day fifty-four ; 1/2

Bucketlist: Live, Laugh, Love

Hwang-ssaem wanted to scream in horror when he saw three of his boys having visible bruises on their faces: Jongin on the jaw and his knuckles bandaged, Chanyeol on the jaw as well, and Sehun on the left corner of his lip and right cheekbone.

   “What in the name of heavens happened to the three of you?!”

   Baekhyun looked at the three worriedly but thankfully, Chanyeol had it covered.

   “Mianhae, ssaem!” He grinned.

   Jongin looked at him incredulously whereas Sehun prepared himself for another of Chanyeol’s creative excuses.

   “You see, Kkamjong went ahead of us yesterday. Sehun and I left after. While we were on our way, we saw Kkamjong-ah being cornered by some thugs, I don’t know. We just.. Yeah, helped him like what friends should do. Thankfully, we weren’t beaten up for the worse. I brought a taser, you see, just in case. And they all scurried away,” Chanyeol nodded, proud of his explanation.

   “You’re kidding.” Jongin muttered to himself while Sehun bit his lower lip to stop himself from laughing but he winced on the pain though.

   “Aish!” Hwang-ssaem messed his hair. “Of all days you have to be the rascals that you are, it had to be the day before the performance!”

   “Don’t worry, ssaem.” Jongdae chuckled. “Some make up would do the trick.”

▢ ▢ ▢

“Please welcome: EXO!”

   The twelve boys walked their way on the stage, bowing their heads here and there after being introduced by Hwang-ssaem with the name they have settled in for the whole group. The crowd grew louder, special thanks to the girls squealing and screaming “I love you’s” everywhere. Thankfully, they were the first to perform and they’re done after that.

   Not really.

   Jongin, Sehun, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Jongdae together with Soojung and f(x), Taemin, Minho (who was quite surprised to know that Jongin’s friends with Jinri and the rest—much more surprised when Taemin blurted out he’s Jinri’s boyfriend), and Mrs. Choi had planned something with the help of clueless Hwang-ssaem and the rest of EXO to make White Day a special day—and maybe, one of the most unforgettable day—for Jinri with the approval of the hospital. They prayed for it to be successful because planning “”—as Jongdae have described it—like this wasn’t very easy especially overnight.

   Feeling sorry for the girls’ vocal chords, nine members of EXO started to dance gracefully on a song entitled “Angel” then later on rocked the whole auditorium with “Growl” together with the other three members: Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Jongdae. Hwang-ssaem felt so proud of his boys to see them so synchronized from the front row where he sat. Showcasing their talent on a White Day was the best strategy thus far. He’ll be able to prove the school just how great his boys are.

   Soojung, who was seated a few rows behind, fished her phone out from her skirt’s pocket and started to tap on Mrs. Choi’s number. After a few rings, she answered and Soojung started the plan. “Imo, they’re already performing. You may call now,”

   After hanging up, Soojung watched as Hwang-ssaem patted his pants. Soon, he pulled out his phone and answered a call (Mrs. Choi got the instructor’s number from Jongdae). The girl did a low fist pump before whispering to Qian if the roses were ready to be delivered and distributed later on. The Chinese beauty nodded her head with a smile.

   If it were possible for fire to start ablaze from one’s throat, fifty-five percent of the school’s population—which is consisted of girls, by the way—would have been burning by now. It’s also funny how there were faint but audible coughs and chokes emitting from around after EXO’s performance. Kyungsoo had to stop the urge to take the microphone and broadcast, “Please drink warm water.”

   Hwang-ssaem gathered his boys around to congratulate them for a job well done then he added, “I received a phone call.”

   “That sounded scary.” Zitao commented.

   The five masterminds exchanged knowing glances, Jongin and Jongdae smirking in the process.

   “The phone call came from Seoul Hospital. They found out about the showcase we’re holding today and invited us on the spot to go there and perform for the patients who are not able to celebrate the day with their loved ones.” Hwang-ssaem informed, “It’s going to be a great opportunity especially those who wanted to major in dance. It’s exposure and we can’t say no. Apparently, everything’s already set up for us. All we have to do is just perform.”

   “How did they know about the showcase?” Yifan asked.

   Hwang-ssaem just shrugged, “Surprisingly, we were recommended.”

