day seventy-nine; 2/3

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

Minho groaned as he sat on the chair by the hallways near Jinri’s room. He couldn’t help but blame himself for what happened. That letter must’ve slipped off his pocket when he took Jinri’s phone out and he didn’t even notice. He felt as if he was jinxed; all he wanted was for Jinri to be alright but now, this had to happen.

   Minho bent down, placing his elbows on his knees as his thoughts wandered. He hasn’t called Jongin; he didn’t call him on purpose. The boy was still at school and it would just make him worry if Minho delivered him the message. The only ones he has told of what happened to Jinri were their mom and Sehun.

   Sehun . . .

   Minho’s thoughts were brought back on that day.

 

“Didn’t Jongin tell you guys that you’re not allowed to visit Jinri today?” Minho asked as he averted his gaze from the paper he was reading to Sehun who came inside his office.

   “I know, hyung. I didn’t come for Jinri, I came for you.” The boy said as he slid an envelope on Minho’s table.

   “For me? Why?” Minho took the envelope and when he saw Jinri’s name written on it, he placed it inside his coat’s pocket, mentally noting to give that to his sister.

   Sehun went straight to the point. “Is it possible for me to donate my heart to Jinri?”

   Minho widened his eyes at what he heard then furrowing his eyebrows, he exclaimed. “Sehun, no! Of course not, that’s illegal!”

   “People don’t have to know I was alive—”

   “It’s a no, Sehun. What’s gotten into your mind?” Minho asked, his face stern and serious. “That’s killing!”

    Sehun sighed in defeat. Of course, he knew what he was thinking is illegal. He just thought maybe if he talked this out with Minho, he’d reconsider. “I just want to save Jinri, hyung. Isn’t there anything I can do?” He was just so desperate. He had just lost someone close to him and he didn’t want to lose another one. It’s okay if he was gone, just.. not Jinri.

   “The only way to save Jinri is a heart donation from someone who is brain dead, Sehun.” Minho answered, pinching the bridge of his nose as he leaned back on his chair. He’s been so stressed out lately and Sehun’s adding up to it. Has he gone crazy? Where is he getting these thoughts from?

   “Brain dead?” Sehun whispered to himself then he remembered something. “Does aneurysm count? That causes brain death, right?” He looked at Minho.

   “Aneurysm?” Minho raised his eyebrows at the boy. Why is he getting surprised with the things Sehun are saying today? “Yes, it does. Brain aneurysm causes bleeding on the brain and leads to a that most of the time leads to death.”

   “That’s it..” Sehun mumbled. “Look.. A few days ago, the parents of my closest childhood friend called me and told me that he got admitted to this hospital. I visited him but after a few hours, he passed away . . . just like that.” He gulped, feeling a light pinch on his heart as he remembered that day. That was the day when he was in a hurry and got soaked under the rain. He wasn’t able to dry himself up when he visited Jinri after to seek for some comfort.

   People have been asking him if he was okay; they’ve been noticing how extra quiet he was but of course, he couldn’t say anything because the worry they have towards Jinri is enough. He didn’t want to add up to it. Everything was so heavy for him—the heartache and the loss at the same time—that he took it out on Taemin the day when he interrogated him. But he needed to stay strong for the people around him. He didn’t need anyone worrying for him, especially Jinri.

   “He closed his eyes and we thought he was just going to sleep. I mean.. His heart was still beating, you know?” Sehun continued. “Then we found out he was already dead. His family didn’t believe it though because we can clearly hear his heartbeats but it was declared after the doctors let the family watch them run some tests.. He’s already brain dead and no matter how much the family insists to revive him, it just wouldn’t work. It’s been two days now but they still don’t want the life support off.”

   Minho tilted his head a bit to the side at Sehun’s story, eyebrows furrowing as he listened. It sounded familiar, he’s been hearing about it from other nurses and doctors the past few days.

   “It was hard to talk to him but we were able to talk,” said Sehun. “He told me that he really wanted to help someone in any way he could and if his body permits, he’ll be an organ donor. Hyung, this is it. Help me fulfill that wish for my friend and save Jinri.”

   “But we don’t know yet if his parents will allow it,” Minho pointed, considering what Sehun had said. Indeed, it was a good plan but everyone has to be on their side. They can’t just decide on things hastily.

   “That’s why let’s talk to them, hyung. But don’t let the others know about it,” said Sehun. “It has been awhile since I saw Yongha and my friends don’t know about him.”

   Someone then knocked on the door and when it opened, Taemin walked inside. “Hyung? Sehun-ah?”

   “Like I said,” Minho cleared his throat. “You’re really not allowed to visit for today, Sehun. Don’t be stubborn now,” then he looked at Taemin. “You too. Go, I’m busy.”

