day thirty-four.

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

Choi Jinri—”

   Umma, I’m going to be fine!” Jinri hurriedly slung her bag over her shoulder and prepared to leave. It was early in the morning and when Mrs. Choi found out that Jinri’s going somewhere that day, she got furious. “You know I leave every Satur—”

   “You never leave every Saturday before!” Mrs. Choi spread her arms wide in emphasis. “Just because I let you do things that you wanna do now doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to stop you from doing them anymore! You assured me that if I let you on your own, nothing bad is going to happen. Look at you! You look as pale as—”

   “Umma, please..” Jinri furrowed her eyebrows and sighed. “I’m doing the things that make me happy..”

   “And sicker! You’re not leaving this house and that’s final.”

   “I made a promise—”

   “Jin—”

   “I told you, I’ll be fine!” Jinri interrupted. “You practically locked me inside my room the whole day yesterday, Umma! I’ve rested well enough.” She walked towards the door and wore her shoes.

   “Choi Jinri, if you step a foot outside this house, expect that you won’t be able to set another in when you get back.” Mrs. Choi firmly warned.

   “See you later, Umma.”

   And with that, Jinri left.

▢ ▢ 

“Today is the daaaaay!” Chanyeol sang from his highest tone despite his bass voice after being given another break from Hwang-ssaem. He approached Jongin who was drinking his water and leaning on the wall, and nudged him to the side. “Thanks for letting her hang out with me, Kkamjong.” He happily grinned.

   Jongin just kept quiet, staring into blank space after he placed the cap of his bottle back on.

   “What’s up?” Jongdae asked, “What’s with today?”

   “I’m hanging out with Jinri,” Chanyeol proudly announced.

   “I hate to break it to you, buddy,” Baekhyun patted the tallest’s shoulder. “But wasn’t she absent yesterday? What if she won’t make it today too?”

   “Oh yeah..” Chanyeol pouted at him and turned to Jongin, “Yah, Kim Jongin! What happened to Jinri? Why didn’t she go to school yesterday?”

   Sehun eavesdropped as he dried his face from sweat.

   Jongin didn’t answer him. If Jinri got sick though, it would have been his fault, right?

   “Jongin-ah?” Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows at him. “Quite frankly, you’ve been really quiet since yesterday too. Did something happen with Jinri?”

   Does she always have to be involved?” Jongin glared at the other and looked away, feeling guilty right after. He shouldn’t be snapping and letting it out on people who’ve got nothing to do about it. “I’m sorry,” he muttered.

   Hooo, chillax, bur-ruduhh!” Jongdae raised both his palms up. “No need to get all cranky.” He turned to Kyungsoo. “Maybe, he’s just quiet because he didn’t get to see her.” The troll smirked and hollered at some people, “Yixing-ah! Zitao-ya! Luhan-ah! You’re classmates with Jinri, right? Got any news why she was absent yesterday?”

   The three Chinese-blooded boys just shook their heads.

   Upon realizing that Sehun won’t get any useful information about what happened to Jinri, he just sighed and let worry eat him up alive. What could have happened to her?

   A familiar ringtone started to ring and Jongin looked down at the phone that was vibrating near his foot. Half of the screen was covered with someone’s jacket but he can clearly see “엄마 (Umma)” in it.

   Sehun immediately pulled the phone out and quickly kept distance from the rest of the guys.

▢ ▢ 

“Imo?”

   Sehun-ah..” A familiar voice he hadn’t heard for awhile now came from the other line. Seeing the name 진리의 엄마 (Jinri’s Umma)” flashing on his screen panicked him and Mrs. Choi sounded very worried, alarming the boy.

   “Gwenchana? What happened? How’s Jinri? Where is she?” Sehun asked in a hushed tone, careful not to be heard by anyone. He cautiously looked behind him and saw that everyone’s having their business but he noticed how Jongin looked away from him and that worried him; did he see who was calling?

   I-I just don’t know who to contact,” Mrs. Choi’s voice was shaking. “I tried to stop her from leaving but she’s not listening to me. Is she by any chance with Jongin-ah?

   Sehun froze and widened his eyes, What?

   I wasn’t able to get his number, I just—” Mrs. Choi sobbed, “I’m sorry, I’m just really worried for Jinri. She left and I wasn’t even able to tell her to take care and she’s not answering my calls. She was sick yesterday and I told her to stay but she’s just too stubborn and—

   “Imo, calm down—”

   I can’t, Sehun-ah.” said Mrs. Choi, “You do know who Kim Jongin is, right? I mean—You’re close with Jinri so you should know who he is, yeah? Can you tell him to bring Jinri home, just in case?

