Chapter 7

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

Donghae stared at Jang Mi waiting for an answer.
“I didn’t dream about you…” she said trying to get up and ignoring Donghae’s presence.
“Yah… you were like saying ‘ Donghaeya… Donghaeya… Dongaheya…’” saying Donghae with lots of emotions.
“Ok Ok! I dreamt about you dancing in front of many people. Then you slipped on the floor. And I was like saying ‘Donghaeya, are you alright?”
She tried to convince Donghae with a fabricated answer.
“But it doesn’t sound like that.” Donghae disagrees.
“Will you stop whining? Were gonna be late on our itinerary.” Jang Mi said just to end up the conversation.
She was so nervous on how she was trying to reason out her dream. She’s not even sure if Donghae would believe her.

After their breakfast they then went to their first stop – Gatbawi.

Gatbawi is a pair of rocks resembling two persons standing side by side wearing ‘satgat' (reed hats). Legend has it that the bigger rock is the “father” and the smaller one is the “son”.



They then went to Mokpo Museum of Natural History which is on the Gatbawi zone also.
It is the largest natural history museum in Korea . In the natural history hall is displayed the 4.6 billion years of the history of the Earth, and in the history of literature hall is shown the local culture. Jang Mi’s always been interested in sciences and history that’s why a stop on this museum has never been a mistake.


They then went to Mt. Yudulsan. A famous mountain which attracts a lot of tourists. There was the Sculpture Park , Orchid Exhibition hall and Native Plant Botanical Garden.

http://mokpo.go.kr:8088/vr/vr28_1_e.htm
(Just scroll the picture from left to right or vise versa to see the whole pic.. it has eight slides..)

Donghae was explaining every detail he could remember about the mountain. The place was very beautiful and she just can’t stop taking pictures. There was a view of Mokpo from the peak, a sculpture park with 100 pieces, forsythia blossoms each spring, and five observatories.

Donghae continued his sharing of stories with Jang Mi. He also mentioned another story related to Mt. Yudal. It is about the island Samhakdo.
”Samhakdo Island, has several stories about its origin. One states that a long time ago, a young man who studied the military arts lived on Mt. Yudalsan. Three women fell in love with him and visited him often and interrupted his work. So he called them and said ‘I love you too, but wait for me on another island until I finish my work.’ As he said this, the three women left for another island and waited for him. They waited and waited. Doing that, the three women died of longing for him. All three were reborn as cranes. They whooped sadly flying around Mt. Yudalsan. But not knowing this truth, the man shot arrows into the three cranes. The three cranes all fell into the sea near Mt.Yudalsan and died. After that, the island sprang up where the cranes had fallen, and thus became known as 'Samhak Island'”.

She was listening attentively to Donghae’s story. Then something in her made her feel different. Thus it made Donghae noticed her silence.
“Why so silent?” he asked her.
“Nothing. I just realized that it is really hard to love a person who can’t love you back.” She said.
Donghae was silent after hearing her words. He just looked at her. He finally found the words to say and asked her.
“How could you say it? Have you fallen in love already?”
She wasn’t surprised with Donghae’s question. He has always been smart with his thoughts.
“Yes.” She answered directly not thinking that she’s spilling out the words she ought not to say.
Donghae was surprised with her answer and looked at her through her eyes.
She continued talking.
“And I realized that loving a person so much and giving that person your everything isn’t wrong. The only wrong thing is choosing the person you will love.”
Donghae noticed the sincerity of her voice.
He asked her.
“Who is the lucky guy then?”
“There’s nothing you can do about it.”
She then started walking towards their car.
“Yah! Why won’t you tell me?” he starts walking after her.
Jang Mi then tried to change her mood into a cheerful one. She can’t afford Donghae’s curiousness to grow.
“It was so long ago! Nothing significant really.” She said as she was trying to avoid the conversation.
Donghae still felt something is different with Jang Mi that moment.
When they reached the car, Donghae then tried to lighten up the mood.
“Where do you want to eat?” he asked her.
“You’re the one from Mokpo, so just take me to the best restaurant in town.” She answered her back with a smile.
Donghae then drove her to a restaurant near the sea. The restaurant serves seafood dishes- the specialty of the city.
“I know you like it here.” Donghae said to Jang Mi as they went to a stop.
“Oh my! You really know me best! Let’s eat.” She said happily.

Jang Mi enjoyed the delicious meal they ordered especially the baby octopus which really tasted great.


They spent the rest of the day going through other places in the city. Donghae also brought her to the school he went to. He also went to some of his childhood friends and introduced them to Jang Mi. She almost fell of her seat when one of Donghae’s friend asked them if they were an item. Donghae just smiled and directly said that they are not. Although she knows that Donghae just said the right thing, she still wished that he would hear Donghae say that there is something between them.

It’s already nightfall when they went home. Donghae’s mom just waited for them to arrive and then went to sleep right after. She tried to sleep too but she can’t. She went out and sat on the bench on the lawn outside the house. She was trying to make herself sleepy but she just can’t fell asleep. Her mind was preoccupied with what has happened through out the day.
During her deep thinking, she was so surprised when somebody tapped her on the shoulders.
“Still can’t sleep?” said Donghae who came without making any noise.
“Yah! You scared me to death.” She said with a hit on Donghae’s arm.
“Aw! You don’t have to hurt me.” He said with a smile. He then sat beside Jang Mi.
“Go to sleep now. We still have lots of things to do tomorrow.” Donghae continued.
“Where are we going tomorrow?” she asked back.
“We’re going to the most famous island here in Mokpo. They call it the Love Island Oidaldo.”
“Nice name. The Love Island. But does it apply that only lovers go there?” She asked jokingly.
“It sometimes does…But we don’t have any problems about it.”Donghae said without hesitations.

Jang Mi at once glimpsed at Donghae’s seat. He was looking at her too.
Donghae continued speaking.
“Well have no problem about it 'cause You love me right?”
Jang Mi was just caught off-guard with his words.