day seventy-four.

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

“Jongin-ah?”

   Jongin, for some unknown reasons, quickly hid the bouquet of flowers behind him as his mom opened the door of his room and peeked inside. He was planning to give it to Jinri later when he visits her to the hospital. “Mom, you could have knocked.”

   Mrs. Kim mischievously smiled, not failing to notice the big bouquet her son was hiding behind him. “I didn’t know you were going somewhere. I suppose that’s for your girlfriend?”

   Jongin let a cough escape from his mouth before clearing his throat, “D-Deh. Anyway, what do you need me for, Mom?”

   “Nothing, I was just checking up on you.” Mrs. Kim said. Jongin expected for her to leave but she didn’t. Instead, she went inside and closed the door behind her. “Can I see them?”

   Jongin sighed as he showed him the bouquet.

   Mrs. Kim took it and sat on her son’s bed, quietly admiring the flowers while a smile softly made its way on her lips. “These are beautiful,” she said. She looked at Jongin when she didn’t receive any answers and found him just staring at the flowers. “So when are you going to introduce her to us, son?”

   “I don’t know, Mom. Soon, I guess.”

   Mrs. Kim nodded in understanding as she gently placed the bouquet down on Jongin’s bed. “Well, your dad and I are going to the hospital for his annual check up. Are you planning to meet her? We can drop you off somewhere.”

   “I’ll be fine, Mom, thanks.” Jongin smiled.

   “Alright then, suit yourself.” Mrs. Kim smiled and stood then she planted a kiss on her son’s forehead. “Take care,”

   Jongin nodded, “Will do.”

   Mrs. Kim then started to walk towards the door but stopped when Jongin spoke.

   “On second thought, Mom—”

   “Hm?” Mrs. Kim turned to her son with her eyebrows raised in confusion.

   “I’ll go with you.” Jongin his lips, “and I’ll introduce you to her.”

▢ ▢ ▢

“Omo, Hwang-ssaem, you’re here again.” Jinri smiled at the sight of the dance instructor entering her room after knocking.

   “Ah, yeah.” Hwang-ssaem hurried next to Jinri to help her sit up on the bed then returned the smile. “I just wanted to know how you’re doing. I hope you’re getting better?”

   “Deh, I feel livelier. Thank you,” The girl answered. “Is Jongin with you?”

   Hwang-ssaem shook his head.

   Jinri paused for awhile before asking again, “Does Jongin know you’re here?”

   Hwang-ssaem seemed to freeze for a second then replied, “No, not really.. I just came to visit you is all. I was uh on my way somewhere and figured maybe I could drop by for awhile.”

   Jinri lightly giggled, “Well, I appreciate it, songsaengnim.”

   Just then, someone knocked on the door again and when it opened, Mrs. Choi and Minho came inside. When the two noticed that there was another presence in the room, they lightly bowed their greeting in which the visitor returned.

   “It’s a pleasure to see you drop by again, Hwang-songsaengnim.” Mrs. Choi smiled softly.

   “Yeah, I was just checking up on Jinri.” The instructor approached the mother, not before bowing to the doctor who made his way to Jinri.

   Minho just nodded his head in acknowledgement and when he got his place beside Jinri, he narrowed his eyes at him as he mumbled under his breath, “He’s been frequenting here lately.”

   “He is, isn’t he?” Jinri chuckled. “But I really don’t mind. And he keeps umma company.”

   “Exactly why I mind. Is he trying to get Mom? Does he like her? Because seriously, he needs to be evaluated.” Minho replied.

   “Relax,” said Jinri. “I think Hwang-ssaem is a good guy.”

   “Good guy my face,” Minho rolled his eyes. “Are you telling me that you like him for Mom?”

   Jinri lightly giggled, “I’m not saying it like that. But if umma’s happy then I’m happy. And remember what appa told her before?” She smiled.

   Minho returned her smile wryly. “Deh, he told Mom that if she wants to love again, go ahead.”

   “So what’s the problem?”

   “He still needs to be evaluated.” Minho insisted, squinting his eyes towards the man again as he conversed with their mom with a smile on his face. “I don’t even know him that much. If he likes Mom, he has to come through me first.”

   “Wow,” Jinri laughed to herself. “Just do what you’re supposed to do with me, aigoo.” She shook her head.

   Minho messed his younger sister’s hair then started to check up on her vitals.

   After a short while, another knock was heard then the door slightly opened.

