I REMEMBER YOU

DAZED AND CONFUSED

After a couple of hours and several times wrestling the clothes into 4 different cars, we finally arrived to the apartment where they were living. The manager didn’t even bother ringing the bell and just proceeded to open the door by himself.   I was thankful that I changed my door code right when he left that day. When we came in, only Daesung and Seungri was out in the living room watching tv.  I was not so sure where the others were at, but then Daesung and Seungri answered my question.


“Hi Hyung!  We were waiting forever for you guys!” Seungri was pretty annoyed.
“Yeah…TOP hyung is sleeping, Taeyang hyung is in his room playing video games, and Jiyong hyung left.”  Daesung said.
“We’re sorry, Myung over did herself and brought a lot of clothes to the fitting today.  We had to get five cars for all of it to fit.”


I don’t think I over did myself.  I was just doing my job and that was to make them look good.


Then the manager called the people to bring up the clothes.  After that, he proceeded to wake up TOP and bring Taeyang outside to the living room.
While he was busy with the hyungs, I was putting the clothes on racks and organizing them by pieces.  Jackets on the left, pants on the right.  
Jenny was being a doll and helping me do all of this, but the room was incredibly silent other than the clanging of metal when we hung the clothes.  It was obvious that Daesung and Seungri were not comfortable with me yet.


After I was done organizing everything, I went over to Daesung first.
“I was planning on waiting after everyone was present, but would it be okay if I try some things on you first?”
“Oh…yes.”  Daesung said shyly.
I grabbed one of the jackets that I thought would look perfect on Daesung and helped him put it on.  He got pretty stiff when I was helping him with the jacket, which made me realize that I was making him pretty uncomfortable.
I brought out the large mirror for him to see, and he liked it.
I thought that this jacket would be perfect for him to wear because he had a pretty good build.  It would emphasize the shoulders and arms.
“Do you like it?  Or do you want to go for more of a casual feel?”  I asked.
“Uh….I don’t really know.  Whatever looks the best on me?”  Daesung said.
“Hm….I think you should try on the asymmetrical cardigan with the green scarf.”  I went to the racks and put on the clothes.  What do you think Jenny?”
Clearly Jenny was oogling him more so than she should.  
“I think it’s really great!”  She was not being helpful at all.  She was looking at him, not the clothes.
“The green scarf was added to brighten up the concept a little, but not add too much color.  And I added the cardigan because its casual, but the asymmetrical cut gives it a modern feel.”
I paused and examined the clothes on Daesung.  I grabbed a pair of oxford shoes that I thought would go perfect with the outfit and told Daesung to put them on.
Daesung went to the mirror and had a skeptical look on his face.
“I don’t know if I can pull this off.  I feel like I’m a girl.”  He looked at me for a little bit, clearly uncomfortable, and shrugged.
“Confidence is key to fashion.  If you feel uncomfortable, don’t wear it.  It will only make people make fun of you.”
After I said that, Daesung quickly took off the clothes.  
“I have an idea.  How about you choose what you want to wear?”  I suggested.
“Me?  I don’t think I have fashion sense...besides, the stylists that we have had before never did this.  They never told me that I could choose.”
“Well…I’m telling you now that you can.  I’ll only stop you if it comes out horribly.”  I gave an encouraging smile.  
I sat down the sofa and waited for Daesung to pick something out.   He was skeptical at first, but after I gave him a couple of minutes he walked towards me with a simple jacket and jeans.
“Okay….you want to wear this?”
“I know I can’t.  But this is what I am comfortable in.” Daesung said gloomingly.
I laughed. “Of course you can.  You have better style than I thought.”
“But isn’t it too simple?”
“No.  Sometimes minimalism is the best.  The jacket that you chose might seem plain, but it is actually couture.  The seaming and work that has been put on that piece is ageless.  And the jeans has a very nice feel and shape to them, so it would look very good on you.”  I smiled reassuringly.
Daesung blushed a little and squeaked out a little “thank you”.
After an hour later, Daesung had a concept of simplicity, but it looked good on him.  Daesung was not as uncomfortable as he was before, and that made me feel good.  He even accepted this Myung as he had with Amelie.