   And that was when everything got processed. Doctor Jeon and Minho talked to Oh Yongha’s parents and doctor to settle things with them and when they agreed, tests were immediately ran and on that same day, they found out that the boy’s heart matched Jinri’s.

   But because Sehun is too secretive, some people speculated things that shouldn’t have been there in the first place. Yes, he did ask if he can donate his own heart but even if it’s allowed, Minho’s not going to let him do that. And Taemin thought Sehun did and it took Minho a hard time convincing him that the boy did not donate his heart because he was nowhere to be found.

   “Then if Jongin told everyone they’re not allowed to visit Jinri and Sehun knows about it, what’s the real reason why he’s in the hospital that day, talking to you?”

   With that, Minho didn’t have any choice but to tell Taemin everything about Sehun and his friend, Yongha.

▢ ▢ ▢

, , , —

   Sehun ran as fast as he could to get to the hospital from home. He pressed the up arrow of the elevator repeatedly but didn’t have the patience to wait for it. Taking two steps at a time, he dashed through the staircase until he reached the sixth floor where Jinri’s room was located. When he turned to the patients’ ward, he immediately saw Minho sitting on the chair by the hallway with his upper half bent towards his legs and hands covering the back of his head.

   “H-Hyung . . .” Sehun caught his breath as he cautiously walked towards the man.

   Minho lifted up his head and stood when he saw the boy he hasn’t seen for more than a week. “Sehun,”

   “W-What happened to Jinri?” Sehun furrowed his eyebrows, his facial expression filled with worry.

   “She’s sleeping now.” Minho rubbed his face with his palms. “Ugh, it’s my fault. I didn’t know I was using the damned coat where I placed your letter. It must have slipped off my pocket when I handed Jinri’s phone to her.”

   “I seriously forgot everything about the letter! I didn’t say I was dead, right?” Sehun messed his hair in exasperation. “It was on my mind to get it back but I immediately forgot all about it when Taemin-hyung came in, .”

   “You didn’t but it did sound like you are dead.” Minho sighed in defeat as he took the opened envelope from his pocket and gave it to Sehun. “You knew you won’t be able to make it to Jinri’s surgery day even if it hasn’t happened yet, what do you think people will think if they read this?”

   “I knew because I was busy helping Yongha’s parents on the funeral and besides, Jongin was with her anyway.” Sehun answered as he re-read his letter then he whispered. “Jinri doesn’t really need me anymore.”

   “Don’t say that.” Minho frowned, “You’re still her friend, Sehun.”

   Sehun clenched his jaw, friend? “Sure, did she even look for me?” He mumbled.

   Minho paused for awhile and didn’t speak.

   Sehun then knew what the answer was. “Whatever. Anyway, how long was Jinri out?”

   “Around three hours already,” Minho answered. “She was panicking and we couldn’t calm her down so we had to give her anesthesia or else it might cause a malfunction on her heart.”

   Sehun chewed on his bottom lip, “Is Jongin coming here?”

   “No,” Minho shook his head. “He said he won’t visit today to let Jinri rest.”

   “Okay, good.” He just nodded. “I need to spare some time.” The boy flopped down on the chair and leaned his back on the wall. “God, I feel so messed up right now.”

   “Go compose yourself first,” Minho placed a hand on Sehun’s shoulder. “You can go inside Jinri’s room in awhile.”

   Sehun smiled a bit. “Thanks, hyung.”

   “Call me if anything,” Minho nodded and left against his will to attend to his other schedules.

   Sehun heaved a deep breath and let it out as he closed his eyes. He doesn’t really have anyone to confide in that he’s been keeping everything to himself so he didn’t know what to do and where to start anymore. He then opened his eyes and when he did, he saw another girl looking down at him.

   “Oppa,”

   “Oh Hayoung,” Sehun stood. “What are you doing here?”

   “I just wanted to see the person who got Yongha-oppa’s heart . . . and yours.”


AUTHOR’S NOTE: Credits to this site for the information I placed in this chapter but I’m not a professional doctor so maybe what I wrote here isn’t as legit or I may have placed the wrong information but anyway, I tried to be as realistic as possible even if this is just fiction. OTL And Oh Yongha is an original character I made so that there won’t be any misunderstanding as to who that “Oh” donator was. I tried to fit some puzzles so that what is happening can be understandable but I don’t know. Some people also wanted Sehun to like have a partner and I figured I’ll use APink’s Oh Hayoung since there are people who ship them both. Yeah. I’m getting y, I’ve been so busy with Graduate School and I haven’t had the time to write. : (( Anyway, Happy New Year, guys! I’m sorry. Bye.