COMPLETELY LOST

DAZED AND CONFUSED

He really did pick me up around 7.  Actually…it was more like exactly 7.  He prompted to compliment what I was wearing, and I was beginning to think that I should have worn something else.

I wore a simple black frock and lace tights with bright red lipstick, but maybe I should have worn a big frumpy jacket.

He took me to this very nice restaurant.  It was dimply lighted and he just walked right past the hostess.  Oddly, the hostess did not seem to mind.  
But then I figured it was because he probably came here many times.
It was true.  He did come here frequently.  The CEO owned this restaurant.
He led me upstairs to a private room.  He opened the door for me, and as I walked in, I saw a pretty simple man waiting for me.  He was seated already and had the food already ordered.  There were other people, but I knew by the way he held himself that he was probably my new boss.
“Ah…Myung.  Nice to meet you.  I am Yang HyunSuk, CEO of YG Entertainment.”
He stood up then and shook my hand.
It was a nice firm handshake.  Nothing like the erted stalker manager.
“Hello Mr. Yang.  It is an honor to meet you.  Thank you for giving me this opportunity.”
“I should be thanking you.  We never expected our stylist to be Char’s personal assistant at Vision Magazine.  Our last stylist did not have any formal education.  Please have a seat.”
He gestured for me to sit down.
“Please…eat.  Enjoy the food first, we will talk about business later.”
“Thank you.”
I sat down across from Mr. Yang and I started to eat.  It was a modern high-ended American meal, but it tasted different.  But then I remembered that I was in Korea, and nothing would taste like America.  Surprisingly, it was very delicious.
After the waitresses cleaned up our area, Mr. Yang started to speak.
“So Char has told me a lot about you, and I am very pleased.”
“Thank you.”  He is pretty intimidating.  I didn’t want to be on his bad side.
“You will start working 3 days later from today, and for the next 3 days, you would have a personal assistant that would help you settle in.  We know that despite you being Korean, you have never lived here, so I hired an assistant for you.”
He then called in a girl.  She was small and petite.  She looked like she was 16.
“Myung…this is Jenny.  She will be your assistant from now on.  Jenny please introduce yourself.”
“Hello.  My name is Jenny.  It would be a pleasure to work for you.  Please ask if you ever need of my assistance.”
“Oh.  Hello Jenny.  Thank you. “

After a little small talk, Mr. Yang said that he has another engagement that he needs to go to.  He suggested that Jenny should take me home, even when the scary Hyungman encouraged that he should take me home personally.
I agreed to Jenny taking me home.  Even if I could probably snap her in two.
While we were walking, I started to ask Jenny some questions.
“So Jenny…how old are you?  If you don’t mind me asking.”
Jenny just smiled, “I’m 19.  I’m going to be 20 soon!”
“Oh…I thought you were much younger than that.”
“I get that a lot.  It’s because I’m pretty short, but it’s ok.”
“So…how did you get this job?”
“Well…I couldn’t get an internship at a fashion magazine, so I thought being an assistant to a stylist would be helpful.”
“Oh...I see.  But I have to tell you…I am not that experienced myself.  I’m only 3 years older than you.  And my only experience is working at a magazine.”
“I would die to be in your position.  I would love to be you. You’re so pretty.”
“I don’t know about that.”
“But you are!  You’re tall, big-eyed, pale-faced, and skinny.  You are a model except prettier and smarter.”

If I forgot to tell you, you know how before…I was a little on the healthier side and people made it a daily ritual to make fun of my physical appearance?  Well, after my weight loss, no one made fun of me again.  In fact, I started to get more compliments than insults.
But that didn’t mean I was used to people saying that they wanted to be like me or saying that I am “pretty”.

Then we walked silently and then I started to ask more questions.
“So…what are we doing tomorrow?”
“It is up to you, I thought of showing you the place where we get clothing samples to use on the men and our fitting room.”
“Oh…that would be great!  And would it be possible if you show me around for a little bit?”
“Sure!  And you don’t have to worry about the cost.  Mr. Yang has handled everything for you.”
“Good.  Okay then.  Do you have a place around here?”
“Well…not really….I can’t afford living around this area, I have to take a bus more south of here.”
“Oh…”
“I live with a roommate.”
“If you don’t mind, I have an apartment to myself…and I have an extra room.  You can have that if you want.”
“But…”
“Don’t worry about the fees, it is all taken care of.  All you need to be is a good assistant.”
“Thank you so much Myung!  I won’t let you down!”
Then we both went into my apartment.
I was beginning to like Korea.