat it,” he repeated. “It’s my fault that I didn’t eat it right away and you worked hard for this. I’ll eat it,”

   “It’s destroyed..” Jinri looked down.

   Jongin took the fork inside and the cake off then he started to eat the treat.

   “Jongin-ssi..”

   “Hey, are you guys done yet?” Soojung asked as she and Taemin walked over.

   “Omo—cake! Where did you buy it?” Taemin asked as he took Jinri’s box.

   “I made it earlier but it’s destroyed now..”

   Taemin took a piece with his forefinger and thumb and popped it inside his mouth. “Mmm,” he nodded. “This is good, Jinri-ya! Can I have it?”

   “Sure,” Jinri nodded and smiled. “It was an extra piece and I didn’t know whom to give it to so you can have it, oppa. Sorry if it doesn’t look.. decent anymore.”

   “It’s fine,” Taemin chuckled. “If you compare it to a person, the appearance doesn’t matter. It’s what’s inside that counts. Thanks, Jinri.”

   “You’re welcome!”

▢ ▢ ▢

When they all finished eating, they continued their stroll around Central Seoul.

   “I’ll go tell Jinri that you want to talk to her, alright, oppa?” Soojung smiled at Taemin.

   “Yeah, please do.” Taemin kissed her forehead, “Thanks.”

   “Anytime,” Soojung slowed down a bit until she’s beside Jinri. “Jinri-ya?”

   “Hmm?” The girl looked at her best friend.

   “Taemin-oppa’s been dying to talk to you,” Soojung giggled. “You should accompany him.”

   Jinri blinked. She was about to look at Jongin for his permission but Soojung took her arm and lightly pushed her in front. “Go,”

   She hesitated a bit and walked towards Taemin who was walking alone in front of them. She bit her lower lip and stopped the urge to look back at Jongin. Gwenchana, she thought to herself. It’s Soojung-ah he likes so I want him to talk to her and be happy. That’s right. “Taemin-oppa,” she greeted with a smile, an arm immediately snaking its way around Taemin’s.

   “Jinri,” Taemin grinned. “I can finally talk to you!” He cheered.

   Jinri laughed and nodded. “I missed you so much, oppa.”

   Taemin smiled, “And I missed you so much.”

   “What’s up?”

   “How long have you and Jongin-ah been dating?” Taemin grinned.

   Jinri blushed, “Um.. Just a few weeks ago.. Three, I think?”

   “Is he taking care of you?”

   Jinri nodded, “Mm-hmm.”

   Taemin paused then asked, “Does he know?”

   It took Jinri awhile to answer. “. . . Not yet.”

   “When are you planning to tell him?”

   Jinri just shook her head.

   “Are you even going to..?”

   Jinri just smiled, “Whatever happens, happens.”

   “How’s Sehun-ah?”

   Jinri bit her lower lip and sighed. “I think he’s doing fine. We don’t.. talk much anymore though.”

   “Wae?”

   Jinri smiled. “I didn’t want to burden him.”

   “I see. Well, you never wanted to burden anyone.” Taemin nodded in understanding as he chuckled. “Hyung said you haven’t been visiting,”

   Jinri lost her smile.

   “I was sort of relieved though because I was with him and earlier when you saw me dancing, he and the rest of the hyungs have left already. I was scared you’ll see each other.”

   Jinri didn’t talk.

   “I know you don’t want to see him, Jinri.. but he wants to see you. He keeps pestering me about your well-being because he knew we’re closer to each other than you are to him but I couldn’t give him a straight answer because I’m busy with college and I thought if Soojung’s now my girlfriend, I’d be able to see you too but turns out, I still can’t.”

   “Are you saying that you’re using Soojung-ah just to see me?” Jinri looked up at him, her eyebrows furrowed.

   “Aniyo,” Taemin shook his head. “I love Soojung, okay? So much; she’s really important to me. It’s just.. you’re really hard to reach.”

   “I’m the home-school-home type of girl,” said Jinri. “Plus, it’s his fault.”

   “Why you’ve been distant? Jinri, he tried.”

   “Suji died.”

   “He’s a practicing doctor.” Taemin sighed, “He’s still studying. He’s not official and he’s not a professional yet.”

   “He still could have saved her..”

   “He misses you so much.”

   “I don’t,”

   Taemin sighed and reached for her head; he ruffled her hair and said. “Sorry for bringing this up,” he smiled. “Please don’t let it get to you, stress you out. I want to see you happy,”

   Jinri shook her head and smiled up at him, “That’s why I do things that make me happy.”

   Taemin chuckled, “Like being with Jongin-ah?”

   Jinri nodded, lightly blushing.

   “But really, Jinri, be honest with me,” said Taemin. “Did you really pick him because I’m so much like him?”

   “Excuse me!” Jinri laughed, playfully slapping his arm with her free hand. “You two have way too many differences so please.”

   Taemin laughed as well.

   They both turned around to see how Soojung and Jongin were doing only to find them nowhere in sight.


AUTHOR’S NOTE: Replies and a longer note would be on the next update. ^ ^