day eighty-eight.

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

Jinri’s health has improved a lot the past week; it was almost as if she was never even sick. Because of that, she was finally going to be discharged. Everyone was happy to receive the news and they were happy for Jinri as well. Soon, they will be able to see her back to school again.

   The girl smiled at the photos on the wall of her hospital room. Just like Suji, Jinri spent more than a year in the hospital but she was lucky enough to survive and live. She lifted a hand up, touching Suji’s photo with her fingertips. “Suji-ya, I’m finally leaving this place. Isn’t it great?” She giggled to herself. “I can’t wait to breathe the fresh outdoor air.” She smiled then started taking the photos off the wall, carefully placing them inside a small box. She also took her uniform and folded it neatly before putting it inside her backpack. When the wall is finally clean, Jinri chuckled. It’s gonna need some repainting, alright, because the photos and her uniform have already left their mark on the wall.

   “Knock knock,”

   Jinri turned to the open door and saw her brother on casual clothes. She smiled. When was the last time she saw him wearing clothes that were not lab coats? She couldn’t remember. “Hey, oppa.”

   “Hey, you ready?” Minho asked with his eyebrows raised and his eyes wide.

   “Mm-hmm! Ready when you are,” Jinri answered before taking her backpack and slinging the strap over her shoulder. She then took the box in her hands and jogged her way towards Minho who had taken a leave for that day so he can spend it with Jinri. It was only ten in the morning and Jongin and their friends are in school so that gave Minho a chance.

   “Let’s go?” He asked.

   Jinri took a look around her hospital room for one last time, the place that had become her second home. She then looked up at Minho and grinned, nodding. “Yep!”

▢ ▢ ▢

Getting inside Minho’s car, Jinri couldn’t stop grinning. It has been a long time since she last rode her brother’s car. When was the last time? Middle school? “Oooh! I missed this car!” She exclaimed just as Minho settled himself on the driver’s seat.

   “Why do you sound so excited?” Minho laughed, transferring Jinri’s stuff at the backseat before buckling his seatbelt.

   Jinri buckled her seatbelt as well then Minho started the engine and drove away from the hospital’s parking lot. “It’s been a long time since I last rode your car, okay? Just let me be.” She huffed.

   “Alright, brat.” Minho just shook his head, keeping his eyes on the road. “Where do you want to go first? I’m taking you out on a date so I’m not bringing you home yet.”

   “Oooh, who are you and what have you done with Minho-oppa?” Jinri side-eyed him.

   “Yah, this rascal.” Minho squinted at her before bringing his gaze back ahead of him.

   Jinri just giggled. “Let’s go to the Columbarium first.”

   “Are you visiting Dad and Suji?”

   “Yeah,” Jinri nodded. “And I found out from Hayoung that Yongha-ssi’s urn is also there so I also want to see him.”

   “You met Hayoung?” Minho asked.

   “Yep, she visited me one time.” Jinri answered. “She said she wanted to meet the one who got her brother’s heart so yeah.”

   “I see.”

   “She and Sehun seem pretty close,” Jinri said.

   “I guess it’s because they were childhood friends.”

   “But Hayoung likes him,” Jinri tilted her head to the side. “She introduced herself to me as Sehun’s future wife.”

   That made Minho laugh. “Oh wow, she’s quite possessive.”

   “Sure is! It’s like telling me not to touch Sehun or else.” Jinri laughed as well. “But I like her, she’s nice.”

   Minho just nodded with a smile. He was happy, so happy that he got to talk with Jinri like this. Like the way it was before.

▢ ▢ ▢

When they arrived at the Columbarium, Jinri greeted her dad first, letting him see how she’s recovered. She smiled, placing some flowers in front of the urn before placing her palm over the glass.

   “Thank you for always watching over me, Appa.” Jinri whispered.

   “Dad,” Minho let out a proud grin, placing an arm over his younger sister’s shoulders. “I did it. After all these years studying medicine, everything paid off. Jinri made it.”

   Jinri nodded. “Yeah. Minho-oppa never gave up on me even when I was being cold to him. He stayed and watched over me just like you did.” She said, “And I never got to thank him for that.” She looked up at her brother with a smile. “Thank you, oppa, and for also saving my life twice. I’m sorry for blaming you about Suji.”

   “Don’t mention it,” Minho placed a hand over Jinri’s head, lightly ruffling her hair. “We’re okay now and that’s what matters.”

   Jinri just giggled and went to Suji’s niche next, placing the flowers in front of her urn. “Hey, Suji-ya. I miss you a lot. I hope you’re doing fine up there. My stay here has been prolonged so just wait for me a little longer, okay?” She grinned.

   “Jinri-ya, I found him.” Minho said, calling for her.

