Brunch

What Was Thought to Never Be

T.O.P

 

Eun Hye followed TOP and his mom into the dining area where she sat down next to TOP at the table.

 

Top’s Mom said, “Eun Hye it is so good to see you guys together. I knew that this push pull relationship and those little tiffs meant something more”

 

Top chimed in, “Mom, you never told me this?”

 

Top’s Mom replied, “If I told you, it would have never happened.”

 

Top looked puzzled and turned to look at Eun Hye. Eun Hye sat silently in her chair with her head tilted downward.

 

Top said, “Eun Hye?”

 

Eun Hye was too busy deciphering her feelings to respond. Reacting to Eun Hye’s lack of interest, Top picked up his phone, called Ban Seok, and put him on speaker.

 

Top said, “Ban Seok, your sister is mute. I think that you may need to come and get her…”

 

Eun Hye glared at Top and said, “I’m fine, but come pick me up as soon as possible.”

 

Top’s Mom queried, “Are you leaving, because of me? I am sorry if what I said made you feel uncomfortable.”

 

Eun Hye finally felt assured enough to address the table and said, “No, no. Mianae.  I am just really confused right now. I don’t want to disappoint you. It’s just that Top and I are not together. I thought he was gay. That is why you found me in bed with him. If I had known, then I would have never been in that position.”

 

As Top’s Mom became tight-lipped, Top spoke up, “Eun Hye is having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that she is attracted to me. Subconsciously, Eun Hye knew that I wasn’t gay this whole time. She thinks that I am not old or mature enough to date her.” After another long pause, Top began, “It’s weird, because I definitely have been more mature than her for the past few weeks.”

 

With that Eun Hye smacked Top on the back of the head. Top looked at Eun Hye. After realizing that Eun Hye was not going to be stared down, he turned to his mom with pleading eyes.

 

Eun Hye then huffed, “See what I mean, you’re immature.”

 

Top stated, “You just smacked me in the back of the head and you are calling me immature?”

 

“You knew that I thought you were gay didn’t you?”

 

“Well I knew something was off, because you were being way too forward with me.”

 

“So, you kept the truth hidden from me?”

 

“No, even though I knew one of the reasons why you were being so forward with me could have been because you thought I was gay. I knew that you knew that I wasn’t gay, even though you were pretending as if I was. I mean you’ve known me for a long time, it would be odd if suddenly you thought I was gay.”

 

“So, you’re saying that you knew the truth?”

 

“So, you’re saying that you knew I wasn’t gay?”

 

Top’s Mom interjects, “Well I don’t want to interrupt this lover’s quarrel, so I am going to head home. Eun Hye I hope you will be here for brunch again.”

 

Not entirely comprehending Top’s Mom’s words Eun Hye replied, “It was a great brunch. Hope to see you again also.”

 

Top’s mom walked away smiling and laughing to herself with Top following her. On their way out, Eun Hye overheard Top’s Mom say to Top, “I really like Eun Hye. If you like her for real, then you should stop playing games with her and just tell her.”

 

Eun Hye, knowing that she would be unable to face that confrontation, decides to hide from Top until Ban Seok arrives. She goes downstairs and hides behind the bar. Minutes later, to Eun Hye’s displeasure, she hears Top coming down the stairs. Then, she hears Top plop down onto the couch and turn the t.v. on. Eun Hye peers over the bar to confirm that he is watching The Tower, a film starring her friend Son Ye Jin. She goes back to hiding under the bar, to determine whether she should give up her location, so that she can watch the movie, or sit on the ground until an opportunity arises for her escape. She comes to the conclusion that she is safer from facing her feelings if she stays behind the bar. Although she does compromise, by keeping her head above the bar where she can continue to watch the movie. However, crouching creates a newfound difficulty; it tires her, prevents her from focusing on the movie, and forces her mind to wander.  Like to why Top isn’t looking for her, isn’t worried, and is enjoying a movie.

 

Eun Hye did not have to fret for too long, because what Eun Hye did not know was that Top saw Eun Hye’s reflection in the mirror. Top finally acknowledged Eun Hye’s presence ten minutes into the movie and commanded, “Eun Hye stop hiding behind the bar and watch the movie with me. You know you want to.”

 

Eun Hye silently agreed, because she wanted to watch The Tower and knew that Top would be relatively silent for the next couple of hours. Eun Hye traveled over to the couch and plopped down making herself at home. Then Top pulled Eun Hye closer to him and laid her head on his chest. Eun Hye obliged, because it had all become so familiar.

 

Eun Hye asked, “Where is Ban Seok?”

 

Top answered, “I sent him a text saying that there was no need to rush, because we were watching a movie.”

 

Speechless, but no longer surprised by Top’s ability to mastermind, Eun Hye simply replied, “Oh.”

 

Later, just when Eun Hye began to relax, Top cleared his throat. Eun Hye couldn’t see Top’s face, but she definitely heard him say, “I like you.” Eun Hye’s body became rigid, while her mind was searching for an appropriate response. Minutes passed and she still could not come up with anything to say. After a few more minutes, she realized that the moment had passed and that there was nothing she could say to make up for the fact that she hadn’t said anything before. Instead, Eun Hye, gave the conciliatory prize of nuzzling her head into his chest. Top responded by pulling her closer. All the same, Eun Hye knew that her non-verbal response was not enough; her appeasing body language was not what Top wanted to hear.