Chapter 10

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

“And before I forget, why did you tell them that we didn’t share a room together when we were in Oedaldo? Is there something wrong with sharing a room with me?”
Jang Mi thought for awhile. She finally said the truth.
“There’s nothing wrong about it between us. But what will your mother say if she knew we shared a room? For sure she won’t like it.”
“But we have no choice then.”
“Would you expect them to believe us easily?”
“Yes. Should there be a reason why they won’t believe us?”
Jang Mi can’t answer his question.

He’s right. I’m just making big fuzz about it. But what could I do? It’s what I feel. It’s what runs into my mind.

Donghae noticed she’s not talking anymore.
“Now you’re silent again.” He said. Donghae was like scolding her with his sermon.
“You’re really like that. Every time I did something that you don’t like, you just stay silent and it’s something that….”
“Shhhhh….” Jang Mi interrupted him seriously.
“What?” Donghae said. He kept silent and listened to what Jang Mi was talking about.
They were silent for a long time.
“I haven’t heard any.” Donghae complained.
“Actually, there’s nothing to listen to.” I just want you to stop talking.” Jang Mi laughed. She thought of that tactic to make Donghae shut up. She was teasing him.
Donghae’s expression changed. His eyebrows crossed and it looks likes he’s mad.
Jang Mi laughed even harder seeing Donghae’s face.
Donghae kept silent and still with a mad facial expression.

He stared at Donghae face but he wasn’t looking at her.
“Are you mad?” She said still smiling.
She tried to make faces in faces in front of Donghae. Donghae tried to look away but Jang Mi always try to catch his eyes. With Jang Mi’s effort, Donghae just can’t stop himself from laughing. Jang Mi was laughing too. She missed this kind of moments. When they were still younger, she used to do it when Donghae looked pissed off or sad. She never fails to make him smile.
“Know what? You never changed, I still love the way you make me laugh.” Donghae said still smiling.
“So now, you look at me as a clown.” She said smiling too.
“Sort of.” Donghae answered.
Their conversation was interrupted when a young boy approached their seat.
“Excuse me. Donghae hyung?”
Donghae looked at the little boy who is holding a piece of paper on his hand. The child was around 4 to 5 years old, he estimated.
“Yes?” Donghae said with a smile.
“Can I have an autograph from you?” The young boy timidly said.
“Why not.” Donghae then took the young boy’s paper.
“Do you have a pen?” Donghae asked Jang Mi.
“Wait. I have one.” Jang Mi said as she opened her bag.
After writing on the paper, Donghae then handed it to the little boy.
“Study hard ok?” He said to the little boy.
“I wanna be like Donghae hyung when I grow up.” The child proudly said.
Donghae just smiled.
The boy then thanked Donghae but also asked him another question.
“Is she your girlfriend?”
She was surprised with the young boy’s question. Donghae also then looked at her smiling.
“Why did you ask?” said Donghae.
“You look good together. She’s very pretty too!” the boy answered.
“Thank you. You’re very cute too!” Jang Mi answered the little boy.
The boy then walked away holding that piece of paper with a smile on the face.
“You like kids a lot. I still could remember that.” Jang Mi said.
“I wanna have lots of kids when I’ll get married.” He answered.
“I think you’ll be a good father just like your dad.”
“You think so?”
She just nodded.
Donghae then smiled.
“And the young boy said I’m beautiful.” She grinned.
“Where did he learn how to lie. Poor kid.” Donghae spoke.
“Yah! Kids don’t lie.” She objected.
Donghae just laughed. “Ok you’re beautiful.”
“I know!” Jang Mi Proudly said.