   Jinri walked to where Minho stood and saw the urn with the name “Oh Yongha” written on it. She placed her last bouquet of flowers in his niche, seeing a photo of him smiling, then she bowed a bit. “Hello, Oh Yongha-ssi.” She greeted. “My name is Choi Jinri and I’m the one who received your heart. I met your younger sister and she had told me you’re here. I just want to say thank you so much for donating your heart, you don’t know how happy I was when I heard that our hearts matched and God, I’d hug you really tight if you were here.” She giggled and sniffed, wiping her tears even before they fell. She stepped back, kneeled down on the tiled floor, placed her palms flat over it, and bowed until her forehead reached the floor.

   “Jinri..” Minho whispered.

   “I owe my life to a lot of people and you’re one of them, Oh Yongha-ssi. Thank you, thank you so much.”

▢ ▢ ▢

After the Columbarium, Minho brought Jinri to a restaurant so they can eat for lunch. He made sure Jinri kept her healthy diet since she just got discharged from the hospital. It made Jinri whine because she couldn’t eat whatever she wanted but she just gave it up since it was for her own good anyway. She swore that when she’s a hundred percent okay, she’ll eat a lot until her stomach bulged.

   Jinri thought they were going home after eating but Minho had another place in mind. It was a long drive but the sight of Jinri’s bright smile upon seeing the beach before her made everything worth it.

   “You’re kidding!” Jinri exclaimed, unbuckling her seatbelt.

   “Well, we’re really here so I guess I’m not.” Minho laughed.

   The girl stepped out of the car and ran towards the shore, the big smile not leaving her lips. Minho followed suit, smiling as well. Jinri’s smile sure was contagious. Later on, he noticed Jinri running towards him and tackling him in a hug.

   “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Jinri squealed and her older brother just chuckled.

   “Breathe the fresh, outdoor air all you want, Jinri.” Minho grinned as he hugged her back, overhearing her earlier when they were still at the hospital.

   “Yah!” Jinri just laughed and pulled away, looking at the sea. She heaved a deep breath, filling her lungs with the air smelling like the ocean, before releasing it. “Ah, it feels so great to be out again.”

   “You’ve been a brave girl, Jinri, and I’m so proud of you.” Minho smiled.

   Jinri quickly turned her head to look at Minho and for a second there, she thought she saw a glimpse of her dad in him.

   “What’s wrong?” Minho blinked at the way she looked at him.

   Jinri just smiled and shook her head. Those were the exact words her dad had said when she dreamt of him and Suji. “Nothing, I’m just really happy.” She answered. “Thank you for bringing me here, oppa.”

   “You’re welcome, Jinri.”

▢ ▢ ▢

They reached home before dinner time and Mrs. Choi had just finished cooking for dinner. When she heard Minho’s car pull over in front of their house, she immediately went to the front porch to greet her two children. She knew they were spending time with each other and she couldn’t be any happier to know that tonight, they’re going to be eating dinner together at home.

   “Umma!” Jinri smiled brightly and gave her mom a big, warm hug.

   Mrs. Choi hugged her back. “My baby Jinri, you’re home!”

   “I sure am!” Jinri giggled.

   “Hey, what about me?” Minho pouted playfully and it made their mom giggle. She brought him in her arms as well.

   “Look at my baby boy sulking and getting jealous,” Mrs. Choi cooed.

   “Okay, Mom. That’s too much.” Minho just patted her on the back before squeezing the two girls in his arms.

   When the three pulled away, they stepped inside the house and Jinri breathed in.

   “Ah, the fresh air of home.” She said, giggling. “And umma’s cooking too! What’s for dinner?”

   “Beef stew and mushroom soup, love.” Mrs. Choi answered as they all went in the dining room.

   Jinri helped set up the table and soon enough, the three gathered around the round table.

   “I’ve always been waiting for this night to happen,” Mrs. Choi smiled, looking at both Jinri and Minho. “I’m so happy that we’re eating together in our own home right now.”

   “Me too, Umma.” Jinri and Minho chorused and they chuckled.

   “Let’s dig in and tell me what you two did today.” Mrs. Choi giggled.

   “Deh~ Thank you for the food!”

▢ ▢ ▢

After helping with the dishes, Jinri immediately went to her room, put her backpack and the small box down on her table, and dived in her bed. She hugged her pillow tight and sighed happily. She’s back, she’s really home. She still couldn’t believe it, she had been smiling the whole day, and she can feel it..

   That everything is indeed going to be alright.

   Mrs. Choi knocked on her door and peeked inside to make sure that Jinri really was there on her bed and that she wasn’t dreaming.

   Jinri looked at her mom and smiled, “Good night, Umma.”

   Mrs. Choi went inside her room and tucked her in, kissing her forehead after. “Good night, Jinri. Sweet dreams.”

   Not soon after, Jinri fell asleep with a smile on her face.


AUTHOR’S NOTE: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! If anyone’s still reading this, haha! I think most of my subscribers are already inactive but oh well! To all my subscribers, old and new, hello and have a great day!