No... Not Him.

I Can Make You Smile

“Kai-ya… h-he’s… he’s in the hospital…” Suho breathed, his eyes still wide with shock. All of the color drained out of his face, leaving him looking deathly pale.

 

“The hospital?! Wae?” Kris exclaimed, finally showing some emotion and he rose from his seat as well. Luhan had been the only still sitting down – he didn’t know how to comprehend the news. ‘Kai… he can’t be… he was just fine the last time I saw him,’ thought Luhan disbelievingly and drifted into his own thoughts.

 

Suho shrugged his shoulders as if to say ‘I don’t know’ and then turned his attention to Luhan. “Luhan! Yah!” Suho called and yanked his arm, “we need to go!”

 

Luhan nodded slowly, still in a state of shock, and stood up. Suho grabbed his hand and quickly led him out of the restaurant with Kris following close behind them.

 

They all hopped in the car and Suho sped all the way to the local hospital. Suho was the first one to get out of the car and charged into the building with Kris and Luhan right on his heels.

 

Suho ran to the receptionist’s desk and gathered his breath – Kris and Luhan did the same when they caught up to him. “Where is Kim Jongin’s room?” Suho asked, still lightly panting. The receptionist shuffled through a few files on her desk before finding Kai’s chart. “Room 213,” she responded, “but he’s in surgery now so you’ll have to wait out here.”

 

“Wait? What do you mean wait?” Suho asked demandingly, “my friend could be dying in there and you expect me to wait?!” Suho’s umma-like instincts began to take over. Though Suho was younger than Kai, he still cared for him as if he was his mother.

 

“I-I’m sorry sir, there’s nothing I can do about it. The doctors need room to operate and you’ll just get in the way,” the receptionist replied, “we’ll do our best for your friend, I promise. Now if you can’t calm down I’ll have to send you out of here.”

 

Suho's entire face was red with anger and Kris patted his shoulder. “Come on, we should do as she says,” Kris said calmly but he was everything but calm on the inside – thousands of thoughts and emotions were swarming around within him, making him feel slightly dizzy.

 

“Guys…” Luhan whimpered and tears gathered in the corners of his big, deer-like eyes. Suho looked at Luhan and outstretched his arms to him. Luhan hung his head and walked into Suho’s embrace. The two had both began to cry on each other’s shoulder while Kris tried his best to show a strong image. Suho had been the second oldest but he had never been good at being strong. In fact, he was always the first one to cry. Always.

 

Luhan found it odd that he was so impacted by Kai being hurt. Yes, he should care but he felt hurt down to his very core. It was as if someone had a tight grip on his heart and wouldn’t let go…

 

‘Maybe you like K-… no, nonsense!’ Luhan thought in denial, ‘you don’t fall for hoodlums, Luhan.’

 

Suho had now released Luhan from the embrace and was looking at him with red, puffy eyes. “It’ll be okay, alright? Kai is strong…” Suho said to Luhan but it sounded more so like he was trying to convince himself of that. Luhan nodded and they each took a seat in the waiting area. Kris sat down beside Suho who was still sniffling softly and Luhan sat across from the two of them, hugging his knees to his chest.

 

‘Please be okay, Kai… I never even got to thank you… for everything,’ Luhan thought sorrowfully and let a few more tears fall.

 


 

A doctor walked out of the operating room and called Suho’s name causing the three boys to rise out of their seats.

 

“Ne?” Suho said and looked at the doctor intensely.

 

“Kim Jongin was involved in a deadly car accident in downtown Itaewon, it was a hit-and-run accident so we don't know who hit him but thankfully he’s fine… for the most part,” the doctor stated grimly.

 

“For the most part? What do you mean?” questioned Luhan, the look of worry growing on his face.

 

“He’s in a coma right now but he’s stable. It was a long trip to get him up here from the downtown area so he lost a lot of blood. He’s going to need a blood transfusion,” the doctor explained, “and the only person who matches his rare blood type is...”

 

The doctor flipped through some papers he had on his clipboard and finally found the paper he was searching for.

 

 “Choi Seung Gi.”