New Beginnings

I Can Make You Smile

After Luhan’s parents’ business went bankrupt, they had no choice but to move to another city in Korea. A cheaper city where they could actually afford to live in unlike Seoul, which was very expensive.

 

But this new city... Itaewon, was tough – violence was the norm here and Luhan, unacquainted with this kind of thing, was very against living there. He had always lived in the “lap of luxury” and would accept nothing less. Anything he wanted, he received - no questions asked.

 

This spoiled way of living had made him look down upon others often but now… now he was in their very position.

 

He was poor.

 

Poor.

 

The very sound of the word made him disgusted to the core. His family had to sell practically everything they owned just to make this move and now as they began the journey to this new city, Luhan became bitter towards everyone. He hated the fact that his whole life had to change because his foolish parents couldn’t keep a simple business running properly.

 

His eyebrows furrowed in frustration as he looked out the window; “Welcome to Itaewon” read a large, green sign they drove by. There was suggestive graffiti written all over the sign and Luhan immediately felt his heart sink. ‘It’s just as bad as I imagined…’ he thought anxiously.

 

Driving to their new home was almost torturous for him. Litter was scattered throughout the streets. Abandoned buildings loomed at every street corner. Menacing-looking people slunk up and down the sidewalks. Nowhere seemed safe to Luhan.

 

“You truly expect us to live here with this… filth?” Luhan questioned.

 

“Luhan!” exclaimed his mother, “I won’t hear anymore of this kind of talk. Don’t judge people or this place; you haven’t experienced it yet.”

 

“I know if I ‘experience’ it, I’ll probably get mugged,” Luhan murmured and he went back to looking out the car window.

 

Their car came to a halt at the stoplight and Luhan noticed three guys around his age standing around a motorcycle detailed with flames and skulls. One of the guys was very friendly looking but a hint of flirtatiousness glinted in his eyes, however, whenever he smiled his eyes formed into perfect half-moons. ‘Kind of short though,’ thought Luhan observing the guy.

 

The other guy was very tall, towering over the other two. ‘He has a very cold appearance’ thought Luhan and looked to the third guy. He had nicely tanned skin and behind his eyes was a mischievous spark but something was “off” about him. His smirk. That was it. Luhan couldn’t tell whether it was nice or if it had bad intentions behind it. The third guy pulled on his motorcycle helmet just as the stoplight finally turned green and they continued down the road to their new home.

 

“Well… here we are. Our new home,” said Luhan’s father as he pulled into the driveway. ‘You have got to be kidding me,’ thought Luhan as he viewed the house. The house was incredibly small and the small patch of grass that served as a “front yard” was almost completely dead. It appeared as a sea of brown before the small, brick home.

 

“A little yard work and scrubbing could make this place look a lot better! Don’t you think?” asked his mother cheerily.

 

“The only thing that could make this house look better is if it were torn down,” grumbled Luhan as he stepped out of the car.

 

“Watch your tone with your mother,” his father said sternly, “you’ve had an attitude all day.”

 

 Luhan turned to glare at his father who had just now stepped out of the car. “So you honestly expect me to be happy about moving to this?” spat Luhan as he gestured to the house, “how can you even call this… this… thing a home? I’m not going to be like you and mother and pretend like everything is okay. It’s not okay!”

 

His father stood there stunned at Luhan’s retort. “I’m not going to argue with you anymore Luhan. This move is final. Now get in the house and unpack, it’s getting late,” his father growled.

 

Luhan huffed dramatically and grabbed his things from out of the trunk. ‘Maybe one day I’ll start my own business and run it properly since they obviously can’t,’ thought Luhan bitterly as he walked across the yard with his luggage. The grass crunched loudly beneath his feet and the sound frustrated him. Everything was frustrating him. He couldn’t bring himself to find one thing to smile about. All happiness was gone. His happiness resided in Seoul along with his elitist friends and trendy clothes.

 

He hauled his luggage into the house and looked around; his face contorted to a look of disgust. The walls were a dingy off-white color and the carpet was tattered and navy blue in color. The kitchen was unbelievably small, seeming to only be able to accommodate one person at a time. ‘The outside is better than the inside… I didn’t think that was possible,’ thought Luhan spitefully as he made his way to his room.

 

He opened the door to see that his room was much like the living room only his carpet was brown instead. His own bed, which had already been put together by the movers that moved all the bigger furniture here a few days ago, was pushed against the wall to his right. Frowning, he threw down his luggage and plopped down on his bed. Finally realizing how tired he was, Luhan stretched out on his bed and quickly fell asleep all the while hoping that this was one horrible nightmare and when he’d wake up, he’d be back in Seoul. Only, this wasn’t a nightmare and reality was about to kick in – quick.

 

 

 

 

So here we are with Chapter 1! I hope it's okay. (:

xD Our little spoiled brat Lulu keke~ 

Please leave comments to let me know how I'm doing so far and remember to subscribe! ^__^