Chapter 9

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

 

Jang Mi heard the gush of water inside the bathroom.
Donghae’s showering now.
She kept herself still on her seat. Although she knew that Donghae respects women and a real gentleman, the thought of spending a night with him in one room made her feel uneasy.

Donghae is not the problem here. It’s me.

Things are playing inside her mind which made her feel weird inside.
She gazed around the room. There were pictures of families inside the room. There were also couples and y men and women.

What are these people promoting? This is making me crazier.

The sound of the water flowing inside the bathroom stopped.
Donghae’s done showering. He went out of the bathroom wearing only a towel on his hips.
“It’s your turn.” Donghae said.
He stopped herself from looking at him.
“O-okay..” she went into the bathroom immediately.
She then took a shower to calm herself down.

She purposely spent an hour in the bathroom hoping that Donghae’s already sleeping when she comes out.

But as she went out of the bathroom, wearing the robe provided by the inn, she saw Donghae lying on the bed and reading some magazines. He’s wearing a new sando and jogging pants.
“Where did you get those?” She asked him realizing that he didn’t brought any clothes with him.
“I bought it while you were showering. Here is yours. Wear them.”
Donghae handed her a pair of pajamas. It was colored pink with just a simple design. It suited her taste too.
“And since when did you learn buying women with clothes?” She asked him with a joke.
“Just now.” He smiled with his answer.

Jang Mi thanked him and went back to the bathroom to wear the pajamas.
She liked those pair of pajamas he bought for her.
She went out right after she wore it.
“It fits you right.” He compliments.
“I think so too. Thanks!” She said.
She felt tensed again now that she’s with Donghae.
She combed her hair facing the mirror on the wall.

“Jang Mi…” Donghae called her.

Oh my God… what is it this time oppa?

Donghae went near her.
She answered him.
“Yes?” But she isn’t facing him.
Donghae is finally at her back.
Now her heart is pounding so fast. She stopped breathing when Donghae hold her shoulders.
He looked at the mirror too. He was fixing his hair. Then he spoke.
“I’ll just go outside to gasp some fresh air. It’s warm here.”
Her senses went back again hearing him speak.
She finally felt better with what he said.
Donghae then headed towards the door to leave.
“Are you hungry? Want something to eat?” he asked her.
“No thanks!” She answered him back.
Donghae now finally went out.
She could now breathe better.

Jang Mi, whether you like it or not, you’ll spend the night together. He’s your friend too. You’re actually good friends, So there’s nothing to worry about.
When he comes back, I’ll be better in dealing with him.
She promised herself.

It’s been 2 hours since Donghae left. She almost finished the magazine she’s reading. But he’s still not around. She decided to got down and find him.

When she reached the main door of the inn. She saw Donghae sitting on the sand facing the beach.
What is he doing there? He seems like thinking a lot of things. Is he thinking of Min Ah again?
She felt her heart ached again. Why can’t she control her feelings?
He maybe thinking that it’s must be better if he’s with Min Ah now and not with me.
She don’t want to cry but she felt her tears flow again.
She wanted to get near him but her mind is telling her not to.
She just decided to go back to their room and sleep.

Jang Mi woke up with a voice singing near her.
She didn’t open her eyes but she knew she’s already awake.

It was Donghae singing. She’s very sure of it. She knows his voice too well.
Donghae was singing

So I pray for you (oh) so I
so I promise you (oh) so I
yagsogheyo modungoshi
guderago midulkeyo
will you come to me
na joguman do gude pume
oh sarangheyo gude my love
na onjekajina irohge

 

*******Translation:
(So I pray for you (oh) so I
So I promise you (oh) so I
I promise you everything.
I am going to believe that it's you
Will you come to me
I want to be just a little closer to your embrace
Oh I love you my love
I'm always going to be this way )

Translation:
(So I pray for you (oh) so I
So I promise you (oh) so I
I promise you everything.
I am going to believe that it's you
Will you come to me
I want to be just a little closer to your embrace
Oh I love you my love
I'm always going to be this way )


She wished he’s singing for her. So she kept her eyes closed still.
She finally opened her eyes after a few moments.
Donghae noticed her already awake so he stopped singing.

“Good morning!” He greeted her.
Jang Mi just smiled. She remembered last night. When he chose to stay at the beach and think alone. Something in her heart ached again.

“Good Morning.” She answered him back.
Even though how she’s not feeling good, she has to show him she’s fine.

Donghae was preparing himself. They were about to go back to Mokpo. She got up to take a shower.

After a few minutes, they already are heading towards the ferry. Jang Mi didn’t talk much and Donghae noticed this.
“Is there anything wrong?” Donghae asked her when they already arrived at Mokpo.
“I’m fine. I’m just tired.” She answered back.
“Are you hungry already? You want to eat before we go home?” Donghae asked her again.
“No, I’m not hungry.” She answered directly.
Donghae didn’t ask again after that. He felt that Jang Mi wasn’t in her mood to talk. He was really wondering why.

