Chapter 13

87 Steps to Kim Jongdae

 

 

 

“I like Eunsol too. I’m sorry Hyung. I can’t help you.”

 

 

 

Jongdae’s face crumpled into a disappointed frown as he dejectedly shook his head. How hard was it saying those words to Minseok?

 

It was hard. Really.

 

From just hearing his voice, he could tell that he was asking him something that was so important to him. It seemed as if it’s his life on the line. He was serious and determined. And those were reflected in his eyes. In those rounded eyes.

 

Minseok has been his friend for the longest time. They were the closest out of the six of them. And that was the first ever serious thing he had asked him to do. Minseok was the type of person who would always shy away and just keep his feelings hidden. At some point, he feels somewhat distant since he’s too secretive and all. But he was a good friend of him.

 

And he likes Eunsol. He likes Park Eunsol. It’s Eunsol.

 

There are millions of girls throughout the world. Why did he have to fall in love with Eunsol? Why did it have to be her? He screamed inside his mind as he placed his hand on his forehead. Just thinking about it makes his head ache.

 

 

 

“Are you okay?”

 

 

 

Jongdae turned to his left and saw Eunsol staring at him worriedly. Maybe she figured out that he was having an extra hard time today. And she doesn’t have a clue that it’s all because of her.

 

Jongdae lazily eyed her, observing her every feature. “Why did it have to be you?” he mumbled unconsciously.

 

Her eyebrows lightly creased as she leaned in closer to him to hear him clearly. “What?”

 

Jongdae’s lips twitched to the side as she pushed her forehead using his hand. “Nevermind.” He knew he shouldn’t blame her for being too adorable that both of them liked her. But he couldn’t stop wishing that Minseok didn’t like her. That way he’d be free enough to finally ask her to be his.

 

A few minutes earlier, things were okay. Perfectly okay in fact. But now, it’s all ruined.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The teacher in front kept on talking and talking about the molecules and all but every single word she has said didn’t even made it inside Jongdae’s head. He was too busy. Too preoccupied by this problem which he never saw coming.

 

He never really agreed or actually said ‘yes’ to Minseok. They just assumed that his silence means that he’s going to help Minseok.

 

Should I tell him that I can’t possibly help him to get close to Eunsol? Or should I tell Eunsol that Minseok likes her?

 

If he’s going to tell Eunsol that his friend likes her, she might get too excited and have the slightest bit of affection for Minseok. Just the slightest. Yes. The slightest teensy bit of affection.

 

Of course, he was sure that Eunsol likes him. He’s a hundred percent sure of it. But of course he wouldn’t let her know that Minseok likes her. So he won’t tell Eunsol about it.

 

Well maybe he will. But not now.

 

On the otherhand, if he tells Minseok that he likes Eunsol too, the first person who’d react---overreact as a matter of fact will be Luhan. He’s 100% sure of it that Luhan would intervene. That deer really cares for Minseok after all.

 

And that’s when Kris came to his mind. Since Kris is their leader, he should be able to understand him right? He would. Kris might even take his side and support him.

 

And so, without further ado, Jongdae excused himself from the class and went out to find Kris.

 

 

 

 

 

“I heard that Jongdae hyung will help Minseok hyung with the girl he likes. Is it true?” Tao excitedly asked Kris who was busy drawing some caricatures.

 

He barely nodded. “Hn.”

 

“Then I should start calling Eunsol as Eunsol noona. Right?” Tao asked again eventhough he knew Kris wouldn’t answer him decently since he’s busy with his artworks.

 

Yixing smiled as he bobbed his head up and down. “You should call her ‘Noona’. It’ll be weird if you call her ‘Unnie’” He informed the latter as he beamed innocently.

 

Tao pouted at him. “I know that hyung. For now, we should just cheer on Minseok hyung since he needs courage.”

 

“But what if Jongdae likes Eunsol?” Yixing asked out of the blue, and it resulted in him earning glares and endless negative reaction from the two.

 

 

“Where did that come from?”

“What are you saying hyung?”

“That’s nonsense Yixing.”

“We all know that Jongdae hyung is still broken hearted right?”

“There’s no way he’d open up his heart that fast.”

 

 

Yixing scratched the back of his head as he blinked. “I was just thinking of some possibilities.,” he reasoned out.

