Or Else...

I Can Make You Smile

Luhan sat looking at Seung Gi and was absolutely speechless. ‘He has got to be kidding… he must be kidding… right?’ Luhan thought but observing Seung Gi’s face told him otherwise.

 

Well?” Seung Gi asked sounding annoyed – probably because of Luhan’s silence.

 

“W-well…” Luhan repeated absentmindedly, still staring at Seung Gi with utter confusion written all over his face.

 

“I’m serious, Luhan,” he said with a poker face and took out the written contract, “now just… sign the ing contract already and stop looking at me like that.”

 

‘I guess this will be my way of saying thanks… by saving his life since he saved mine,’ Luhan thought and slowly took the contract from Seung Gi. Luhan exhaled, not realizing that he had been holding his breath for a while, and gulped hard while reading the contract. Everything that Seung Gi had mentioned was there and Luhan desperately looked for a loophole but couldn’t find one – this contract seemed impossible to get out of.

 

Luhan took the pen that Seung Gi was waving in front of his face and slowly signed his name on the dotted line.

 

And with the signing of this contract, Luhan signed away his life.

 


 

“Ahh… it’s beautiful, don’t you think?” Seung Gi asked rhetorically and kissed the contract dramatically before putting it away.

 

Luhan turned away from him and Seung Gi made ‘tsk’ sounds while shaking his head. “Now now Luhan, I don’t like to be ignored. Look at me,” Seung Gi demanded but with a gentle, sarcastic tone of voice. Luhan, however, didn’t obey his order and only continued to stare at the ground.

 

“I said look at me,” Seung Gi spat and harshly grabbed Luhan’s face, forcing him to look at him. “Now was that so hard?” he asked with a smirk.

 

Luhan just remained in stubborn silence and Seung Gi began to look annoyed. “Fine… I guess I’ll just go home then and thanks to you, Kai will die,” Seung Gi said and began to stand up.

 

“Wait!” Luhan exclaimed and grabbed his wrist, stopping him from standing up, “I… I’m s-sorry…”

 

Suho began to stir slightly in his sleep and both Luhan and Seung Gi froze, looking at him to make sure he didn’t wake up before they continued their conversation. Suho, however, just adjusted himself to another position and continued to sleep.

 

“That’s more like it,” Seung Gi said, looking back at Luhan with an accomplished smirk, “now I’m going to go to the doctor and let him know that I’m ready to do this.” He stood up and began to walk away towards the operating room.

 

“Oh, and another thing, don’t let anyone know about our little contract… especially not Kai,” he said over his shoulder before disappearing inside the operating room.

 

‘What did I just do…?’ Luhan thought miserably.

 


 

Luhan checked the time on his phone when Seung Gi left and it was only 2 A.M. He desperately tried to fall back asleep but every time he closed his eyes, Seung Gi’s image would flash in his mind and the words from their conversation rang in his ears. He had so many questions to ask and all of them were left unanswered.

 

Why does he want to own me? Does he honestly believe he is even worthy of being with me?  But more importantly… why does he want to make me fall in love with him?

 

These questions, along with a few others, rattled around in his brain and he simply could not make sense of it. No matter how many times he thought about it… no matter how many angles he tried to look at it from… it just didn’t make sense.

 

At this rate, Luhan just curled up in his seat and looked at the still sleeping Kris and Suho. Oh how he envied them right now… more than he ever thought possible. How he envied the fact that they could sleep so peacefully. How he envied the fact that they didn’t sign their life away to a psychopath…

 

Luhan sighed and rested his head on his knees – it was going to be a long day.

 


 

Suho began to squirm and wake up, causing Kris to wake up along with him. Suho rubbed his eyes groggily and looked at Luhan who was doing something, possibly texting, on his phone.

 

“Yah Luhan, you’re awake?” Suho asked, peering at Luhan.

 

Luhan looked up to see that both Suho and Kris were now awake and he nodded ‘yes’ in response to Suho’s question.

 

Both Kris and Suho noticed that Luhan had dark circles under his eyes and that he was looking absolutely exhausted. “Didn’t you sleep last night?” Kris asked him with a look of worry on his face.

 

Luhan feigned a small, fake smile and put his phone away. “I woke up in the middle of the night and after that I just couldn’t sleep… that’s all,” he responded briefly, not letting them know about the situation with Seung Gi.

 

Suho felt as if Luhan wasn’t telling the whole truth and was about to further question him but the doctor walked out of the operating room, which completely captured his attention.

 

“Good news guys,” the doctor began, “thanks to Seung Gi, who came early this morning, we were able to perform the blood transfusion and it was successful. Kai should be coming out of his coma sometime soon.”

 

Suho immediately grinned from ear-to-ear, his eyes forming back into those perfect half-moons and Kris smiled happily too, breaking his usual cold image.

 

Luhan, though he was happy about Kai’s recovery, couldn’t help but feel sad too because he knew… he knew that this would probably be the last time he would be allowed to freely see Kai and he could never tell Kai why… or else.