   Sehun glanced at Jongin with his eyebrows furrowed. How did Imo know about him? He thought and immediately figured out that there are some things Jongin’s not telling them. “Yes, Imo.” He answered. “I know Jongin-ah; he’s actually a friend of mine as well. But I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to see Jinri later so you’ve got nothing to worry about. I’ll try my best to convince her to go home right away.”

   Thank you. Thank you so much, Sehun-ah!” Mrs. Choi wiped her tears on the other line. “Please let me know if anything happens, alright?

   Sehun nodded, “Will do. Don’t stress yourself out, Imo. I got this. Take care,”

   At all times. Take care, Sehun-ah.

   “Deh,”

   Sehun gripped on his phone after hanging up. Why didn’t Jongin say anything about meeting Jinri’s mom? And what just happened with those two that made Jongin distant and Jinri sick? It’s impossible for it to be a coincidence, isn’t it? And Chanyeol—

   The boy snapped his head towards the tallest and was about to make his way towards him; he had to stop today’s plan.

   But Hwang-ssaem called their break off.

   Goddamn it.

▢ ▢ 

“Jinri-yaaa!”

   Jinri pushed herself away from the wall she’s leaning to and smiled brightly at Chanyeol who just came out from the dance studio. “Are you done?”

   “Deh, practice is over. Why don’t you come inside and wait for awhile? I still have to fix my stuff, you see.” Chanyeol offered, shyly rubbing his nape. “And Jongin’s been very quiet. I don’t know if something happened or maybe it was because you were absent yesterday so why don’t you talk to him first?”

   “I-I.. Yeah..” Jinri said, nodding. “Yeah, sure. Of course..”

   Chanyeol, failing to see her hesitation, grinned and opened the door. “After you,”

   Jinri took a deep breath and stepped inside the dance studio. Despite it being air-conditioned, the place felt somewhat warm. Maybe it was because everyone just finished practicing and she never really noticed because she usually comes inside the studio on breaks.

   Everyone turned to look at Jinri and excitedly greeted her like kids who just saw their favorite teacher after a long time.

   “Hey, Jinri!”

   “It’s Jinri!”

   “Jinri-ya!”

   Jinriiiiiiiiii!

   The last one came from Baekhyun.

   Jinri just bowed, “Annyeong.”

   “Jinri-ya, why were you absent yesterday?” Zitao asked, frowning.

   Jinri fell quiet for awhile, raking her mind for reasons she can come up with. But then again, a little bit of truth wouldn’t hurt, right? It still is the truth anyway. “I.. I got sick, that’s all..” She grinned to convince.

   Jongin just looked away and started packing up whereas Sehun scoffed because he knew it when Jinri’s expressions were genuine or forced. He knew her so well that way.

   “Aigoo, I got worried you might disappear like you did last year, Jinri-ya.” said Yixing.

   “Oh yeah, we were classmates back then.” Minseok nodded, remembering. “Jinri left school for.. I guess, almost the whole year? I’m surprised she was able to cope up with all the lessons in just a span of a week—or something—for finals. I think she’s a genius.” He grinned. “Don’t you think so, Sehun-ah?”

   Sehun froze for a second and just shrugged a shoulder.

   Jongin squinted his eyes at the youngest.

   Jinri chuckled nervously, “I-I was.. I was on an early vacation, aha..”

   “Well, are you alright now?” Kyungsoo asked.

   “We can go out next time if you want, Jinri-ya.” Chanyeol’s eyebrows furrowed. “You don’t have to force yourself.”

   “I’m fi—”

   “Chanyeol’s right.” Sehun blurted out. He widened his eyes upon realizing what he had just done but it’s too late because everyone’s eyes were on him already. And the gaze he felt boring into him came from Jongin.

   “Sehun..” Jinri frowned.

   The youngest just sighed. “I-I just..” He regretted opening his mouth but it just kills him inside knowing what Jinri was really going through yet he can’t do anything about it but to keep watch and look after her from afar. “I mean, if you were sick yesterday, you should be resting today as well. Your mom might be really worried for you,” Sehun quietly prayed that Jinri would get where he was going with the conversation.

