day fifty ; 1/2

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

“Knock knock!” Jongdae smirked as he knocked his knuckles twice on the table of the six boys who were busy munching on their lunch in a boring Monday noon.

   The six looked up at him and Jongin greeted him with an “Are you lost, Kim Jongdae?” because the addressed was always with the other five.

   “Nah,” Jongdae just shook his head, the smirk never leaving his face. “Actually, I just came to borrow Byun Baekhyunnie here.” He placed an arm around the said boy, “There’s something I have to discuss with him.”

   Baekhyun blinked rapidly, “M-Me?” He asked, pointing at himself.

   “No, him.” Jongdae pointed to some random guy inside the cafeteria and rolled his eyes, “Are there any other Baekhyuns here? None. Let’s go; it won’t be for too long.” He took the boy’s wrist and pulled him off his chair.

   Baekhyun looked at his friends and when his eyes landed on Chanyeol, he saw how big they were; he can almost see the wonder in them, asking where Jongdae was taking him. “I-I’ll be right back.” He stuttered as Jongdae kept pulling him away.

   The two found a vacant table near the back of the cafeteria and sat in front of each other, Baekhyun waiting for Jongdae to start.

   Jongdae looked around to see if anyone were interested in their conversation and upon seeing as everyone’s minding their business, he figured they get down to it too. “So,” he started.

   Baekhyun blinked at him.

   “I know you’re really curious as to where Chanyeol’s been going with Sehun.” Jongdae stated, “Am I right or am I right?” He raised an eyebrow.

   “Well, yeah? I guess. But we’re not really sure if they’re going anywhere or what. Who knows? Maybe, they’re just going home together or something.”

   “You know, I’m really bored nowadays and I’m looking for some adventure.” Jongdae leaned forward, his arms folded on the table. “How about we follow them later, huh? So we’ll know what they really are up to or if they’re really just going home together.”

   “Why?”

   “Nothing,” Jongdae shrugged and leaned back. “Just up for some adventure, like I said, but I’m not forcing you or anything, really. No pressure; I just thought someone would be on the same curious boat I’m in.”

   “Everyone’s been curious..” Baekhyun muttered.

   “But not as curious as you, am I right? He’s your best friend, after all.” Jongdae raised an eyebrow. “Hit me up if you change your mind.” He knocked his knuckles on the table twice again and stood. “Have a nice lunch, Baekhyun-ah.” He saluted with two fingers and walked away.

   Baekhyun watched Jongdae’s retreating back. Following Chanyeol everywhere? That’s a really bad idea, isn’t it? Why would he follow his own best friend if it’s none of his business anyway? I mean—if it is my business, he would have told me too, right? I’m his best friend.. Baekhyun’s eyebrows furrowed and he bit his lower lip. He then stood and called Jongdae’s name.

   The latter stopped on his tracks and smirked, not facing Baekhyun.

   “I’ll see you later then,” said Baekhyun.

   Jongdae looked over his shoulder and said, “I’ll wait for you outside your classroom at dismissal.” And with that, he left.

   Baekhyun stayed on where he stood for awhile and went back to their table.

   All eyes were on him, waiting for an explanation or anything but he remained quiet. He didn’t even know what he should tell them or what excuse he should say. He was scared Chanyeol might get mad if he found out he and Jongdae planned on following him and Sehun but Baekhyun was just really curious and Jongdae just happened to light up the urge to satisfy that growing curiosity.

   But curiosity always kills the cat, doesn’t it?

   “What was that about, Baekhyun-ah?” Kyungsoo’s soft voice broke his trance.

   “Ah, it’s nothing.” Baekhyun forced a smiled. “Jongdae just.. asked me if I could go with him somewhere later.”

   “Odd,” Sehun commented.

   “I know.” Baekhyun chuckled nervously.

   “Just like how you and Chanyeol-hyung are,” said Jongin and the tallest just suddenly got paranoid, asking himself if Jongin saw him last Saturday in the hospital, making the blood on his face drain.

   Joonmyeon noticed how Chanyeol suddenly got uncomfortable and so he asked, “Chanyeol-ah, gwenchana? You look pale. He was about to touch his forehead but the tallest gently pushed his hand away with a smile. “Hey, don’t think too much about what Jongin said.” 

   “I’m good, hyung. It’s fine.” He answered, “I just.. suddenly felt dizzy is all.”

   “Do you have to go to the clinic?” Kyungsoo asked worriedly.

   “Aniyo, aniyo.” Chanyeol quickly shook his head. “I’m fine, really.”

   “Hn,” Jongin just brought his attention back to playing the straw of his iced tea.