   Jongin poked his head inside to take a peek and completely went inside, seeing as Jinri got company. “Annyeonghasaeyo, Eomonim.” He bowed towards Mrs. Choi and got quite surprised to see his dance instructor there. He then bowed towards Minho, who immediately returned the greeting, after giving Hwang-ssaem a quick “what-the-hell-are-you-doing-here” look.

   “Hello, love.” Mrs. Choi smiled and gave Jongin’s cheek a soft peck. “It’s nice to see you again. How are you? Oh, and those are lovely.” She commented on the bouquet Jongin was holding.

   “I’m fine, Eomonim.” Jongin smiled, “And thank you, these are for Jinri.” He turned to his girlfriend, giving her a shy smile and the girl returned it back. Feeling a bit of pity because his instructor looked stupid and awkward being left out, he decided to talk to him as well. “Oh, you’re here too.”

   Hwang-ssaem twitched an eye, “What am I, invisible?”

   Jongin just smirked at him and approached Jinri on the same side where Minho was, “Hyungnim.” The two boys shook hands then he gave Jinri’s forehead a kiss. “Hey,” he greeted as he handed her the bouquet. “For you.”

   “Hey back,” Jinri smiled and bowed her head upon receiving the flowers. “These are beautiful, Jongin. I love it; thank you.”

   “Pleasure’s all mine.” Jongin smiled before turning to Minho, “What’s he doing here?” He cocked his head towards his dance instructor.

   “Beats me,” Minho shrugged a shoulder. “Like I told Jinri earlier, he’s been going here a lot lately.”

   “Just let him be, you guys.” Jinri said.

   “I can’t just let him be.” Jongin made a face, Minho nodding at his statement. “He’s my freaking dance teacher. It’s weird seeing him outside the school like this, much more talking to my girlfriend’s mom.”

   “Exactly,” Minho agreed. “It’s weird in general. It’s like he’s visiting Mom instead of Jinri. And he’s not even Jinri’s teacher to start with.”

   “Right?” Jongin nodded in agreement, “I’m really not used to this. It feels different, his aura feels different.”

   “Give him a break.” Jinri shook her head, smiling. “And we’re out of school, maybe that’s why he acts differently.”

   “Why do you keep defending him anyway?” Minho whined a bit.

   “I’m not defending him,” Jinri laughed. “I was just saying is all. And what’s wrong with him talking to umma, really?”

   “It’s weird.” The boys responded in sync.

   “I’m not used to seeing Mom talk to some.. guy.” Minho answered.

   “Well, he’s not just some guy.” Jinri laughed lightly. “He’s Hwang-ssaem and I think he’s nice.”

   “Jinri, Hwang-ssaem has been my dance instructor for years and to see him like this is just.. No.”

   “Maybe you just don’t want your dance instructor becoming my dad.” Jinri said jokingly.

   “Jinri!” The two boys exclaimed in chorus that it got the two adults’ attention.

   Jinri laughed heartily and shook her head. “I was just kidding you two.”

   “That was not a good joke, you brat.” Minho messed his little sister’s hair.

   “You three seem to be having a good conversation over there.” Mrs. Choi said with a smile, leaving Hwang-ssaem by the corner of the room and going to Jinri to get the bouquet of flowers. “Let me arrange these, love.”

   Jinri nodded as Minho answered their mom, “Not really.” He said, “Our conversation is nowhere near fun, Mom.”

   “Oh, by the way, Jinri.” Jongin remembered as he looked at her, “My parents are here in the hospital for an annual check up.”

   Jinri blinked, “Jinjja?”

   “Yeah and I was wondering if it’s alright for me to introduce you to them? I mean, I’m not forcing you if you don’t want to. I can just tell them—”

   “I don’t mind,” The girl smiled as she shook her head. “I actually think it’s time for me to meet them. And it’s best that they know the truth about me, right? Plus, I’m okay now. So it’s alright, Jongin.”

   Jongin bit back a grin but failed as he hugged his girlfriend in gratitude. “Jinri, thank you. You don’t know how excited my mom is to meet you.” He said.

   “Well, you did mention something about your mom saying that you’re keeping me to yourself.” Jinri chuckled.

   As if on cue, a sudden ring interrupted the conversation and Jongin fished out his phone. “One sec,” he said and answered the phone as he made his way towards the corner. “Mom?”

   “Jongin, your dad’s done. Where are you? We should get going now; we’re excited to meet your girlfriend!” Jongin couldn’t help but smile at the excited tone of his mother.