Taeyang, Top, and Seungri came to the living room then while I was putting away the clothes that Daesung liked.
I turned towards them and said a hello and they said a formal hello back (except Seungri).
“Wow.  There is a lot here!”  Top exclaimed.
“I guess I kind of got carried away.”  I said
“No…this is good.  We would only get 5 pieces for a fitting, and it would normally end badly because we wouldn’t like it or we would fight over the clothes.  I don’t think we would fight with this much.”  Top said reassuringly.

All three boys proceeded to look around and pick out what they liked.  After a few dislikes, discussions, and compromises, we finally picked out some clothes that would be proper for the three boys.
Top was to go with a manly feel with suit jackets and structured pieces.
Taeyang was to go with a nightlife vibe with leather jackets and jewelry.
Seungri was to go with both.

The only person that still needed fitting was Jiyong.

But he never came.

When it was around 8, the manager ordered jjajangmyun for all of us and we all ate in the living room.  It was silent at first, but because the boys became more comfortable with me after the fitting, they broke the silence with a question.
“So where are you from?  Are you from here?”  Top asked.
“No.  I am from New York.”
I lied.  I didn’t want them to know that I was Amelie.  I was starting a new life.  I didn’t want to go back to the past.
“We heard that you worked for a fashion magazine.  Which one?”
“Oh….I work in Couture magazine.”
I lied again.
“Oh.”
Then Seungri finally spoke up.  
“You remind us a lot of this girl we knew when we vacationed in California.”
I literally almost spat out the food that was in my mouth.
“Oh really?  How so?”  I asked out of politeness
“She looks like you, only not as scrawny, and she works at a magazine too.”
“Oh.  That is interesting.”
It wasn’t.  I was hoping the subject would change.
“She was so nice though.  She cooked for us one day and it was the best meal ever.  I miss her.” Seungri sighed.
Poor boy.  I wanted to go over and give him a warm hug, but then that would blow my cover.
“Seungri.  Stop talking about Amelie.” Taeyang said.  “You know that it’s a sensitive subject in the house.  Jiyong doesn’t like talking about her remember?”
So he forgot about me.  He didn’t want to even talk about me.
But then again….I was trying to do that too.
“Was she Jiyong’s girlfriend?”
I couldn’t help but ask.
“No. Jiyong told us that she wasn’t.”
“Oh.”
I guess he didn’t think of me that way after all.


We cleaned up after we finished eating and Jiyong never came back.
We waited for another hour until it was 10pm, but Jiyong never picked up his phone.
The manager was clearly angry and started to yell.
“WHERE DID HE SAY HE WAS GOING? DOESN’T HE KNOW THAT THERE WAS A FITTING TODAY?”
Seungri answered, “I don’t know.  He just said that he was going to leave for a little bit, but he didn’t say where.  I didn’t know that he would be taking this long.”
The manager just yelled some more, threw a few stuff and went out to get some air.
I didn’t really know what to do, so I cleaned up and started to put the clothes away.

After a few minutes however, the door opened.

And he was there.

“Hyung! Where were you?  Myung is waiting for you!” Seungri said.
“I was out.” Jiyong said coldly and went to his room and shut the door.
Top cursed under his breath and went over to see what was up with Jiyong.
“Jiyong.  Open the door.  Let me in.”
Top went in shortly after that and after a few minutes Jiyong came back out.
I decided to break the silence.
“If you don’t want to do the fitting today, we can always arrange another time.”  I said hopefully.
“No.  Let’s just get it over with.” Jiyong’s voice was colder than ice.
“Okay.”  
That was the only thing that came out of my mouth.  I’ve never experienced Jiyong this cold before.

We didn’t talk at all and it was just him choosing certain pieces and me agreeing to everything.
I wanted to leave as soon as possible.  Being with him was hard enough, him being cold was even harder to bear.

So…in the end, I do not know what happened to Jiyong.  I do not know where he was and why it took him so long to come back.  The others told me that Jiyong never misses anything business related and that this was his first time he has done so.

Does he know that it is me, Amelie?  Is this why he was avoiding me?  Is this why he does not even talk to me or even look at me?

No.  He probably doesn’t remember.  If he does, why would he be mad or cold?  We ended on a pretty good note.  He didn’t love me.  Why would he be more hurt than I was?
Questions were running through my head even after I left.  They were still there even when I tried to sleep.

I didn’t sleep at all that night.