Chapter 6

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

 

You only got seven days Jang Mi.
That was her goal. To fulfill Min Ah’s wishes within 7 days.
After that she’ll not get herself closer to Donghae again. She may be his friend but for her heart’s sake, she’ll draw a line between them. It won’t be the bestfriend status anymore. She’ll try to find another who’ll be worthy of her love and attention, someone who could give his heart to her.


Maybe I need to give my heart a chance.


“Why are you so late?” Donghae said as he saw Jang Mi walking towards him. He was waiting on the train station for an hour already.
“I dropped by to the new apartment I’m gonna be renting after we came back from this vacation.”
“You’re moving out already?”
“I’m 21, I need to be independent, you know.”
“Ok ok , I got it.” Said Donghae nodding his head.
“Have you bought tickets already?” she asked him.
“Yup! C’mon, the train’s leaving already.” He said as he grabbed her hand and pulled her off towards the train.

She looked at their hands. He’s holding them tightly. It’s as if he’s not letting her go.
If this is just a dream, please don’t wake me up.

They then found their seats inside the train.

“Why did you choose to ride a train? There are planes flying to Mokpo everyday from Seoul.”


Can’t you see? Just sitting with you makes me happy. At least for these last few days. I could make good memories with you.


But instead of answering him with what’s in her head, she answered him differently.


“Look who’s talking. The one who haven’t attended the trips of his class to Jeju Island because of his fear on riding the plane.”
“Yah! I’m already done with that phobia. We already went to Japan, Thailand and Malaysia.”
“Fishes can’t fly oppa.” she said as a joke.
Donghae just smiled. “I really can’t win over you.”


She just smiled.


You just don’t know how loser I am when it comes to you. She said to herself.

She can’t sleep during their trip. Donghae’s head is leaning on her shoulder. He sleeps like a baby. She so tempted to touch his face. But she’s afraid that it’ll wake him up. All she did was to stare outside the train’s glass window hoping that that moment will never end.

After a few hour ride, they finally arrived at Mokpo Train Station.
She then woke up Donghae who was still sleeping. Even though she doesn’t want to, she still has to wake him up. Donghae then woke up and asked if they were already at Mokpo.


“Yeah we are. Move quickly. I need to change my shirt.” she said.
“Why change your shirt?” he asked her.
“You kept drooling on my shirt while you were sleeping. I already got stinky.” Jang Mi joked with a serious facial expression.
Donghae laughed.
“It’s an expensive perfume. Get used to it.” He joked back.
They were both laughing. At least now she’s able to control herself near him. But still there’s a big part of her that makes her heart feel burdened. And she certainly know what it is.

They then went out of the train station.
“Mokpo I’m home!” Donghae said happily.
Jang Mi saw the joy in his eyes. And she’s happy for him too.
They then rode a taxi heading towards Donghae’s home. He can’t stop telling stories as they pass to every significant place he remembers. Jang Mi in the other hand was very attentive to everything he says. She wanted to know every memorable moment for him on those places.

They finally reached Donghae’s home. It was a nicely built medium sized house with a front gate. It was modern styled with a Korean touch.
Donghae asked her to push the door bell as he hid behind the far side of the gate. He wanted to surprise his mom and brother.
A lady went out from the house. And when she opened the gate, she saw Jang Mi waiting.
“Jang Mi?” the woman asked.
“Auntie?” She answered back.
They were so happy that they then hugged each other. The woman kissed her on the cheeks.
That woman was Donghae’s mother. They already met many times before in Seoul during her highschool days with Donghae.
“You look so beautiful! And you’re a lady now!”
“Thanks Auntie! You too, you seemed to be getting younger.”
“I would prefer to believe that.”
They were both laughing.
“I haven’t seen you for years. Donghae said you went abroad?”
“Ye, I went to abroad to study.”
“Wait, why are we talking here? Come inside. I’ll make some food for you.”
They then walked towards the house when Donghae felt that his hiding scheme isn’t working.
“Yah! Umma, aren’t you should be asking her where I am?” Donghae said as he appeared.
“ Oh I know you’re just somewhere outside. So I didn’t bother asking.”
Donghae then went in and hugged her mom.
“Umma, I missed you!” he said.
“I missed you too! Come you both. I’ll cook something for you.”

They then talked a lot during their meal. Donghwa, Donghae’s older brother came home too after knowing Donghae came home.
Donghae and Jang Mi also planned their activities for the next days. Which places they will visit and other more.

Later that night, Donghae’s mom told her where she would sleep.
“Jang Mi, you’re gonna sleep at Donghae’s room ok?”
“What she’s sleeping with me? She snores while asleep. It’s too noisy. I can’t sleep mom.” Donghae said like a little stubborn child.
“Shut up son. Don’t be stupid. You’re sleeping in your brother’s room.” his mom cleared.
She just laughed with Donghae’s joke.
Jang Mi was also a bit worried about the idea of sleeping with Donghae. But she knew it won’t happen. Thanks God.

She then went to Donghae’s room to rest. It was very clean. It looks like his mom has always kept it clean everyday. She saw a lot of photos on frames about the table on that room. Those were childhood pics. There were also some photos with her and Min Ah.. She then was reminded by Min Ah’s wishes again.

Don’t worry friend I’m gonna fulfill your wishes.

She then easily fell asleep as she laid in Donghae’s bed.

Nightfall.

Jang Mi was sleeping soundly on the bed when Donghae came in. He went near her and stared at her face. He softly touched her eyes with his fingers. It went down to the tip of her nose and down to her lips. Jang Mi slowly gained her senses as she felt someone was caressing her face. As she opened her eyes, she saw an image of a man. She then realized it was Donghae with his face very close to hers. She tried to get up but Donghae stopped her. Her heart beats faster. She’s alarmed with the scenario. But then Donghae’s face started to move down to hers.
He’s going to kiss me! What should I do? Oh my God!
All she did was to close her eyes. Letting Donghae do what he wishes to do.
He then kissed her softly on her forehead. Then on the tip of his nose, then down to her lips. She just stopped breathing.
Then she felt his hands holding her shoulders. She also heard a voice calling her name.
Their kiss grew deeper but then the voice kept on calling her.
“Jang Mi, Jang Mi”
She was forced to open her eyes to see who it was. She then saw Donghae staring at her. It’s as if he’s wondering what’s happened.
“You kept chanting my name.” Donghae said.
“Did I? I didn’t!” She claimed.
Was I dreaming? My God! It was just a dream.
And I chanted his name?
Damn!


She then didn’t say a word again. She got up and sat on the side of the bed.
“We’re you dreaming?” he said.
You just kissed me in my dream!
But those words never came out of . She just didn’t know what to say.
“We’re you just dreaming about me?” he asked her directly.