day twenty-eight.

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

Jinri stirred awake and felt her head leaning into something that doesn’t feel like a pillow. She opened her eyes and blinked the sleep away and the first color she saw was grey. Eh? She then remembered that Jongin slept over last night and the grey color was his t-shirt. She looked up a bit and saw him sleeping peacefully.

   “Jongin-ssi,” she whispered.

   Jongin shifted a bit and pulled her by the waist, closer to him.

   Jinri blinked rapidly and dipped her head down. She didn’t notice his arm on her waist until he tightened it around her. She blushed, thinking, he’s hugging me. His other arm was already under her head, serving it as her pillow. She looked up again and found an opportunity to study his face closely.

   She could clearly see that his caramel-colored skin is smooth and flawless and Jongin really looked more handsome close-up; his nose is a little pointed, his jaw is sharp, and his lips..

   “Enjoying the view?” Jongin whispered the most clichéd line when someone is staring and curved his lips up in a smirk before opening his eyes to look at her.

   Jinri widened her eyes and blushed at the closeness they have then looked down to stare at his grey t-shirt instead. “I, um..”

   “What time is it?”

   Jinri looked at her wrist watch and saw that it was only a quarter before eight. “7:45 in the morning.”

   “Aish, still early.” He closed his eyes again, not bothering to remove his arm around her waist. “Go back to sleep.”

   “But—”

   Jongin hugged her tighter, tucking the girl’s head under his chin, and Jinri gulped. “Five more minutes then,” he said. “Enjoy this while it lasts, girlfriend. It’s not every day you get to hug me.” When he finally felt Jinri’s shy arm slipping on his waist, he secretly smiled. He couldn’t deny how Jinri fitted so perfectly in his arms. Plus, she was quite a pillow so there’s no way he was going to let go just yet. And of course, he’s not going to let Jinri know of this.

   Meanwhile, Jinri felt as if all her blood rose up to her cheeks. She buried her face against Jongin’s chest and wished that everything between them was real. Jongin felt so warm and comforting and the beating of his heart was so calming that sleep was starting to take over once again.

   But it was pulled back when drops of water started to fall outside. Jongin groaned a curse and pulled away from Jinri. The girl forced herself to sit up and rubbed her eyes, pouting a bit.

   “Is it raining?” She mumbled. Jinri peeked outside but it wasn’t drizzling or anything. She crawled out and squeaked when water greeted her first. The sprinklers on their backyard were scheduled to set off to water the plants.

   Jongin came out soon after and stood beside Jinri who was drying her face, “Are you okay?” The sprinkles completed another round by spraying water on him as well. “What the —”

   Jinri laughed at his reaction but stopped when she got sprayed once again by the sprinklers.

   “That’s right, keep laughing.” Jongin smirked and Jinri just stuck her tongue out.

   She looked around and saw the hose not far from where she stood and for the first time in her life, she finally found a reason to give Kim Jongin a smirk. “Oh yes, I will.” Jinri started to run for it and when Jongin saw where she was heading, he quickly ran after her. Jinri successfully got the hose and quickly turned the tap. She immediately pointed it to Jongin just as the water squirted out from it.

   “Yah!” Jongin tried to get Jinri but the water was preventing him to. He was starting to get soaked but Jinri ignored the fact and just kept laughing. Jongin started to run after her and Jinri squealed and ran away, dropping the hose in the process. The boy quickly took it and grinned as it was his turn to squirt water on her.

   “Jongin-ssi!” Jinri laughed, shielding herself from the water with her hands. She tried to run away but the sprinklers weren’t helping either. Jongin also followed her around, the hose still aimed at her like a gun.

   Like kids, they both laughed as they ran around the backyard, soaked. Jongin found that it’s fun to let loose once in awhile; no wonder Jinri seemed stuck on her child-like state.

   Someone suddenly cleared their throat; Jinri’s mom stood not far from them with her arms crossed above her chest.

   Jongin and Jinri stopped and stood straight beside each other like what children would do when they were caught red-handed. He quickly pushed the hose towards Jinri and she obliviously took it whilst the water kept running. “She started it,” Jongin pointed.

   Jinri gasped, “Yah!” She nudged him to the side and looked at her mom. “It’s his fault!” Jinri pointed back.

   Mrs. Choi sighed, “Jinri, honey, you know well enough you’re not supposed to—”

   “I know, I’m sorry.” Jinri interrupted, her voice sounding as a plea for her mom not to continue what she was going to say. “It won’t happen again,” she forced out a grin. “I promise.”

   “Eomonim,” Jongin started, feeling like he has something to do with the situation. “Don’t get upset at Jinri, it was really my fault. I’m sorry,” he bowed.

   “Gwenchana,” Mrs. Choi just shook her head and smiled. “Go dry yourselves up before you two get sick. Breakfast will be up in a while.”

   The two bowed. When Mrs. Choi left, Jongin and Jinri looked at each other and Jinri just gave him a half smile. Jongin did the same thing as he brushed away some of Jinri’s wet locks away from her face.

