The Beginning

What Was Thought to Never Be

      

Eun Hye placed the photo back down on the kitchen counter and instinctively reached for her phone and called Top.

One Ring Later, "Eun Hye?"

"Can you come over?"

"When?" 

"Like right now."

"Ok. I just have to get dressed and I’ll be there."

Twenty minutes later the doorbell rang.

Eun Hye lood at the video monitor and was surprised at how fast Top arrived.  Eun Hye opened the door to see Top holding a shopping bag and flowers.

"Thanks for the flowers.  I can’t believe you got here so fast." Eun Hye stated as she tried to peer into the shopping bag. "What's in there?"

"A surprise."

"Tell me. Tell me." Eun Hye pleaded.

"Be patient."  Top walked past Eun Hye down the hallway towards the kitchen. "I like your apartment."

"Thanks."

Passing the artwork on her walls, Top asked, "Did you draw these yourself?"

Eun Hye answered, "Some of them."

Top found the kitchen and put down the shopping bag on the kitchen counter.  Eun hye grabbed the flowers to put them in a vase as Top began to pull out the goods. Top pulled out wine, ingredients for spaghetti, and ice cream. Then, he spotted the photo on the countertop.  He picked up the photo, and asked, "Is this us?"

"Yeah, that's why...."

Top interrupted, “At the movies?"

"Yes, that's why I called you to come over."

"I thought you missed me and wanted to talk in person?"

Eun Hye sighed, "Sorry."

"It's okay. I did not think I would make it inside this soon." 

"Yah, stop it pabo. This is serious."

"How did you get this?"

"Someone slipped it under my door. I found it when I came home."

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I honestly was really worried at first. But, then I thought that it was probably just someone who wants money.  If it was a fan or the paparazzi, the photo would already be plastered all over the internet. I mean they could be saving it to cover up some political scandal, but I don't really believe in those conspiracy theories."

"That's true." 

"I am almost positive that whoever slipped this under my door will send me a follow-up note asking me to send them money in return for their silence."

"So you are not worried anymore?"

"Not really, I just want to this to be over."

"How are you going to resolve this?"

"First, it's how are we going to resolve this.  I believe you are in this photo too.  You are the one with the infamous studded hat that you could not stop wearing in front of the cameras. At least I was wearing a hoodie."

"My hoodie, which I also wore to the airport last week," Top grinned. "By the way, I really like the fruity scent that you wear. Come closer. Are you wearing it right now?"

Rolling her eyes, Eun Hye began to run through her plan, "We have to set up a surveillance camera outside of my apartment so that we can get a photo of the person who delivered this letter if he or she comes back, a security team to monitor my video feed, and hire a private investigator. I estimated that it is going to cost approximately 10,000,000 won." Then, Eun Hye stopped speaking and looked at Top waiting for confirmation.

"I guess we could do that." Top was surprised at her tenacity and fearlessness; he had not yet come into contact with this Eun Hye. But, fearing for her safety, he blurted out, "Or, you could just move in with me?"

In a split second, Eun Hye's face turned from appreciation to contempt. Top was also unsettled by the words that had just left his mouth.

Getting the message, Top said, "Of course, I was joking. Let's just go with your plan."

"Great. You are still going to cook for me right?"

 "Yeah."

"Let me get you an apron." Eun Hye walked over to a drawer and pulled out an apron. She then stood in front of him and placed the apron over his head. Afterwards, she signaled for him to spin around. She reached around him to get the strings hanging in front. When she gathered them, she announced, "I don't think this is tight enough." So she crossed the strings behind him and brought them back to the front. Unable to see from behind him, Eun Hye took a few seconds smoothing down the front of his apron. Then, she began to tie the apron at the front of his waist from behind him.  After she was done, Eun Hye rested her head on his back, sighed, and said to herself, They're there.

Top interjected himself in Eun Hye's moment of zen with a subtle cough, "Are you sure you just invited me over to talk about this photo?"

Eun Hye teased, "Of course, I am going to go watch the news on the press conference. Let me know when dinner is ready."

After looking around the kitchen for a few minutes Top realizes that he doesn't know where anything is and yells, "Yeh?"

Eun Hye, "Yes, Seung Hyun."

"I don't know where anything is."

"Hold on a sec, I am watching the Lie to Me segment"

While Top waited he picked up the picture again. Top shook his head and placed the photo back in the envelope. As he was placing the photo back in the envelope he noticed that there was something written on the back of the photo. The back of the photo had the words "DON'T BETRAY ME" scribbled across the back.  Upon review of the scribbled words, Top felt a sharp pain in his chest and felt the sweat beginning to accumulate on his brows.  After Top subdued himself, he regained control and put the photo back in the envelope. Next, he put the envelope back in the shopping bag, which he had moved by the door. 

After putting the photo in the shopping bag, Top walked into the living room and sat next to Eun Hye on her sofa.  She looked at him with a puppy face and said, "Sorry. I was coming, but the Lie to Me segment is still on."

He looked at the t.v. and then looked at Eun Hye, "You look amazing."

Eun Hye responds without looking at Top, "Thanks Seung Hyun, you're so sweet."