As soon as they reached Donghae City, they then went to a boutique to find something to wear. She tried to persuade Donghae not to teach her how to swim but he insisted.
She just chose the simplest pair of swim suit she saw. Donghae went near her and looked at what she chose to buy.
“Who told you to buy suits like this?”
“What? These are the most descent ones.”
“You call this descent? You’re not wearing this.” He said with so much authority on his voice.
He grabbed Jang Mi’s hand and pulled her to the other displays on the boutique.
“You wear this.” Donghae said handing her a spaghetti strap blouse and shorts.
Jang Mi was so surprised with what he told her to wear.
“A lot of boys are on the beach and you’ll just get their attention wearing those bikinis.”
“Those weren’t bikinis!” She reasoned out.
“They look like bikinis to me.”
Although shocked with his weird behavior, she just chose to wear what he told her to.
Actually, these are better. She said to herself as she changed her clothes.

They then headed towards the beach. Donghae was just wearing a simple shirt and boxer shorts. They also brought some food and drink. They noticed a lot of people are staying at the beach so they decided to move to the farther side wherein there are less people swimming. And she clearly understands that seeing them together may bring up issues about him and of course she doesn’t want that to happen.

Donghae then run to the sea as soon as they found a good spot to stay.
He kept calling her to join him swimming but she refuses. Donghae then went back to the shore and pulled her to the sea. But she was very firm refusing him. She’s not yet ready she thought.
So she was left at the shore fixing their food. She looked at Donghae and saw his childlike side again. She’s happy seeing him like that.
“Yah! Don’t go too far oppa.” She said as she noticed Donghae swimming to far.
Donghae wasn’t listening and kept going too far. When she looked back again to check on Donghae she noticed him waving on her. She waved back too. But then she noticed Donghae was slowly drifting into the water. He was trying hard to keep swimming towards the shallow part of the sea but he looks like drowning.
She was alarmed seeing him like that.
He used to swim so well. Why is he drowning?
She looked around to see if some people could help her. She was screaming for help but no one’s there. She was forced to swim into the water. Donghae isn’t visible already. He looked like he’s drowned.
Jang Mi’s fear escalates. She doesn’t care anymore if she knows how to swim or not. All that matters is that she must save Donghae. She started to go into the water. She tried to swim on the best she could. She’s having the hardest time trying to move her legs to keep her body floating. But whatever she does she can’t see Donghae. She tried to swim deep to look for him but she felt her legs weaken. Her mind is blurring and she felt like losing breath. She wanted to gasp air but she can’t move higher. She’s crying inside. She can’t die like this. She must save Donghae. But she felt everything is turning into black.
Donghaeya… mianhe… I don’t want to lose you this way.
Suddenly she felt someone grabbed her body and pulled her up from the water. That person’s arm is so strong and it’s all over her. She felt her senses coming back again. She just realized she’s on the shore now lying down. She opened her eyes. She then saw Donghae staring at her face. Her heart jumped in happiness. She really thought she’s not gonna see him again. She stood up as she felt her strength went back. Donghae assisted her to stand up. But she moved away from him. Her happiness was mixed with anger. He was just making a fool out of her.
“Get your hands off me!” She shouted at him.
“Sorry… I was just kidding.” Donghae explained.
“What? You’re just kidding? Don’t you know how much you scared me? That’s not a joke!”
Donghae was silent. He looks very sorry for what he did.
Donghae tried to grab her hand and say sorry again but Jang Mi didn’t allow him to. She walked away. Donghae followed her and embraced her from the back.
Now she’s tearing up. She was crying hard.
“I’m sorry.” Donghae said again and again.
“Don’t you know how scared I was?” She was still crying. Donghae’s embrace tighten. “I’m so sorry. I never thought you’d go into the water to save me. Thank you.” Donghae said seriously.
He turned Jang Mi to make her face him. Jang Mi was still crying.
“Hush now.” She embraced her again.
He dried Jang Mi’s eyes and kissed her on the cheeks.
“I’m sorry.” He cupped her face and said sincerely looking through her eyes.
“Don’t you ever do that again.” Jang Mi said.
“I won’t.” He embraced her again. “I love the beach. Thanks for taking me here.”