▢ ▢ ▢

“Let’s go, hyung.” said Sehun as he slung his bag over his shoulder.

   Baekhyun fidgeted as he watched the youngest wait for his best friend. They could just be going home together, right? Where else are they supposed to go? He chewed on his lower lip just as the two made their way outside the classroom after bidding their friends goodbye.

   Minutes later, Jongdae came, leaning on the door frame with a smirk visible on his face. He was actually just waiting for the two boys to leave. “Come on, Baekhyun.” He cocked his head to the side, indicating the addressed to move it.

   With shaky hands, Baekhyun gathered his belongings. He just wished what they were about to do wasn’t illegal.

   The mom of the group didn’t fail to notice Baekhyun’s discomfort though. “Are you alright?” Kyungsoo asked.

   “Y-Yeah, I’ll just be on my way now.” Baekhyun smiled at them.

   Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo nodded whereas Jongin just stared at him.

   “Take care,” Joonmyeon smiled.

   “Deh,” Baekhyun nodded. He was about to go when Jongin stopped him on his tracks with the words:

   “He’s not making you do something you don’t wanna do, is he?”

   I actually don’t even know, myself. Baekhyun looked back at him with a smile and shook his head. “Aniyo.. Annyeong!” Then he left with Jongdae.

   “Aish, so slow. We couldn’t afford to lose them, you know?”

   “Remind me why are we doing this again?” Baekhyun sighed as they walked out of the campus. They turned to the bus stop just in time as Sehun and Chanyeol got in the bus.

   “Get the bus’ plate number. I’ll hail a cab,” Jongdae ordered and in a matter of minutes, they were already inside the vehicle, following the bus where Chanyeol and Sehun are.

   “You haven’t answered me, Jongdae-ya,” said Baekhyun.

   “Weren’t you curious?” The troll turned to look at him.

   “. . . Yeah? But not to the point of actually following them wherever.” Baekhyun shrugged, “It’s really none of my business.”

   “But weren’t you just curious?” Jongdae repeated his question with more emphasis.

   “Aish!” Baekhyun messed his hair. “Whatever. So as long as they don’t catch us or we don’t get in trouble then let’s do as you please—”

   “—we please.” Jongdae corrected, “And plus, who knows? They might be meeting girls behind our backs—behind your back.”

   “This should better be good, Kim Jongdae.” Baekhyun just added, ignoring his correction and statement.

▢ ▢ 

The two looked up at the tall building where the bus dropped Sehun and Chanyeol off with mouths hanging open and more questions forming in their minds.

   “The hospital?” Jongdae asked the obvious and looked at the other, “They’ve been going to the hospital?”

   “I-I don’t know..?” Baekhyun answered in a questioning voice. “M-Maybe it was only for today or something..?”

   “Well, nonetheless, who’s sick? Why would they go here?” Jongdae asked as the two made their way inside.

   “Maybe a check-up? Or something..?” Baekhyun gulped. “But they wouldn’t keep something important like this a secret from us—they shouldn’t!”

   “Or maybe that’s the thing,” Jongdae debunked which made Baekhyun look at him in confusion. “Maybe it’s so important—so serious—that they wouldn’t let anyone know.”

   Baekhyun’s heart suddenly pounded, “J-Jongdae-ya, I-I don’t think I can do this..”

   “Man up!” Jongdae pushed Baekhyun forward. “We’re already here; you can’t back out now.”

   “. . . Just do what you want, I’ll.. I’ll follow.” Baekhyun chewed on his lower lip, not liking where this was going—not even one bit. What if he finds out something that he would regret finding out? Hospitals always whisper bad news; what if Sehun was sick? Or worse, his very own best friend, Park Chanyeol? Baekhyun didn’t think he can handle that.

   “Hey,” Jongdae’s voice woke him up from his trance. They were already at the information table and his troll of a companion was talking to a nurse there. “Have you seen two tall guys around here? One of them is blonde—”

   “Ah, Sehun-ssi and Chanyeol-ssi, am I right?” The nurse smiled.

   Baekhyun felt himself gasp for air. The nurse knew their names so that means they’ve really been coming here frequently! I think I’m going to hyperventilate.. He thought to himself.

   “Deh,” Jongdae flashed one of his charming smiles and narrowed his eyes on the nurse’s name plate. “Sooyoung-ssi,” he read and looked back up at her. “We’re their friends and we couldn’t keep up with them because as you can see, we’re quite smaller than them.” He chuckled at his lame joke but made the nurse giggle, “So I was wondering, would you mind telling us which floor they’ve gone to?”

