But Tomorrow...

I Can Make You Smile

“R-Really? That’s… I’d appreciate that,” Kai said to Kris and closed his eyes, resting them for a bit.

 

“Are you okay? Do you need a nurse?” Suho asked while looking upon Kai with a worried expression on his face.

 

“Gwaenchanha… I’m just a little tired is all,” Kai said drowsily, “but… just… don’t leave me here alone, okay?”

 

They all nodded in unison but only Luhan felt a pang at his heart from Kai’s words.

 

Don’t leave me here alone…

 

Those words made Luhan feel extremely guilty knowing that this would be the last day he could spend at the hospital and he gulped hard. ‘Damn you Seung Gi,’ Luhan thought angrily but tried to remain expressionless.

 

“Luhan…” Kai said softly and cracked his eyes open, “thanks for being here too.”

 

Damn. Now Luhan felt even worse.

 

“I… you don’t have to thank me,” Luhan said with a small smile but it came across as sad, “I wanted to be here.”

 

“Why does everybody keep looking so… sad?” Kai finally asked, sounding weak, “I’ll never… recover with everyone being like… like this.”

 

“We’re not sad,” Suho said ironically since he had been the first to cry moments earlier and was now stuffing his face with the food Kris brought, “just concerned for our hyung.”

 

“I’m fine… really,” Kai said faintly.

 

Kris was noticing how Kai seemed to grow paler by the minute and firmly stated, “I don’t believe it. I’m getting you a nurse,” and then he left the room to find a nurse.

 

“Aish! That… pabo!” Kai shouted weakly and threw a pillow at the door as Kris was leaving.

 

“Well he had a good reason Kai… you do look pretty bad,” Suho said, agreeing with Kris’s decision, “besides he’s just worried. We all are.”

 

“I know that… I know…” Kai began, “but it’s my job to worry about you two. I’m the leader… You guys shouldn’t have to see me like this.” Kai then noticed Luhan’s presence and went to correct himself, “make that three. It’s my job to worry about and protect you three.”

 

That simple correction sent a big smile to Luhan’s face and Kai smiled back sincerely. Luhan hadn’t smiled like that in a long time.

 

“Well now it’s our time to protect you,” Luhan said, “and since you’ve done so much for us… think of this as our way of saying thanks.” Luhan said “our” but he really hoped that Kai understood that he was thanking him for the time that he saved him – and Kai smirked showing that he understood Luhan’s hidden message.

 

‘Yet this isn’t my only way of saying thanks…’ Luhan thought nervously.

 


 

Kris quickly returned to the room with a nurse and the nurse immediately rushed to Kai’s bedside. “Give me some room,” the nurse ordered, causing Luhan and Suho to back away from Kai’s bed.

 

“How are you feeling?” the nurse asked while getting ready to draw some of Kai’s blood.

 

Kai didn’t respond; he just stared coldly at the nurse, making the nurse become awkward around him.

 

“I’m just going to-,” the nurse began.

 

“Don’t make small talk with me,” Kai interrupted, “just do what you have to do then get out of my sight.”

 

The nurse cleared and nodded, showing that she understood. The whole atmosphere of the hospital room was tense now – it was almost suffocating. The nurse drew his blood and shuffled towards the door. “I’ll be back with your breakfast,” she said quickly before leaving the room.

 

“You didn’t have to be so rude,” Kris said, scolding Kai as usual.

 

“Yeah? Well… I hate nurses,” Kai mumbled childishly, causing all of them to laugh.

 


 

The rest of the day flew by fast – too fast. They were now just five minutes from the end of visiting hours and Suho went back to looking sad. “I don’t want to leave,” he said with a slight pout.

 

“But you guys need to go home and rest because you have school tomorrow,” Kai said, “I may be here but I’m still the leader and what I say goes.”

 

After hearing a few groans of protest, Kai said, “Yah! I’m serious… now go.”

 

“Alright guys… we should listen to him. Lets go,” Kris said while pushing the stubborn Suho towards the door.

 

“Keep in contact with us, okay? You have my number! And stay healthy… make sure you eat plenty of food and drink water and milk! I know you don’t like milk that much but drink it anyway. And eat all of your vegetables… no matter how gross you think they are!” Suho said, offering numerous words of advice to Kai before being wrestled out of the room by Kris.

 

Luhan, being the only one left in the room, walked over to Kai’s bed to simply tell him goodnight but Kai unexpectedly pulled him into another embrace. “Really… I’m glad you came,” Kai whispered and a part of him desperately wanted to continue to hold Luhan but he ended up having to let go of him because their time was running out and a nurse would be in there any minute to tell Luhan that he needed to leave.

 

“And I… I’m glad t-to see that you’re okay,” Luhan said, blushing hard, making him extremely grateful that it was dark in the room except for the dim light coming from the television.

 

Kai smiled and shifted to a more comfortable position on his bed and yawned, “Goodnight Luhan.”

 

“Goodnight Kai…” Luhan said softly and walked out of his hospital room.

 


 

Luhan’s phone vibrated while he was walking out of Kai’s room and he checked to see who had texted him – it was a text from Seung Gi and it only said:

 

“You’re mine tomorrow, Sleeping Beauty.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hi guys! Since I didn't update this weekend, I'm treating you to three updates! ^w^ I hope you're enjoying this story! 

And if you're ever confused, let me know! 

Thanks and I love you all! ^ 3^