Chapter 11

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

“Min Ah…”


Jang Mi’s eyes are blurring again. Her tears started to fall. Even though how much she tries to understand, she still aches inside.


‘After all these time, it’s always been her.’


Jang Mi tried to dry the tears from her eyes.


‘Why would I cry? I’ve always known that…. You can’t love me.’


She ushered Donghae to the bed. He barely could even walk right. He was so drunk.


‘You said you’ll never drink. Now you’re breaking your promise to your father. All because of her.’


He removed Donghae’s shoes and placed him comfortably on the bed. She moved away from the bed and leaned on the wall. She looked at Donghae sleeping. She smiled bitterly.


‘She’s so lucky. I’d be so happy to take her place. Right at this very moment, just to know that you love me, I’d gladly accept death.’


She let her tears fall.


‘Why do you always make me cry? I’m so tired of crying.’


She dried her tears again. She stood and took a basin and towel to wash Donghae’s face. She smiled with bitterness.


‘After all the pain you’ve given me, I still love you. I still care for you. How stupid.’

 

 

 

 


Jang Mi woke up with the smell of hot chocolate. When she opened her eyes, she saw Donghae b with a smile holding that aromatic hot choco.


“Good Morning!” Donghae greeted her.


She can’t look at him. After what happened the previous night, she doesn’t know what to say. She don’t know if she’ll be ashamed of herself for kissing him back or how would she confront him of kissing her just like that.


She didn’t say a word and went to the bathroom right away. She took a shower and cleared her mind. She doesn’t care anymore. She’ll be honest if he’ll ask her.

“Are you mad at me?” Donghae asked as they walk in the aisle out of the hotel.


“I’m not.” She answered.


“Why are you so silent then?”


“I just don’t feel like talking.”


“If it’s about last night, I’m sorry.”


“It’s so easy for you to say it huh!” She blurted out.


“I was drunk. I didn’t even know how I got into your room. Did I do something wrong last night? I really couldn’t remember.” Donghae said seriously.


Jang Mi was surprised of what he said.


“What? You don’t remember anything?” She paraphrased what he said.


“Sorry, I really don’t. Why? Did I do something wrong?” He asked her again.


“No!” She answered right away.


‘It’s better that you won’t know.’


“I’m sorry about last night. I was just lonely last night so I tried one bottle. Then it became 2 then 3. Until I couldn’t remember anything.” Donghae explained.

“So next time, tell me your problems. Don’t just drink whatever you like. So you’ll not…”

 

‘Kiss me just like that.’


“..So I won’t?”


“So you won’t get drunk and act stupidly.” She continued.

They then headed to Seoul right after. Jang Mi went home directly while Donghae went to his dorm too.

Jang Mi was preoccupied still with what happened the previous night. It was her first kiss. She should be happy since it came form the one she loves. But she can’t just find that good feeling.


‘It’s because you don’t mean every second you touched your lips to mine. Too bad for me. It’s just a product of your loneliness over her death.’

She rested her mind.


‘I’m in Seoul already. Like I promised, I must forget my feelings for you. I’ll love someone else. Someone I could call mine.’

The ring of her cellphone woke her up.


“Yoboseyo?” She answered.
“Jang Mi?” the voice from the other line said.
“Yes, speaking. Who’s this please?”
“It’s Yunho.”
“Yunho?”
“Yes it’s me! Jang Mi, I just got home and I wanna see you.”
“Me too. I wanna see you.”
“I’ll fetch you, let’s dine.”
“Ok, be here in an hour.”


She’d known Yunho for a long time already. Donghae introduced her and Min Ah to him when they were in highschool. They were close too since they often see each other.

Right after an hour Yunho came with his car. He was still handsome as ever.


They went to dine and to catch things up.


Yunho was the only one who visited her in the Philippines for the last 3 years. Donghae never did.

“How are you?” he asked her.
“I’m better.” She answered.
“You look even prettier.” He complimented.
She just smiled.
“How about you? I haven’t seen you for almost a year. How are you?” She asked him.
“I’m just fine. And….”
“And what?”
“And I’m still in love.”
She just kept silent. She knew what he was talking about.
“Jang Mi, I....”
“Yunho please..”
“I know. You love him still right?”
She can’t say a word. Yunho was the only one who knew she had feelings for Donghae.
“I’m still hoping. I still love you Jang Mi. It never changed.” Yunho said sincerely.