   “Sixth floor,” Nurse Sooyoung smiled. “They just got in the elevator when you arrived.”

   “I see, thank you.” Jongdae bowed. “How do you know them, if you don’t mind me asking?”

   Baekhyun grabbed Jongdae’s arm, indicating for him to stop sticking his nose up to peoples business but the boy paid no heed.

   “Oh, I see them here everyday.” Sooyoung answered, “Sehun-ssi’s been going here since last year.”

   So it’s Sehun. It’s Sehun who’s sick? No wonder Chanyeol’s always with him; he must have been taking care of the maknae! Baekhyun started to feel guilty as he over-analyzed everything. How could he have been so selfish as to—

   “Is your friend okay?” Sooyoung peeked at the other who looked really pale.

   No, I’m not okay! Baekhyun screamed in his mind.

   “Yeah, he’s just overwhelmed with a lot of things.” Jongdae smiled, “Thank you so much. We’ll manage from here.”

   Sooyoung nodded and smiled back, “Alright then, you’re welcome.” She looked at Baekhyun. “Honey, drink some water.”

   Baekhyun just nodded at her then went on their way.

   “That was so uncool,” Jongdae commented as they stepped inside the elevator. He pressed the sixth button and added, “What’s wrong with you?”

   “I feel nauseous.” Baekhyun answered, leaning his back on the elevator’s wall.

   “What, you’re pregnant now?”

   “This is not a time to joke around, Kim Jongdae!”

   “Relax—”

   “How can I relax?” Baekhyun shook, “How can you tell me to relax? How are you not bothered with all these—we’re in a freaking hospital!”

   “Baekhyun, calm down—”

   “I can’t!” Baekhyun raked a hand on his hair. “I’m scared!”

   “Hey, I’m sorry..”

   The elevator dinged open, indicating that they have finally reached their destination.

   With shaking legs, Baekhyun stepped out with Jongdae helping him and he thanked God a drinking fountain greeted him. He went there immediately and drank before splashing some water on his face.

   “Are you alright?” Jongdae rubbed his back, his cocky side already gone.

   “Whatever we’re going to find out, I swear I’m going to cry.” Baekhyun chewed on his lower lip.

   “We can leav—”

   “I’ll manage.” The boy interrupted, nodding firmly. “I’ll try to manage. Besides, we’re here already. I have to know what’s going on—I have the right to know! We’re friends, how can they.. how can they keep this from us, I..”

   “Alright, alright.” Jongdae nodded, putting both his hands on Baekhyun’s shoulders. “Take a deep breath,”

   The other did so.

   “Release.”

   Baekhyun exhaled.

   “Better?”

   The boy nodded once.

   “Alright, let’s go.”

   They followed the direction to the patients’ ward and carefully looked at each names on the doors for a familiar one. They were quietly reading the names until Jongdae froze on his spot, not expecting to see that name among the doors. Heck, he didn’t even expect that person to be here!

   Baekhyun accidentally bumped into his back. “Ow, wha—”

   “Byun Baekhyun, I think we found it.” Jongdae breathed.

   Baekhyun read the hanging flowery plate and felt himself pale once again after realizing who owns that room.

   Choi Jinri.

   And what broke the silence is the sound of several items falling and breaking, making echoes against the walls.

   The two looked at where it came from and there they saw Jung Soojung staring back at them with her eyes wide and groceries spilled on the floor. She was in her uniform and, just like them, it seemed like she just came from school.

   “W-What are you guys doing here?”

   “Soojung-ah?!” The door of Jinri’s room opened and someone who they thought first was Jongin went out and froze at the sight of the two boys. He then came to Soojung’s aid, asking her if she was alright, saying words like “I heard some glass breaking so I rushed.. Are you hurt?” and all that.

   Next came Chanyeol and Sehun to see what the commotion was all about but when they saw the familiar faces of their friends, the two paled, their eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. What Jongdae and Baekhyun were doing in front of Jinri’s room, how they got there, or how they knew, nobody knows.


AUTHOR’S NOTE: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BBY SSULS! ♡ MAHAHA – Anyway. So I remember one of you guys commented that Jongin was going to follow Chanyeol and Sehun. Apparently, it was Jongdae and Baekhyun. XD So when I read the comment, I was like . . . Oooooh, almost theeeeere! ((= Sorry for giving you guys a heart attack. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! ♡ Do hit the box below and comment. ^ ^

   olympicmayhem ; Seriously, sistuh. What’s with you and the way you type? (((=
   Chiboe ; You seriously don’t even wanna know. ;) Kidding.