It’s almost getting dark when they went to a hotel near the beach. They finally had two different rooms to spend the night. After taking a shower she then prepared herself for her dinner with Donghae. She wore a simple blouse and pants and had her long hair down freely. She also placed a simple make up and sprayed her perfume on her

She then heard a knock on the door. She knew it was Donghae since they agreed that the latter will fetch her after an hour for their dinner.
She then opened the door and saw who she’s been expecting to come.
“You look pretty.” Donghae said.
She felt heart skipped a beat hearing his compliment.
“Thank you.” She said.

After dinner, they went around the town. They took pictures together. She never felt happier. Donghae showed so much care this time. She doesn’t know if it’s because of the incident happened earlier or he’s just being sweet.

They then went back to the hotel to rest.
“Tomorrow we’ll leave for Seoul early. So sleep early too ok?” She told Dongahe.
“Ok.” That’s all he said. He then went to his room just beside Jang Mi’s.

Jang Mi then went inside the room. She took a shower and put on her robe. She went to her room’s terrace and sat there. It was over looking the beach. She loved the view. She remembered what happened a while ago.
I’ll miss this place. Every place I went with you.
Every second I’m with you.
The tears made me strong.
And the happiness I felt with you will always be priceless.

She was looking through the photos saved on her digicam. Tears build up again. She doesn’t like what she’s feeling. She’s already made up her mind to stay away from Donghae after her mission. But she has promised Donghae’s mom that she’ll take care of her son when they're in Seoul.
Ok, I’ll stay with you. But friendship, that’s all we could have. And I had been trying to accept that for 3 years now.
She’s decided. She’ll be staying with Donghae. She’s keeping her promise.
I’ll try to love somebody else. Maybe I could find someone who could love me back too. After this, when we’re in Seoul, I’ll start erasing you from my heart.

Jang Mi woke up after hearing knocks on her door. She looked at the wall clock.
It’s still 2 in the morning. Who would intrude me this early?
“Maybe it’s Donghae.”
She was anxious who’s on the door. Until she opened it and found out that her guess was right. Donghae was standing right at the door.
“Yah. You know what time is it? What’s wrong?” she asked him.
But Donghae isn’t talking. He kept looking down on the floor.
She reached for Donghae’s face and tried to talk to him.
“Hey, is there anything wrong?” she asked again.
As she looked into Donghae’s face, she saw his eyes have tears. It’s like he’s been crying for a long time now.
“Why are you crying? What happened?” She said with so much worry on her voice.
She didn’t expect him to see like that. It also pains seeing him looking so down.
She let him into her room.
“Hey, what’s wrong?” She softly spoke.
“I’m so sad right now.” Donghae finally said.
It’s breaking her heart seeing him cry. But then she realized he smelled of alcohol when he spoke.
“Are you drunk?” She asked him directly.
Donghae then reached for her face and looked into her eyes.
Jang Mi was caught off guard. She could almost smell his breath. It smelled of alcohol.
But then suddenly Donghae held her nape and kissed her. She doesn’t know what to do. She can’t even push him to stop what he’s doing. She felt his arm on her waist and pulling her close to him. He’s holding her so tight as if not letting her go. Jang Mi’s knees weaken as the kiss grew deep. She doesn’t know how long she could get a hold of herself not to kiss back. But not for too long she just found herself responding to his kiss. Donghae pushed her off the wall still kissing her. She closed her eyes and feel Donghae’s kiss. It tasted like alcohol. She felt intoxicated too. She was still allowing herself to give in to his kiss. His arms were all over her waist. She was embracing him tight too. She’s holding on to a thread. One more minute and she could lose her self already.
But Donghae suddenly stopped kissing her. She just felt his head leaning on her shoulders and the warmth of his breath on her neck. Tears were running down to her chest. It was Donghae’s tears. He was holding her close still. She then heard Donghae mumbling words which sounded a name.
“Min Ah…”
She just felt her heart tore upon hearing what he said.
You just killed me again, oppa.