You'll Never Survive

I Can Make You Smile

“Luhan! LUHAN!” called his mother, “get up now or you’ll be late for school!” She waited for a few moments before bursting into his room. “Luhan!”

 

“I’m up… I’m up,” he grumbled and lazily rolled out of bed.

 

“Breakfast is on the table. Your father and I will be attending a meeting in Seoul that’ll hopefully get us our business back sometime this year. We’ll be gone for a day or two,” said his mother and she walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

 

‘Wait… what?! They are just going to leave me here – alone – among these low-class barbarians?!’ thought Luhan in disbelief. “I’ll just ask her about it later…” he mumbled to himself and went about his normal morning routine which consisted of showering, brushing his teeth, and getting dressed. He dressed himself in a nice pair of khakis and a sky blue dress shirt; his golden hair swooped neatly across his forehead.

 

‘I may not be rich anymore but that doesn’t mean I should dress like a brute,’ Luhan thought as he walked out of his room and sat at the small dining room table.

 

“So I’m going to be stuck in this dump alone for two days while you two go have the time of your lives in Seoul?” he questioned bitterly.

 

“We’re doing this so that we all may go back to Seoul one day, Luhan,” his mother responded with a slight sharpness in her voice, “now finish your breakfast so you can go to school. It’s only six blocks away.” Luhan simply rolled his eyes and finished eating his breakfast.

 


 

Ring! The bell for first period to begin resonated throughout the high school, causing Luhan’s heart to beat faster. This school was complete and utter chaos. People were constantly “rough housing” and throwing trash at each other. They didn’t even bother to dress properly. Everywhere Luhan looked he saw ripped jeans, ragged shirts, leather jackets, and biker boots. A look of disgust spread across his face and then he began to notice that the hallway began to clear out. ‘I should get to class too,’ he thought while looking at his schedule.

 

He finally managed to find his class and he slowly reached for the doorknob, taking a deep breath. ‘You can do this Luhan… you can do this,’ he thought to himself as he slowly entered the classroom.

 

“Ah, yes! Our new student!” said the teacher cheerfully as she stood beside Luhan, “can you please introduce yourself to the class?”

 

Luhan nodded slightly while looking at the ground, “My name’s Luhan and I just-,”

 

“Oh, look guys! We have a new female student,” said a rough-looking blonde guy. The guy began making childish “kissy” faces and his group of friends burst into laughter, causing the entire room to disrupt into chaos.

 

Luhan looked up and glared at the blonde guy and his friends – he couldn’t stand when people referred to him as looking feminine. He was very manly, okay? Manly!

 

“Now class, settle… s-settle down… class!” the teacher yelled but couldn’t get the class to settle down. Then suddenly – “Yah!”

 

The same tanned guy Luhan saw the other day was sitting at the back of the class – he had been the one to yell “yah”. The entire class immediately fell deathly silent. The teacher smiled thankfully at him. “Thank you, Kai,” said the teacher and then she turned back to you, “sit beside Kai in the back, okay? And welcome to the class.”

 

Luhan nodded and went to take his place beside Kai. “We’ll see you later on, pretty boy,” the blonde guy whispered as Luhan walked past.

 

Luhan scoffed and plopped down in his seat beside Kai. Kai, however, didn’t even bother to acknowledge his existence. He only continued to stare out of the window, an unreadable expression on his face.

 

Luhan cleared his throat awkwardly and faced the front of the class. He also noticed the other guy, the flirty-looking one, a few seats ahead of him. Not thinking much of it, Luhan went back to paying attention to the lesson being taught, Math.

 


 

 “And that, class, is the end of today’s lesson!” announced the teacher just as the bell rang, “don’t forget to study for your test Friday! You have from today, Monday, to get studying!”

 

“Nae~” the class responded monotonously as they started filing out of the classroom.

 

Luhan began packing up his own belongings when he suddenly heard – “you’ll never survive here.”

 

Luhan looked up to see who said it and noticed Kai looking directly at him. “E-excuse… me?” Luhan stuttered, feeling intimidated by him.

 

Kai stood up and slung on his backpack. “You heard me the first time,” and with that, he walked out of the classroom.