Chapter 2

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

 

She then stood in front of Min Ah’s grave. She then placed the basket of flower she bought on her way to the cemetery.

“I’m sorry, Min Ah. I’m such a useless friend. I wasn’t even there when you need me.” Tears are flowing from her eyes again. She felt so bad thinking she did nothing to make her friend happy even to her last days.

A voice then took her attention.
“She had been waiting for you for so long.”, the voice said.
When she turned around, she saw a figure of a lady on her 50’s standing behind her. She dried her tears and took a closer look of that woman standing. It was Min Ah’s mom.

“Auntie!”, she said. She ran into her and hugged her tightly. She’s saying sorry again and again. The woman embraced her too.

Jang Mi expressed her apology for not being there when Min Ah was sick. She didn’t know anything until her mom called her a few days ago.

“She didn’t want you to worry about her illness because you are graduating on your course.” Min Ah’s mom said. “And she wants you to have this too.”, her mom added while slipping a piece of envelope on her hand.

She looked at the letter. Her name was written on the envelope.
‘To Jang Mi’, it says.

She then left after having the conversation with Min Ah’s mom. She headed towards her parents’ house.
After her dinner with her parents, she then went to her old bedroom. It’s been three years since she’s been away but it seems like nothing changed. Her bed was done the way it’s always been when she was still there. She don’t have any siblings so her mom, who's a nurse, only takes care of her.

She’s eager to read Min Ah ‘s letter. What’s in the letter? Maybe her lasts words for me.
She opened the letter and read it while sitting on her bed. The letter was dated exactly a month ago.

 

Dear Jang Mi,

Chingu! How are you? I’m sorry I had to leave you alone. I’m so sick and has barely a month to live. I wanted to see you before I die. But I just can’t. Even though how I miss you so much, I can’t let you leave your studies there just because of me. I know that as soon as you will know that I am sick, you will come home to see me. And I don’t want that to happen. I hope you understand.

While reading this letter, I might be gone already. I have so much to tell you. There’s so much I wanted to do. But since I knew that I don’t have much time, I decided to write it all down ‘cause I may never have another conversation with you.

Jang Mi, I just have something to ask you. I hope you won’t mind doing this for me.
You know how much I love Donghae, right?

Donghae. Her mind repeated the name. It was the most beautiful name for her for the last 7 years of her life. The name which always give her a happy feeling inside for a second and pain afterwards every time she hears it.

Lee Donghae was their childhood friend. It’s always been Min Ah, her, and Donghae. They met Donghae when they entered middle school. They’ve become close since they were classmates and have similar interests. Donghae was a very sweet friend and so a lot of their classmates liked him. He moved to Seoul to undergo training under SM. He left his family at Mokpo for his dream. He was a good singer and dancer. More than that she never saw him brag his skills or being his trainee. So a lot from her class liked him And she liked him a lot too. She spent a lot of time with him and knew him really well. She even wanted to confess her feelings for him but she can’t since she treasures their friendship a lot. But then one day, during their last year in highschool, just before their class started, she just heard that Donghae and Min Ah was an item already. She didn’t know how it happened but Donghae said it was true. She felt bad after he confirmed it. She didn’t go to her class that day. She went home after directly and spent the whole day crying in her bed.

She continued reading Min Ah’s letter…

You know how much I love Donghae right? But I never gave myself a chance to do the things I wanted to do with him. I became busy after you left because of studies and became sick too. Please Jang Mi, do me a favor. Can you at least do these things with him for me? You just don’t know how much I wanted to spend those things with him. Please Jang Mi…

First, I wanted to spend a day with him at his hometown in Mokpo. I really wanted to go there with him. But you know, it’s not good for my health. Please spend a day with him there.

Second, I wanted to sing for him. He wrote a song and I stole it from his notebook one time I went to his dorm. I want you to sing it for him.

A song? He surely wrote it for Min Ah. Her heart started to feel bad again.

You know I can’t sing well and I don’t know how to read notes so please sing it to him for me?

Lastly, Donghae loves the sea so much. I want you to take him there. But since I was so sick, I hardly go out from the hospital. Please do this for me Jang Mi.

Thanks a lot! I’m so sorry for asking too much. I love Donghae a lot so I’m asking you to do this for me. Thanks Jang Mi. I owe you a lot. Please don’t tell Donghae that I asked you to do this.
You’ll always be my bestfriend whatever happens. Thank you!

Love you always,
Min Ah


She closed her eyes. Can she do this? She avoided seeing Donghae and Min Ah for a long time because she only feels aches everytime she sees them together. But why the hell is Min Ah asking her to do this? She has been thinking about it for the whole night until she fell asleep.

The next morning she just found herself sitting inside her car outside SM Entertainment Building. She’s going to see Donghae.