   The rest agreed, nodding and sharing several “yes” and “yeah” with each other.

   Jinri’s eyebrows furrowed at him, her gaze asking if her mom called him and her unspoken question was answered by Sehun who pursed his lips together, tugging a corner up, and shrugging one shoulder while cocking his head to the side. He was thankful that the connection was still there.

   The girl sighed and looked at everyone who was urging for her to just go rest. Her gaze landed on Jongin whose attention was on Sehun; he wasn’t glaring at him or anything but she knew he was thinking of something. Jinri just grinned and said, “I’m fine already, guys, really. What do you think did I do the whole day yesterday but rest, right? Plus, I was excited for today just like you are, Chanyeol-ah, riiiiight?” She looked at him, “That’s why I made sure that I’m a hundred percent fine for today.” She nodded to emphasize her point.

   Sehun groaned inwardly, lifting his hand to facepalm himself but stopped mid-air and pulled back, the hand in the process. That’s how she convinces people with her sugar-coated stubbornness and he once fell victim with that as well.

   Chanyeol flushed before clearing his throat and scratching his head. “Well, yeaaah..”

   “Then what are we waiting for?” Jinri chuckled, “Really, do I look sick to you, guys?” She raised her eyebrows at everyone.

   The boys shook their heads but Sehun knew otherwise. Her colors were gone and sure, she has milky white skin but that doesn’t mean her paleness won’t be obvious. People may think it’s her natural color but in reality, it isn’t.

   “See?” Jinri smiled, her eyes turning into crescents. “I’ll wait for you out, Chanyeol-ah.” And after taking one glance at Jongin who happened to look back at her, she gave him a small smile and went out.

   Jongdae went beside Jongin and said, nudging him with his elbow. “So something did happen.”

   “Leave me alone,” Jongin muttered.

▢ ▢ 

Jinri’s grin faltered when the one who went out from the studio wasn’t Chanyeol but Sehun who was able to slip out of the room when everyone went back to busying themselves with their stuff.

   “Sehun..”

   Sehun resisted the urge to hug the girl. It’s been so long since they were together like this, let alone talk with each other. “You have to go home, Jinri..” He furrowed his eyebrows. “Your mom, she’s really worried sick.”

   “I’m fine, Sehun-ah..”

   “You’re pale..” He said, “The other day, it rained. You played under it, didn’t you? And I won’t be surprised if you were with Jongin.”

   “I’m sorry.” Jinri looked down.

   “Jinri, you said you’d take care of yourself.” Sehun sighed.

   “But I am..” She insisted. “Please don’t worry about me, Sehun-ah.. I don’t want to burden you, you know that.”

   “Well, can you blame me?” Sehun said in exasperation. “Please postpone the day; this is for you anyway.”

   “I promised Chanyeol we’ll go out,” said Jinri. “And it’s too late to back up now, it’s already settled. I’ll rest once I reach home, I promise.” She smiled in assurance. “Okay? I’ll inform Chanyeol to call you once I’m on my way home.”

   “I’ll be okay about it because you never break your promises but I’d really feel responsible if something happens to you.” Sehun tried to give back a smile.

   “Because Umma called you?”

   “Because I care.” He answered, “You know I always have. I never stopped. Even if Imo didn’t call me, I’d still feel responsible.”

   “Sehun..”

   “You were never a bother to me, Jinri.” Sehun reached for her forearm but stopped midway and pulled his hand back; he said. “Neither were you a burden. I want to stay with you, beside you.. There never was a day that I didn’t think about you and how you are doing. The things I do for you are because I want to do them for you. Please understand that.”

   Jinri looked down.

   “Jinri-ya—oh,” Chanyeol stopped on his tracks when he saw Sehun and Jinri talking. He closed the studio’s door and asked, “Am I disturbing something?”

   Sehun just looked at him and gave him a small smile, “Nah, I was just telling her about.. how weird Jongin-ah was acting yesterday.”

   Chanyeol chuckled, “Right? His aura is intimidating,”

   Jinri shook her head. “Well, we’ll get going now, Sehun-ah.” She smiled at him, “Thank you.” She sincerely added.

   Please take care, Jinri-ssi..”

   “Always.”

   Chanyeol firmly placed a hand on Sehun’s shoulder, “See you, bro.”

   Sehun nodded, “Take care of her and please don’t let her tire herself.”

   The tallest grinned. “Will do.”

   And with that, they left.