As they reached home, Jang Mi went in to her room directly and rested. She’s really tired too- physically and emotionally.

At lunch time, Donghae’s mom woke her up to join them for lunch. Donghae and Donghwa are seated already at the table waiting for them when they went out of the room.
Donghae’s mom kept talking as well as asking them about their trip to Mokpo and why did they wasn’t able to come home last night.

Donghae explained why they weren’t able to come home.
“The ferry has some engine problems so we weren’t able to catch up the last trip.” Donghae said.
“So where did you spend the night?” Donghwa asked with a different smile on his face.
“We found an inn around the island and spent the night there.” Donghae answered again.
“You shared a room together?” Donghwa followd up.
“No.” Jang Mi quickly answered.
Donghae swiftly faced Jang Mi’s direction. His eyes were like asking her questions.
Jang Mi just simply looked at Donghae.
She doesn’t want any more questions from them.

“So where are you going after lunch?” Donghae’s mom answered.
Donghwa interrupted.
“Why don’t we all go out? Let’s go to a noraebang (karaoke)?”
“That’s a good idea. Come with us mom!” Donghae said.
After lunch, they went to the noraebang Donghwa saidoffers good services.
They enjoyed a lot. She was singing with them too. At least she’s feeling better.
Everyone had a great time. They spent the whole afternoon there and went home with smiles on their face.
“I hope this will happen again soon.” Donghae’s mom said.
“Of course! As soon as they come home again here.” Donghwa answered.
“Sure it will.” Donghae said.
‘I hope so… I really do hope so.’

Donghae’s mom held Jang Mi’s arm as they went off the car. The lady walked with Jang Mi as they went inside the house. Donghae watched them as they walk and can’t help but to make a side comment of what he saw.
“Yah! You two are plotting something, aren’t you?”
‘Son, where did you get such paranoia?” His mom smiled.
Donghae’s mom went with Jang Mi until to her room.
“Do want to say something to me Auntie?” She finally got the courage to ask.
“Nothing really important. It’s just I hope you could take care of Donghae when you’re in Seoul. He lost his father already, and recently Min Ah died too. I know my son too well. He’s still grieving on both losses. Please take care of him there.” Donghae’s mom explained.
She clearly understands the mother’s love for his son. Donghae’s far for her to take care. But how could she do that after the next few days?
“Ok. I will auntie.”
I’ll try my best to erase him in my heart, and then I could take care of him as a friend.
“Thank you, Jang Mi.” the lady embraced her.
Sometimes, I still wish I could call you Umma, instead of Auntie.


The next day, they already prepared themselves to go back to Seoul.
‘I only have fulfilled two wishes for him. No! Only one I think. I didn’t brought him to the sea, he brought me there. It’s not credited.’

“Oppa, wait!” She called Donghae when the latter is about to buy tickets for them to Seoul via train.

“What?” he asked.
“Don’t buy tickets.”
“Why?”
“Let’s go to East Sea!”
“What?”
“I haven’t been there for a long time. I wanna go there.”
“Now?”
“Yes now. C’mon!”
She went to the ticket booth and asked for tickets to Kangwondo Province.
“Where exactly are we going?” Donghae asked her.
“Donghae City! East Sea? I don’t know why you’re named Donghae while you’re from the west.” She smiled.
Donghae just laughed at her eagerness.
“Have you been there?” he asked her.
“Yes! Of course. I’m from Kangwondo, remember?”
Before her family came to Seoul, they lived in Gangneung , Kangwondo. They moved to Seoul because of his dad’s work.
“How about you? Have you been there?” she asked him.
“No.”
“What? It’s like your city already since you got the same names.”
“I’m busy with SM since I was younger. I’ve never been into places much.”
“Ah ok. I got it.”
Jang Mi stepped on the train but she realized Donghae isn’t following her.
“Why? Aren’t you coming?”
“If you promise to let me teach you how to swim, I’ll get into that train.” He said.
“What?”
“I swear, I won’t get in if you’ll not say yes.”
Jang Mi paused for a moment.
Now you’re blackmailing me. Damn it!
“Ok whatever! Just get in!”
Donghae went in smiling.
He felt he finally won over her.
“Finally! I won!” Donghae said laughing.
Jang Mi felt a sudden headache with what happened.
Why is this guy always making me crazy?
He sat beside Jang Mi comfortably. Then he spoke.
“And before I forget, why did you tell them that we didn’t share a room together when we were in Oedaldo? Is there something wrong with sharing a room with me?”
Now she’s thinking of the best answer again.