Top then puts his arm out behind Eun Hye and Eun Hye without hesitation scoots towards Top.

"So you did miss me then?"

"A little."

"I missed you."

Eun Hye finally turned her attention away from the screen. "Really?"

"You can't kiss me like that and then disappear."

Eun Hye let out a fake laugh.

"Don’t disappear on me."

"Ok, ok."

Eun Hye turned her attention to the t.v. and started to feel uncomfortable in Top's now familiar arms as she began thinking about herShould I just ask him and get it out of the way. I assumed that he had some sort of relationship with that girl from his party. But, maybe I was wrong. Now, that he is here I definitely feel like I made a mistake.

Top interrupted Eun Hye's train of thought, "Should we just order something?  I suddenly feel really tired."

"Yeah, let's do that." Eun Hye decided that she didn't want to bring the issue up anymore. She enjoyed the easiness of their perfect little world, even if it might turn out to be a house of cards.  Eun Hye grabbed her phone to order from her favorite sushi place. 

As Eun Hye grabbed her phone and ordered for the both of them, Top could not take his eyes off of Eun Hye.  In that moment, Top wished that it could be like this forever.  However, the reality was that Eun Hye was never in a public relationship and never wanted to be. A rumor was fine, but he understood that she was not the type of girl that would ever go public.  She would never become comfortable with the title "Top's girl."  She was her own woman and did not want to be bombarded with questions about her relationships. 

Top thought, Maybe it could be different if she was sure about our relationship, but how am I supposed to expect that when even I am unsure. I don’t even know how she genuinely feels.  At one point, she even thought I was gay.  She could just be looking for some fun, because she's bored.  What type of person kisses someone outside of their house and in front of other people and then cuts off all contact for weeks? It just doesn't make any sense. Then, when she finally called me back it's because she thinks that someone is trying to blackmail her.  I don't feel like being used, especially like this.

 She's really cute and funny though. And she is y, how can you be cute and y. That's probably why she has a stalker. And, now I am caught up in this stalker mess. Should I tell her that her blackmailer is a stalker? No one should have to deal with a stalker just to date someone one.

Eun Hye hung up the phone, "They said that they were running behind today. So it’s going to be about an hour and a half.  Is that okay?"

"It's already 9:00." But, then he remembered Eun Hye's stalker. "But, that's fine. I can wait, I don’t have a schedule tomorrow."  

As the stress began to eat at Top, he finally released Eun Hye from his arms. Distraught, Top walked across the room towards the wall of windows over looking the city in an attempt to achieve some clarity. When that did not work out, he went to the kitchen to open a bottle of wine.  Top was exhausted from all of the possible bad outcomes running through his mind. He sat on the kitchen stool and proceeded to drink alone.

Fifteen minutes later Eun Hye entered the kitchen and asked, "You're not going to share?"

"I was on my way back, I just was having trouble finding the glasses."

"I am sure that’s the reason you already made it halfway through the bottle without me."

It was Top's turn to respond with a fake laugh.  He picked up the two wine glasses and the bottle of wine and returned to the living room.  Eun Hye followed close behind.  Top put the glasses and the wine bottle down. And when Eun Hye sat back down on the couch, he swiveled her legs on the couch forcing her to lay back. Then he climbed between her legs and laid the back of his head on her chest and placed her arms on his chest. "Isn't it a lot easier now for you to feel me up... At least, I am getting more out of it this time."

Eun Hye remained silent, however Top could feel her trying to hold in the giggle. Top grabbed the remote to turn up the volume when another news segment for Lie to Me came on. It was the part of the press conference where Eun Hye said that Kang Ji Hwan was handsome. 

Unknowingly, Top said under his breath, "I am not sure if I like Ji Hwan hyung."

"Are you jealous?"

"Yes."

"Good. You know he has abs of steal too."

Top then put his hands over Eun Hye's hands on his chest and said, "I am always glad when someone other than me has a chance to truly appreciate this body."

Eun Hye did not respond, but Top could feel her body trying to hold back the laughter underneath him. They continued to watch t.v. in a comfortable silence.

By the time the sushi delivery person arrived and rang the doorbell, Eun Hye was fast asleep. Top found a hoodie in the front closet and put on his sunglasses and a mask to disguise himself.  When he looked at her video monitor by the door, no one was outside. He opened the door, and again, there no one was there. Instead, there was a plastic bag with a stapled paper bag inside sitting to the right of the door. Top was hungry, so he brought the plastic bag inside and opened the stapled paper bag of food immediately.

He started placing some food on a dish for himself. He decided to not wake Eun Hye because he knew that she had a long schedule the next day. After preparing his plate, he put the brown paper bag in the refrigerator.  Then he walked over to the trash to throw the plastic bag out. As he threw the bag in the trash, a piece of paper fell on to the ground.  

He picked up the paper and read it as he had done before, only this time it said, "I know you’re there." 

Top whispered a swear and said, “What am I supposed to do now?” 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Recommendation: If you guys have not started reading 2:21 by @ani9019, you should. It is a great story and has Yoon Eun Hye in. It starts off slow, but subscribe and stick with it and you will be in for a treat. Plus the added bonus is that she updates often. Enjoy!