   “You should go ahead,” he said. “I’ll take care of the things here.”

   “But—”

   “You heard your mom,” Jongin interrupted. “It’s fine.”

▢ ▢ ▢

After an hour, Jongin and Jinri were already settled at the dining room with pancakes, bacon and eggs, and fried rice serving as their breakfast after taking a bath in their respective bathrooms.

   “So do you two have any plans today?” Mrs. Choi asked as she placed some fried rice on Jongin’s plate.

   Jinri helped herself with the pancakes, “We haven’t thought of that yet, Umma. I figured Jongin-ssi should be on his way home already.” She answered, trying not to sound a bit sad as she placed syrup on her pancake.

   “But it’s too early to leave,” Mrs. Choi frowned. “Uh-uh, honey, not too much syrup. I’m sure Jongin-ah can still stay a few couple of hours more, maybe?” She smiled at him.

   Jinri placed the chocolate syrup bottle down and looked hopefully at Jongin.

   “I guess I can just do my homeworks later tonight,” Jongin shrugged.

   “That’ll be a yes then,” Mrs. Choi giggled. “You can do homeworks with Jinri if you want. You’ve got loads of time anyway.”

   Jongin nodded, “Arasseo.”

   And homeworks they did after eating breakfast. Since Jongin didn’t bring his textbooks—why would he even if he’s just going to dance practice?—, Jinri shared hers with him; after all, even if they aren’t classmates, they still studied in the same school.

   Jongin and Jinri did their homeworks on the small gazebo in the Choi’s backyard. The tent was still there but the pillows and blankets inside were already folded neatly. Jongin had the opportunity to admire the place; the backyard was beautiful. There were different types plants and flowers everywhere—like roses, tulips, baby’s breath, chrysanthemums, hibiscuses, irises, magnolias, camellias, etc.—and with the trees adding up, it looked like they either camped in the middle of the woods or in the park.

   Jongin’s attention averted back to Jinri. She looked so concentrated on her history assignment, biting the end of her pen as she read. He realized that he had developed a habit of watching her and he knew he would have hated it but surprisingly, he didn’t.

   Some of Jinri’s hair slid from behind her ear as she moved to answer the questions in her notebook. Jongin fought the urge to tuck it back and there, he found another habit he had developed: touching Jinri’s hair in any way possible. The first time he ruffled her hair, he found how it felt so soft against his hand so when he saw the opportunity to finally run his fingers through her hair back at the park, he grabbed it despite the resistance.

   Jongin dejectedly looked back at his geometry assignment and frowned. Who needed this anyway? Definitely not him, that’s for sure. If you think about it, you don’t solve complicated numbers in the course of your life, aside from being in high school—or college, even, unless you took up engineering or architecture or accounting or physics, whatever—but in reality, the major problems being faced by everyone are the likes of corruption, pollution, poverty, etc. You don’t look for pollution’s diameter or circumference around earth. You don’t look for the corruption’s area nor how many degrees have the poverty reached. What should be done is for people to think on how to lessen pollution, stop corruption, and help the needy then act upon it. Where are the complicated numbers in that?

   Though sometimes, their geometry teacher tended to relate geometry with love, just for the fun of it—or as he says, for the students to relate to it. For example, finding ‘X’; he’ll say “find your ex.” Most of the students would laugh because they found it funny but Jongin retaliated in his mind: ‘Y’ would you even look for your ‘X’? And then he’d smirk at his own joke. Other examples are the famous sad love stories of the asymptotes, parallel lines, and tangent lines in which the asymptotes could only get closer and closer but could never be together, the parallel lines were never meant to meet and the tangent lines were once together then parted forever. There were also cheesy jokes like how someone’s love is like a line, it’s never-ending. Or love is undefined just like a point, line, and plane. Or “if you and I are compared in a ratio, you are so much better”. Or how love doesn’t have to be proven like a theorem because it’s like a postulate, accepted without any proof.

   Bull.

   It’s not like anyone will actually use those terms with love. Let alone geometrical terms. If it’s love, it’s love.

   “Jongin-ssi?”

   He snapped out of his thoughts.

   “Are you having trouble with your homework?” Jinri asked. When she lifted her gaze at him, she found how he was frowning and the glare he’s giving the book would probably have already burnt a hole not only in it but also on the table if he could.

   “Ah, no.” Jongin just shook his head. “I was just thinking,”

   “You look bothered by your thoughts.”

   Actually. “Nah,”

   “You should smile more often, Jongin-ssi.”

   “I’m already handsome this way.”

   “Well, you’d look more handsome.” Jinri grinned.

   Jongin let himself chuckle. He reached for Jinri’s hair and lightly ruffled it which earned a pout from the girl.

▢ ▢ ▢

Jongin and Jinri spent the day together sitting on the carpeted floor, watching movies in the living room and munching on Mrs. Choi’s freshly baked cookies. Sometimes, she would join them in watching but other times, she left the “kids” alone.