 

“Well, that’s not possible. And even if it is, I won’t support him.” Kris said sternly as he erased some pencil marks on his pad. “Minseok deserves to be with Eunsol.” he added.

 

“Minseok hyung has been crushing on that girl for more than two years now. And I’m sure he loves her. Jongdae hyung… they just met this semester right? He can’t possibly be in love with her after the terrible heart break that he’s been through.” Tao mumbled as he played with Kris’s other drawing tools.

 

“I think Jongdae’s already fine now. He already moved on.” Yixing tried to convince his friends.

 

“If he ends up with Eunsol, that’d be because he’s using her to forget his ex. And if Eunsol finds out, she’d be hurt. Right? But if she’s going to be with Minseok, things will be fine. And I think they look good together.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

5 minutes has passed since the bell has rung. And still, Jongdae’s not back yet. Eunsol immediately grabbed his backpack and just decided to wait for him outside the gate, yesterday they decided to stop by the bubble tea shop near the campus. But they weren’t able to since they had to do book reports so they rescheduled it today.

 

But where is he? Eunsol thought as he scanned the students passing by the hallway, trying to find a certain boy.

 

“Do we really have to do this?” Minseok nervously chewed on his bottom lip as he gazed at Luhan.

 

He gave his friend a two thumbs up and his famous eye smile. “Jongdae agreed didn’t he? Besides were just going to talk to our new friend who will be your girlfriend soon.” Luhan as he playfully wriggled his brows.

 

Minseok’s cheeks turned red as his eyes widened. “DON’T SAY THAT!”

 

Luhan just smiled at him. It was really fun teasing this little bun. “Let’s go and talk to her while she’s alone.” he said as he tugged on Xiumin’s arm and pulled him along.

 

“Aren’t we too obvious? We already talked to her earlier. What if she thinks we’re annoying?” the more steps Minseok took towards her, the more his heart races. He was afraid that she’ll think of him as an annoying clingy friend who always talks to her when he can.

 

“She’s not like that. Eunsol is kind. You know that right? And that’s what you liked about her right?” Luhan reassured him as he gently pressed his shoulder. “Come on. A simple greeting wouldn’t hurt. Friends greet each other right? You should greet her then!”

 

“But we’re not yet friends!” Minseok hissed at him.

 

“Then start being friends with her.”

 

Minseok tried to arrange his hair. “Wait. I’m not yet---“

 

“Eunsol-ah!” Luhan exclaimed cheerfully as he waved his left arm to catch her attention. And he did. Eunsol looked their way. And right now, she already approaching them.

 

“Why are you alone?” Luhan casually asked her as if they’re ‘real friends’ And Minseok couldn’t help but curse in his mind about him not being able to do all that.

 

“I’m looking for Jongdae. He left his bag in the classroom.” Eunsol mumbled worriedly. Luhan immediately grabbed the bag from her. “I’ll go look for him!” he volunteered.

 

Xiumin eyed him. What are you trying to do?!

 

But his deer-friend ignored him. “I’ll go find Jongdae. For the mean time, can you and Xiumin wait here?” he asked Eunsol with a big smile.

 

“Huh? Oh. Okay.”

 

And with that, Luhan left. And the two were there, standing in silence. Minseok doesn’t know what to say. And for some reasons, Eunsol still thinks that he doesn’t like her.

 

Two minutes. Five. Ten. Time has passed and still, they’re not talking. That’s when Xiumin received a message from Luhan.

 

Stop wasting the opportunity! Talk to her! You idiot!

 

 

Minseok glared at his phone. That deer must be hiding somewhere and watching them instead of finding Jongdae. But.. what would he tell her? He can’t think of anything funny or fascinating right now. Should he tell her a joke? What if she doesn’t find it funny? What if---

 

“Minseok-ssi.”

 

His heart pounded rapidly beneath his chest. Everyone calls him by his name. But there’s one person who can make it sound so special. And that is her.

 

“Yes?” he asked her as he turned to her.

 

“I just noticed that you’re a little different when you’re talking to me. It’s not like I know you well but, the way you treat me.. is not the same as the way you treat others.” Eunsol mumbled with a small, disappointed pout. “You refuse to talk to me. And to even look at me. And you didn’t also want to shake my hand. And I think I know why you’re like that to me.”

 

Minseok stared at her as he gulped. Does this mean, she already knows that I like her?

 

“Minseok-ssi, do you hate me?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

image

 

don’t hate meeee.  XD