   Imo, mianhae.

   Little did Sehun know that Jongin was wondering why he was talking to Jinri.

▢ ▢ 

“Daebak!” Jinri smiled brightly as she looked around while she and Chanyeol walked in the streets of Garosugil, Gangnam. The taller decided to bring her there because he found as they were riding the bus, pondering on where the two should go, that Jinri hasn’t been there.

   “There are a lot of shops and restaurants here.” Chanyeol grinned, amused by Jinri’s behavior. “Do you wanna eat in a Japanese restaurant?”

   Jinri clapped her hands and said in reflex, “I love Japanese!” Even though she hasn’t tried any of their cuisines yet. “I mean—their food sounds delicious and all.”

   Chanyeol chuckled, “Well, are you hungry?”

   “Mm-hmm,” Jinri nodded. “But if you’re not hungry yet, it’s fine. We can walk around first!”

   “Silly,” Chanyeol ruffled her hair. “After all the practice we did, who wouldn’t be hungry, right?” And Jinri laughed.

   When they found a Japanese restaurant nearby and found the prices pretty much reasonable, Chanyeol and Jinri did not hesitate to go inside. After setting themselves down, the menus were given to them.

   “Order anything you want,” said Chanyeol. “My treat.”

   “But that wouldn’t be fair.” Jinri looked up at him and pouted, “I owed you this day, remember? So I should be the one to pay.”

   “Yah, between us, who’s the guy?” Chanyeol playfully glared at her and they laughed.

   “Just because you’re a guy doesn’t mean you have to pay for the girls all the time.”

   “I don’t.” Chanyeol nodded, “You’re just an exception.”

   Jinri giggled. “Cheese.” She said, “So can you recommend me some Japanese food?”

   Chanyeol eagerly nodded, “Sure! I think you’re gonna like some onigiri but I don’t think that would be enough to feed your hunger. There’s sushi—”

   “I’ll take that.” Jinri grinned.

   “—Yakisoba, and if you want rice, you can go with teriyaki or omu rice.” Chanyeol enumerated as he scanned through the menu. “The miso soup is nice too.”

   “Can I take all of the food you mentioned?”

   “I doubt you’d be able to finish them all though,” Chanyeol puffed his cheeks in wonder. “Japanese servings are pretty big, you know? Though I can help you eat them all if you really want to try.”

   “Sure!” Jinri giggled, “It’s fun to share food with friends anyway.”

   “Good,” Chanyeol grinned. “Because I was honestly just going to order one food.”

   Jinri blinked. “Wae?”

   “You know tonkatsu? It’s my favorite,”

▢ ▢ ▢

Jinri got to know a lot of things about Chanyeol as they ate lunch that day and he was comfortable to be with. The boy was really lively and talkative and he grins all the time. When he laughs, he claps his hands and he has a small dimple on his left cheek. He also loved to tell jokes and cheesy lines.

   “Jinri-ya, can you touch me?”

   Jinri blinked. “Wae?”

   “So I can tell my friends I’ve been touched by an angel.” Chanyeol grinned and the girl laughed. He looked into her eyes. “Do you have a map?”

   “. . . Wae?”

   “Because I keep getting lost in your eyes.”

   “Aish, Chanyeol!”

   Chanyeol chuckled, “Hey, did the sun come out or did you just smile at me?”

   Yaaah!” Jinri covered her face because she couldn’t help but blush at his corny cheesy lines.

   “Alright, alright. I’ll tell you some jokes.” Chanyeol grinned, telling her to stop eating first to avoid bad things from happening. “What do you call a pig that does karate?”

   “Mwo?”

   “A pork chop.” The boy laughed.

   “Ugh!” Jinri facepalmed.

   “Jinri, what do you call a bear with no teeth?”

   “What?”

   “A gummy bear!” Chanyeol guffawed and the girl resisted the urge to bang her head on the table. “Last one, why did the skeleton go to the party alone?”

   “Why?”

   “Because he had no body to go with him!”

   The two were laughing so hard that some of the customers started glaring and shushing them. They sank back on their seats but the smiles on their faces never disappeared.

   “So aside from dancing—and telling cheesy lines and corny jokes—, where else are you great at, Chanyeol-ah?” Jinri asked after calming themselves down. She took a sushi and ate it.

   Chanyeol flushed a bit as he brought a hand on his nape. “Well, being great is an overstatement.”