   It was half past four when everyone agreed for Jongin to go home already. After fixing everything in his bag, he zipped it up and slung it over his shoulder. He looked at Mrs. Choi and Jinri and bowed.

   “Thank you for having me,”

   “You’re always welcome anytime, Jongin-ah.” Mrs. Choi smiled and hugged him. “It’s a pleasure finally meeting you, sweetheart.”

   Jongin lightly squeezed her, “Likewise, Eomonim.”

   “I’ll go with him out,” Jinri said, smiling, when the two faced each other.

   Mrs. Choi smiled back, nodding.

   When Jongin and Jinri reached the front porch, the boy stopped and faced her. “I’ll be fine from here, you don’t have to walk me all the way to the bus stop.”

   “But—”

   “Jinri.” Jongin interrupted and the girl just sighed.

   “Alright..”

   Silence filled the air; it was obvious nobody wanted to leave.

   Let’s take a selca together!” Jinri suggested, lightening up the mood, as she fumbled with her phone.

   Jongin just shrugged and stood beside her while the girl tapped the front camera settings and stretched her arm out, adjusting her hand for her and Jongin to fit in the screen.

   “Say kimchi!” Jinri grinned and Jongin just simply smiled at the camera.

   After taking their photo, the two looked at it and Jinri blushed at Jongin’s smiling face. It was a good thing that she was looking down and her hair was blocking her face so that the boy wouldn’t be able to see it.

   “I’ll send this to you.” She quickly said.

   After receiving the picture, Jongin looked at it and whispered: “Time flew by so fast.” Enough for the girl to hear.

   Jinri looked up at him and smiled, her eyes turning into crescents. “Meaning you had fun, right?”

   “I’d be lying if I said no,”

   “I’m so happy to know that!” Jinri clapped her hands. “There’s going to be a next time, right?”

   “Definitely,” Jongin smiled.

   Upon seeing that smile once again, Jinri felt her blood rising up to her cheeks. She blinked rapidly and averted her eyes away, suddenly feeling a bit shy.

   Jongin saw it and raised an eyebrow; his smile then turned into a smirk as he took a step forward. “Hm? Feeling shy now, aren’t we?” He teased.

   Jinri stepped back and gulped, not meeting his gaze. “I’m—I’m not.”

   “Then why are you stuttering?”

   “I—”

   “Why are you blushing?”

   “I’m n—”

   “Why can’t you look at me in the eye?”

   “Yah!” Jinri tried to glare at him but she quickly looked away again.

   Jongin chuckled, “How cute,” he teased. “See you tomorrow, Jinri.”

   “Y-Yeah, s-see you..” Jinri fiddled with her fingers.

   Jongin just shook his head, smiling. He lightly ruffled the girl’s hair. “Bye,”

   Jinri shyly looked up at him and, with a smile, said in a small voice, “Take care..”

   “Will do.”


AUTHOR’S NOTE: I have a feeling that you guys will be pissed off at the next chapter.. Or maybe that’s just me. Yep, that’s just me. Meeeh—Anyway, sooooo? How do you like this chapter? ;> Hihi. Hit the comment box below and tell me what you think! For the silent readers out there, hiii ~ o/ /smacked.

REPLIES:
   iheartsehun ; Was I able to satisfy your cravings for more Kailli fluff? o v o ; ♡ Eheh—
   olympicmayhem ; OH ITO PA. CATCH! ((= /throws this chapter at you. XD Psh, ikaw na malakas kay Mommy Kyungsoo. ; ; /clings to Suho-appa. ♡ HA, ‘TIS GUY GOT THEM RICHES. ;> XD WTH – “Suddenly, as Sehun watched the people passing by, a certain girl caught his eye. He wasted no time. He stood from his seat and bolted out until he reached the lucky girl. “Hi, what’s your name?” The girl looked up at him and said, “Olympicmayhem” . . . OMFG I CANNOT. ((= Yes, marathon. :3 Ayaw mo nun? XD
   lalalululovesyou ; Ay, hala. ((= Totoo agad? Baka makulong ako niyan. XD OMG. WHAT—ANONG NANGYARI SA TAELLI COUPLE WHAT? Actually, may feels nga ako na ang SME, medyo mga snobs eh. e n e ;
   Hanako-chan ; Aye! Your username is so kyeoptuh. ♡ Anyway, welcome aboard, bb! o/
   psyche94 ; Makes you what? OMG Is it something positive? Negative? OTL OTL Anyway, yessum! I get what you mean. >w<

  KimTaeya ; OTL At first, you got me paranoid, I was like . . . Chapter 16?! But it’s only until chapter 14! HAHA. XD Oh whales. Welcome aboard, bb! Enjoy the ride with us~ o/ ♡

DISCLAIMERThe jokes regarding geometry and love weren’t mine. I just researched them on google so credits go rightfully to their owners.