   “I’m in the patients’ ward, Mom.” He answered as he glanced at Jinri and pointed at his phone.

   Jinri just giggled.

   “Oh? Do you have a friend you’re visiting? We can wait, don’t worry.

   “No, it’s alright, Mom. I’ll go out, hold on.” Jongin hung up and looked at Jinri, saying, “This is it.”

   Jinri nodded. “I can’t wait.”

   Jongin went outside Jinri’s room and into the hallways. He saw his parents going outside of Doctor Jeon’s office and when they spotted him, he raised his hand in a wave before jogging towards them. “Mom, Dad . . . Follow me.”

   The couple looked at each other before following Jongin back to the patients’ ward. He stopped in front of Jinri’s room then he heaved a deep breath before releasing it and turning to his parents. “My girlfriend . . . is in here.”

   “Oh my,” Mrs. Kim’s mouth opened in a small ‘o’.

   “She’s been hospitalized for more than a month already because of heart complications but recently, she was able to take the surgery. It was successful and all she needs right now is to rest.” Jongin smiled, “And now, I want you to finally meet her.” He knocked and opened the door then went inside Jinri’s room; he gestured his parents to step in then Jongin looked at everyone. “Uh, I brought my parents with me.”

   “Omo, annyeonghasaeyo!” Mrs. Choi smiled gently as she bowed and approached the two adults for a handshake. “It’s very nice to finally meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Kim. My name is Choi Jina but you may just call me Mrs. Choi.”

   “Mrs. Choi,” Jongin’s mom bowed and smiled. “How lovely.” She scanned the room, “Omo, if it isn’t the assistant, Dr. Choi.”

   “Nice to see you again, Mrs. Kim.” Minho bowed and smiled. “I’m Jinri’s brother.”

   Jongin’s mom then averted her gaze to the bed upon hearing the name and found the girl she has always wanted to meet. She shared the same features as her mother. “And you must be my son’s girlfriend?” Mrs. Kim asked as she approached Jinri.

   Jongin smiled, standing beside Jinri. “Mom, meet Jinri. Jinri, meet my mom and dad.”

   “Hello,” Jinri bowed. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Mrs. Kim, Mr. Kim.”

   Mrs. Kim hugged Jinri and squeezed her lightly before letting go. “How are you?”

   “I’m getting better, thank you for asking. How about you? I heard you went for a check up?”

   “Ah, it’s my husband’s, I accompanied him here.” Mrs. Kim smiled at Mr. Kim and he returned it with a slight wave of a hand. “Just you know, an annual thing.”

   “I never knew your father is Jongin’s dance instructor, Jinri.” Mr. Kim said just as Mrs. Choi gave the new visitors a cup of coffee. “Oh, thank you.”

   Jongin choked at what he heard as Hwang-ssaem felt his cheeks burn up.

   “Ah, you got it wrong.” The instructor defended, “I was uh visiting just like you, Mr. Kim.”

   “Jinjja?” Mr. Kim blinked in surprise, “My mistake, forgive me.” He bowed lightly. “So then Jinri is your student in dance class?”

   Jinri pursed her lips together to stop a chuckle from escaping. She can see how Hwang-ssaem is getting nervous with this “mini-interogation”.

   “No, she isn’t.” Hwang-ssaem shook his head as he cleared his throat, “She visits Jongin every practice so . . . yeah.”

   “I see,” Mr. Kim nodded. “Nice to see you again then, Hwang-songsaengnim. It has been awhile.”

   “Surely.” The instructor bowed and turned to Mrs. Choi, “I should take my leave. I think I’ve overstayed my welcome,”

   “You can stay, songsaengnim.” Mrs. Choi said, “but if you insist, feel free to visit anytime.”

   “Deh,” Hwang-ssaem smiled and approached Jinri to hug her. “Get well soon, Jinri-ya.” He said before facing Jongin who bowed at him and Minho who just gave him a squint. He then bid goodbyes to Jongin’s parents and left.

   “He didn’t have to leave,” Mrs. Kim blinked.

   “Don’t worry, Mom.” Jongin said, “He’s been here since awhile ago.”

   Mrs. Kim just smiled and went back to talking to Jinri and until the night came, the two families got to know each other and promised to keep in touch.


AUTHOR’S NOTE: It has been more than a freaking year since I last updated and sorry if I came back with this boring chapter. To be honest, this is just a filler but don’t worry, I’ll be doing double updates and I’ll explain myself on the next chapter. See you!