Chapter 1

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER

 

“It’s been quite a while.”
Jang Mi stood in front of a familiar door. It’s been years since she last saw it. She slowly reached out her hand to feel the door’s surface. “It’s still here”, she said to herself. Slowly emotions came back. Her tears started to roll down. She moved her hands to the side of the door. “I hope it’s still the same.” She then dialed a combination of numbers hoping that it will open the door. But before she could press the last digit she heard a shrill cry from the end part of the hallway she’s standing. All her senses came back again. It’s as if she went back to reality.
_____________________________________

“Seoul, I’m here again.” Jang Mi said to herself as she stepped inside the arrival area of Incheon International Airport. She’s been away for three years and spent these years in Manila, Philippines to study.

But now she’s back because of one painful reason. Min Ah died. Park Min Ah was her bestfriend since their younger years. When they moved to Seoul for the first time, Min Ah was the first person who befriended her. She clearly remembers her first day at school. She’s 12 then and hardly relates with the other students. Min Ah was her classmate and the only one who gives time to frequently talk to her. As the days passed they became closer. They laugh and cry together. She had more friends too. But there’s no one like Min Ah. She was the best friend she’d always want to be with. But now Min Ah’s gone. And she wasn’t even able to say goodbye.

She then rode a taxi towards the cemetery. On her way, she saw familiar streets and places they usually hang out before. Memories of the past started to play on her mind. She just can’t help but cry.

At the cemetery, she saw Min Ah’s grave. She remembered the call she got 3 days ago from her mom. Min Ah died from illness. Brain cancer, it is. She cried all day after hearing the news. She immediately booked a ticket to Seoul and now she’s here standing in front of Min Ah’s grave.