Chapter 8

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

 

“You love me right?” Donghae asked.

Jang Mi was caught up with his words. She doesn’t know what to say.

She looked at Donghae differently. She reached for his face and jokingly studied it.
“You’re cute…” she said.
“I’m handsome.” He interrupted as he showed a gigolo smile.
“No! You’re just cute.” She said in a serious voice as she continued talking,
“You sing well.”
“You are my everything. Nothing your love will bring. My life is yours alone….”
He immediately sung after hearing a Jang Mi’s words.
“Ok, Ok! You don’t have to sing.” She continued.
“You dance well.”
Donghae then stood up and danced U while singing.
“’Cause I can’t stop thinking ‘bout you girl….”
He then stood up and danced with that pelvic steps.
Jang Mi can’t stop laughing looking at Donghae.
He was like crazy dancing the song.
“Araso!” Jang Mi kept laughing.
“Maybe I love you those reasons.” She said still smiling.
“Really? You love me because of that?” Donghae asked her back. “But what if I’m not cute, I don’t know how to sing and dance?”
Jang Mi answered her in her safest mode.
“I love my friends… so don’t worry..” She smiled again.
Donghae smiled too. He sat down again beside Jang Mi.
Jang Mi then asked him.
“How about you? You love me too?” She asked after they’re done laughing. She just wanted to know.
How could I say those words!

Donghae looked at her seriously.

“Saranghaeyo” he said.

Jang Mi got goosebumps with what he said.
It sounds so real. Her heart was like coming out of her chest.

Donghae then continued talking.
“Especially if you cook for me seaweed soup, do groceries for me and wash my clothes.” Donghae was laughing.

Jang Mi’s thrill about his ‘I love you’ Just went down like that.

“You need a maid… not me! And what? Seaweed soup?”
“Yes seaweed soup. Remember when I got sick on the winter of our last year in highschool? And no one can take care of me? You made me seaweed soup. You also went to the grocery and even washed the clothes for me?” Donghae was still laughing.
“I quite remember that. Yah! You must thank me instead!” She said.
“You must really love me, huh?” Donghae .
“I love my friends. You’re one of them.” Jang Mi gave a throaty laugh.
“Will you go to sleep already! You’re ruining my solitude.” She sent him away.
Donghae just laughed.

“You sleep too. we have to catch up the 7 o’clock ride to the island.” Donghae told her.
“I know.” She said walk inside the house.
I love you…. I wish you I could say that to you for real.


She still woke up early although she hasn’t slept well that night.
After breakfast they then took the ferry going to Oidaldo.

Just as they arrived on the island they started going around.
Donghae kept on telling her stories about his previous visits on the island.
“It is called Oidal-do but the people in the island calls it Bakdari. The people of Mokpo also called it Bakdari Beach instead of Oidal-do Beach.”

They spent the whole day going around and eating stuffs.

She was amazed by the beautiful sea they walk on the beaches on barefeet carrying their sandals on their hands.


It made a mark on her when she saw a warning sign placed near a sea overlooking another island.

“….if you swim to the star island, you can be drown---- dead!” she can’t help but to laugh on the worded and threatening warning.
“Donghaeya… listen.” She called Donghae’s attention as they pass by it.
“Why?” Donghae said moving towards her.
“See that sign?”
Donghae read the warning sign. He himself laughed also.
Donghae then spoke.
“What if I’m on the other island? And I’m seriously in danger. No one else could save me except you. There are no boats or ferries that could be used. Will you dare cross the sea for me?”
Jang Mi looked at him.
“Can’t you read the sign? I’d be drown dead if I’ll do that.” Jang Mi said directly.
“So you won’t save me?” Donghae said on a sad tone.
“I’m afraid not. You’re stronger than me. You’ll be alright. I’ll just call 911 so they’ll bring a helicopter or whatever for you.” Jang Mi said with a laugh.
“You’re not my friend anymore.” Donghae said while moving away from her.
“Yah! You’re really like a kid!” She said following Donghae.
Donghae said nothing. He’s acting mad at her for her answer to him.
“Yah! Oppa!” Jang Mi said still after him.
“Oppa, you know I can’t swim remember?” She finally said as she caught Donghae’s arm.
Donghae was laughing hard with the way Jang Mi told him she can’t swim. He totally forgot.
“Mianhe Mianhe! I forgot. You don’t know how to swim!”
“Yah! You don’t have to say it loud. Some people are looking at us!” She said when she realized some people were looking at them.
Donghae was laughing again.
“Wanna learn? I’ll teach you.” Donghae told her.
“I’m too old to learn.” She refused.
“Of course not. Come on! I’ll teach you!”
“I didn’t bring any swimming suits.” She reasoned out.
“I’ll buy you some!” Donghae replied.
Jang Mi was just wearing pants and a shirt. She has no plans of swimming.
“Shut up, Oppa! I’m not swimming.”
Her real reason was not about the fact that she can’t swim but the fact that she needs to wear a swimming suit for that. And the fact hat she’s alone with Donghae made her feel uncomfortable.
“I have to teach you to swim.” Donghae insisted.
“Why!”
“Because I said so.”
“I said I don’t want to!”
They are now almost shouting at each other.
“Stubborn.” Donghae told her.
“I Know!” Jang Mi replied.
“Stubborn!” He said again.
“I know!”
They then stopped talking. After a little while they glanced at each other and started laughing.
“Come on. Let’s just walk around.” Donghae said as he took her hand
“I told you. You’ll never win over me.” Jang Mi said.
“Whatever.” Donghae smiled back.
Jang Mi just smiled too. Donghae knew that he would never win over her on arguments.
‘But you never knew that I already lost my heart the day I met you.’

They decided to sit on the sand on the beach to watch the sunset.

Jang Mi was surprised as Donghae leaned his head on her shoulders.
"I'm happy to see this beautiful sunset with you." Donghae seriously said.
"Me too." She answered him.

It’s already late in the afternoon when they decided to go home. As they reached the ferry boat heading for Mokpo. But as they went near it, they noticed people gathered in front.
“I’m sorry but the ferry has some engine problems. We cancelled the last trip to Mokpo today. You can have the first trip to Mokpo by tomorrow morning. We are really sorry.” The person in front of the people told them.

“What!?” She said furiously.
“Too bad.” Donghae said.
“What are we gonna do now?”She asked Donghae.
“Let’s just find some inns or motels around. Maybe we’ll find one.”
As they reach every inn and motel they went, it’s already fully booked.
At last they found one that has a room.
“I’m sorry but we only have one room left.”
“Okay we’ll take it.” Donghae told the man.
“But we need two rooms.” She whispered to Donghae.
“Jang Mi, they can’t build another room for us tonight. It’s already late. We’re lucky to have at least a room here.”
Donghae then took the key to the room and started to find the room.
“Aren’t you tired?” Donghae asked her when he realized she’s not following him.
Jang Mi was left with no choice. Now she’s sleeping in a room with Donghae.
When they reached the room, Donghae immediately took off his sandals and shirt and went to take a shower.
“I’m showering first.” He said.
Jang Mi was left still preoccupied with the thought that she’s sleeping in a room with Donghae.
‘What should I do!?’
She then heard the flowing water inside the bathroom.
He’s maybe inside… Now she’s really getting extreme.