   “Why don’t we just go and get it over with?” Jongdae suggested, shrugging a shoulder nonchalantly and acting oblivious about it.

▢ ▢ 

Upon reaching the hospital, Hwang-ssaem and EXO headed to the quadrangle where their stage was already set up and some chairs were already occupied by patients capable of roaming around the vicinity with their nurses or companions.

   Jongin and the others involved with the plan spotted Mrs. Choi talking to a nurse they recalled as Nurse Yoona who had the pink and white roses in her arms. When Mrs. Choi noticed a group of guys dominating the place, she bowed at the nurse and smiled at their direction. She then approached their instructor, her contagious smile never faltering.

   “Hi,” Mrs. Choi greeted with a bow. “You must be Hwang-songsaengnim, if I’m not mistaken?”

   “Whoa, yeppeo.” Some of the EXO members complimented when they saw the lady in front.

   “She looks familiar though. Where have I seen her?” Minseok asked himself while Luhan nodded.

   “A-Ah, deh.” Hwang-ssaem bowed as well, shaking the hand already stretched out for him. The two youngest didn’t fail to notice how their instructor’s face reddened upon seeing Mrs. Choi and they stopped the urge to kick his behind.

   “I’m the one who contacted you earlier.” Mrs. Choi smiled, “I have a child attending Seoul National High School and was informed of the showcase. I hope you don’t mind the sudden invitation? Let alone here in the hospital,”

   Hwang-ssaem cleared his throat and shook his head. “No. No, not at all,” he smiled and his students suddenly felt disgusted. He was totally flirting!

   Jongin pinched the bridge of his nose and Jongdae had to stop himself from laughing because of what’s happening. Sehun whispered an “I cannot watch this.” while Chanyeol facepalmed and Baekhyun shook his head. They would have thought of a plan B if they knew this would happen.

   “It’s quite an honor, really.” Hwang-ssaem continued, “Especially for my boys here. They really work hard with their practice.”

   Several scoffs and rolling eyes were done behind Hwang-ssaem. Please, most of the time, he doesn’t do anything but call them ungrateful rascals.

   “Thank you so much,” Mrs. Choi bowed. “This is going to mean a lot to me and of course to the whole of the hospital. Please start whenever you’re ready. In the meantime, we’ll try our best to gather more patients.” She bowed once again and after another beautiful smile, left the instructor’s sight.

   “No wonder she looked familiar, she has a child studying in our school. I must have seen her around.” Minseok nodded to himself.

   “You’re whacked.” Yifan informed Hwang-ssaem.

   “That’s adultery,” Joonmyeon added as he shook his head, the two appointed leaders teaming up to tease the flushed instructor. “Didn’t you hear her? She has a child also studying in the school where you teach. She’s married and you were obviously flirting.”

   Hwang-ssaem turned to glare at the two whilst his face reddening more. “You rascals! I wasn’t doing anything inappropriate!”

▢ ▢ 

Soojung groaned at her seat as she and the other three friends sulked on their own while staring at the test papers in front of them. Yeah, they helped with today’s plans but too bad they weren’t part of Hwang-ssaem’s class so they still had afternoon classes.

   Honestly, they would have ditched the damned class if it weren’t for the tests that were scheduled unfortunately that day, seeming as though it was purposely also planned just to torture them. They hated and cursed on the afternoon classes teachers because they wont be able to see how successful their plans could turn out and the priceless expression of Jinri’s face after finding out that everything was actually planned for her.

   Fortunately, Taemin was there at the hospital to accompany Jinri and continue with the plan since he was free at the time.

   “Today’s White Day,” Jinri started while watching a movie in the television set on the corner of the ceiling. “Do you have any plans for Soojung-ah?”

   Taemin averted his gaze from the movie to look at Jinri. “Of course,” he grinned. “But just like Valentine’s Day, I have to execute my evil plans tomorrow.”

   Yaaaaah,” Jinri laughed. “What evil plans do you mean?”

   “I’m planning to take her on a floating restaurant.” Taemin nodded, “But keep that a secret until tomorrow, okay?”

   “Eung!” Jinri grinned then asked. “What’s a floating restaurant?”

   “Wha—” Taemin incredulously looked at the girl; he couldn’t believe that Jinri didn’t know what that is but he guessed it was understandable because she was always locked either at home or the confines of the hospital due to her condition thus not being able to explore much about the world. “Seriously?”