   Jinri’s mouth opened in a small ‘o’. “Are you kidding me?” She gasped, “Chanyeol, you are a great dancer! Everyone in your group is.”

   “I’m not as great as Yixing.” The boy lightly chuckled. “Or Jongin. I’m honestly his self-proclaimed fanboy. He’s a beast in dancing.”

   “Yah, don’t compare.” Jinri pouted and twisted some Yakisoba on her fork. “But a self-proclaimed fanboy, huh? Does he know?”

   “Yeah,” Chanyeol grinned. “Of course. I always let him know,”

   Jinri smiled, her eyes turning into crescents. “So? Hobbies? Talents? Anything?”

   “I can play both electric and acoustic guitar and the drums.” Chanyeol took a bite off his tonkatsu.

   “That’s cool!” Jinri exclaimed, clapping her hands.

   “I can do beatboxing and I can rap.” Chanyeol continued, proudly stating.

   “You should show me some time! Wow, you’re so talented.”

   “Not really,” Chanyeol laughed as he didn’t fail to notice the sparkles in Jinri’s eyes.

   “Can you sing?”

   “Err, yeah? A bit, I think..” Chanyeol nodded and whispered, “But nobody knows.”

   “Pfft,” Jinri grinned. “I guess I’m a nobody then.”

   Chanyeol grinned back, “I like that.”

   The two continued to talk as they roamed around Garosugil and visited shops here and there.

   “So how about you, Jinri-ya?” Chanyeol looked down at the girl who was enjoying her pocky sticks that were bought out from the Japanese restaurant earlier.

   “How about me what?” Jinri looked up at him, a pocky stick stuck in between her lips.

   “Your hobbies? Talents? Anything?” Chanyeol grinned, repeating her questions earlier.

   Jinri chuckled and took the pocky stick out after taking a bite. “Hm. Well, nothing much.. I love cooking and baking though.”

   “Figured,” said Chanyeol. “The cake you gave us before was amazing, I honestly craved for more.”

   “Is that an indirect way of telling me to make one for you again?” Jinri grinned up at him and Chanyeol laughed.

   “Never really thought about it but yeah, could be.”

   Jinri chuckled, “Alright then. In exchange of you showing me your beatboxing, rapping, and singing?”

   “That’s a deal.” The boy grinned. “What else?”

   “Well, unlike you, I don’t have much interesting talents.”

   “You yourself are interesting enough though.”

   Jinri nudged Chanyeol on the side. “Cheeseyeol,” and they both laughed.

   “Can you sing?”

   Jinri smiled, nodding. “Mm-hmm.”

   “You better show me too then.”

   “Sure.” The girl chuckled.

   The taller spotted a hat store and they went inside to check it out. His smile reached from ear to ear as he looked at the displays, taking a cap in the process. “I love these.”

   Jinri laughed, “I can see that.”

   They tried out several hats, even the character ones, and laughed, obviously enjoying what they were doing. Later on, they were shooed away by the sales lady because they’ve been at the shop long enough but weren’t even planning to buy.

   “They were expensive,” Chanyeol pouted as they re walking around after buying a cone of mocha ice cream. “I would have bought one if I had enough money though.”

   “Yah, that just made me feel bad.” Jinri nudged him by the shoulder.

   “Wae?” Chanyeol looked at her, blinking.

   “Because I ordered a lot of food earlier.” It was Jinri’s turn to pout.

   Chanyeol laughed, “Hey, it wasn’t your fault.” He assured. “I ate too and I’d rather spend money on food, you know? I can always buy the hat next time.”

   Jinri chuckled and they resumed walking around. Upon finishing her ice cream, she started to slow down and feel drained. Her heart started pounding hard. No, she thought in horror. She looked at Chanyeol who was still walking and talking, not noticing her behind. A hand flew on her chest and clutched on her shirt. No, why now? Not now, please.. Jinri fell on her knees.

   “Chanyeol..” She croaked. The pain on her chest was excruciating, it was unbearable. Why is this happening? She had rested enough, hadn’t she? Why now? Why not later at home? Jinri gasped for air and shut her eyes. Calm down, calm down! But she was panicking and it wasn’t helping. The hand on the ground that was supporting her weight fisted.

   “Jinri-ya?” Chanyeol stopped on his tracks when he realized that no one has been answering him. He turned around and when he saw Jinri on the ground, he ran on her aid, dropping his ice cream.