Yunho has been showing her special attention since highschool. But she frankly told him that she’s in love with someone else. And that all she could offer is friendship.Yunho was determined to make her change her heart. He kept being close to Jang Mi as a friend. But not until they graduated in highschool that Yunho realized it was Donghae that Jang Mi’s in love with. She asked Yunho that it must be kept as a secret. Yunho too kept it a secret and never told anyone. Yet still, she often went to Jang Mi hoping he’ll make her love him.

“Yunho…”
“I know, don’t answer me now. But I’m still hoping you’ll change your mind.”
“I mean it is fine with me.”
“What do you mean?”
“I’m ready to accept what you’ve been offering me even before.”
“Is that a yes?” Yunho excitedly asked her.
“What I mean is that I’m now giving you a chance. If it’s just fine with you.”
“Really? I mean of course!” She hugged Jang Mi in happiness.
“Thank you Jang Mi. At last, I could show you how I love you.” Yunho said happily.
She smiled too.
‘At least, here’s a man who would love me back. I know exactly how he feels. So I think it’s just right. He’s a good man. I think he’s not that hard to love.’

Jang Mi already prepared to fulfill Min Ah’s last wish. To sing Donghae’s composition. She was studying the piece of paper Min Ah stole form Donghae. It has the lyrics and chords of the song. While she was reading the paper she noticed a note written on the bottom part of the whole song.


‘to where we first met.’


She was puzzled with what she read.
What does he mean?


‘Maybe he wanted it sung on the place where everything began…’
Jang Mi then got the idea.


‘At school? Where we all first met? Maybe that’s what this means.’

Jang Mi then decided to go to their school in highscool. She asked their old principal if she could use the music room. The old lady was happy to see her so it granted her wish.


She then went to the music room. The memories went back. How they enjoyed each song they sing together. She remembered Min Ah having a beautiful voice. Donghae and she always have duets together while she plays the piano. Although jealous seeing Min ah and Donghae always sing together, she still kept it within her.

She tried to play the song Donghae wrote. The words were so perfect. It was something she wanted to sing for him to. If only it was her whom he was talking about in the song.

Her phone rang again. It was Yunho.


‘He’s really serious with me.’ She smiled. She’s happy too that someone like Yunho gives her so much attention.

“Yoboseyo?”
“Jang Mi”
“Oppa, what made you call?”
“I’m at the studio right now, just finished recording. I just missed you, so I called.”
Jang mi was happy hearing him.
“Miss me huh?”
“Really! I missed you. I haven’t seen you today.”
“Ok then, after you’re done there fetch me here in my old high school.”
“What are you doing there?"
"I just miss the place. I’ll wait for you ok?
“Ok! I’ll be there in a flash!”

Not for too long Yunho came. He was smiling seeing her.
‘I can’t believe this man actually loves me. What did he see in me that Donghae didn’t?’
She asked herself.

They then went around Seoul. She hasn’t toured around so much since Donghae and she went to Mokpo right away.

It’s past 9 when Yunho took her home from their going around the city. Yunho opened the door of the car for her as they arrived home. She’s so touched with Yunho’s gentleness. She thanked him.

“Jang Mi, I’m so happy you’ve given me the chance.” Yunho sincerely said.
“I should’ve given you a chance a few years ago.” Jang Mi replied.
Yunho’s looked at her with so much love in his eyes. And Jang Mi saw it.

Yunho then moved his face down trying to get closer to Jang Mi.
Jang Mi knew he was going to kiss her. But she didn’t stop him. She wanted to feel if there’s a spark. Something that Donghae always gave her.

Yunho held her chin and moved his face closer to her.
She closed her eyes too.
But then all she saw in her mind was Donghae.
She tried to ignore it. She’s with Yunho now. Why think of him? She said to herself.
Yunho’s almost kissing her. Only half an inch apart when suddenly someone called Yunho’s name.

“Yunho Hyung!”

Startled with the voice they then immediately parted. She saw Yunho’s disappointment in his eyes.

They then looked around to see who called Yunho. And then they saw, not too far from them, Donghae.

Donghae was walking towards them with a wide smile.
She doesn’t know what to feel.

Did he saw us? I guess he did. Damn!