   “What?”

   “A floating restaurant is a restaurant on a boat,” Taemin answered anyway, smiling. “Then you’ll take a small cruise around on sea.”

   Whoaaa,” Jinri grinned widely. “That is so cool! Psh, you really love Soojung that much, no?”

   Taemin chuckled and nodded, “I know she’s not a materialistic person but I’d like to make her happy.”

   Suddenly, a ringing phone ruined the moment. Knowing as Minho hadn’t given Jinri’s phone back to her, the ringing was obviously coming from Taemin’s. The boy excused himself and went out of the room to answer the call; it was coming from Mrs. Choi.

   “Imo,”

   Taemin-ah, the boys are here and they’re getting ready.

   Taemin nodded, “Alright, Imo. Thanks. I’ll help Jinri down in a minute,” And after hanging up, he went inside the room again and saw Jinri studying now, the television already turned off, and reviewing the notes Sehun had provided her. He felt somehow bad because Jinri’s discharge was moved on a later date due to what happened last night. Unfortunately, with all the unnecessary emotions Jinri was feeling—knowing that she’s the kind of girl who suppresses negative emotions inside and would just force herself to bring a bright smile out of her face just to tell everyone she’s fine—, her condition worsened. They needed to find a heart donor fast.

   “Baby girl,” Taemin grinned at her.

   Jinri looked up and blinked, “Hm?”

   “There’s a surprise waiting for you downstairs.” Taemin said as he took the folded wheelchair that rested by the sofa and prepared it.

   “Eh?” Jinri furrowed her eyebrows.

   Taemin helped her up and Jinri obliged. The boy took the IV bag off its hook and placed it on the one provided on the wheelchair.

   “Where are we going?” Jinri asked as she sat on the wheelchair. She could have walked but Doctor Jeon had insisted for her not to tire herself.

   Taemin started to push the wheelchair out of the room and led her to the elevator, not answering her question. They went inside and he pressed the ground button. Jinri, on the other hand, was quietly thinking, raking her brains as to what possible “surprise” could there be but there’s none to think of. When the elevator dinged open, Taemin pushed Jinri outside.

   “Am I getting discharged now or something?” Jinri joked, “I thought the doctor wanted to imprison me for the rest of my life already.”

   “It was just moved, Jinri.” Taemin smiled, “and since you can’t go out to watch something, we brought it to you instead.”

   Jinri blinked and looked at the familiar way going to the quadrangle. Watch something? What was it? But before the girl could think of anything, music started to play on the quadrangle’s direction. Jinri was going to ask what was going on but when she turned to look at Taemin, his attention was on his phone, sending a message to someone, judging by his thumb tapping the keypad.

   Taemin placed his phone back in his jacket’s pocket just in time when they reached the glass door. Jinri could see some patients and nurses seated on rows of chairs, facing—watching—something but she couldn’t see what it was because from her point of view, they were facing right.

   Taemin pushed the door open and pushed her wheelchair next. The music was louder but pleasing to the ears—wait, what?

   Jinri’s eyes furrowed as she remembered the song. It was one of the songs Jongin and the others practice in dance class.

   Neoye sesangeuro~

   When they turned right, Jinri widened her eyes to see the familiar faces of Jongin and his friends dancing on a built-in stage.


AUTHOR’S NOTE: I missed you guys so much! ; w ; ♡ Anyway, here’s an update to lighten up the mood because things are going to get quite heavy on the next chapter. Thank you for all the comments and also, I’ll just let you guys know that the second bullet won so please look forward to that chapter!

● I wanted to put a Chanli tag on this fic but I reached the limit so asdfghjkl. As an apology, I made a long one-shot featuring Chanyeol and Jinri for the Chanli shippers out there! I hope you drop by and read it. ^ ^ Click.

● I’m having a writer’s block so help me out here? /smacked. Any ideas I can add for Kailli, Sesul, and Chanli moments? Mehe. ; ; OTL.

● Thank you so much, Blackheartprincess, for giving this fanfic a chance! I am honored!

● I’ve reached more than 2OO subscribers already, I’m very happy. ; w ; /rolls on mud. Thank you guys so much! Love love!