Simple Happiness

The Black Knight

Background Music

[Tangsan Mount]

Black Knight sat alone on the roof. Under the moonlight, his dark silhouette looked so lonely.

- Hey!

Black Knight looked down and realized that Landlord was calling him. He did not answer.

- Can you bring me up there?

Black Knight silently flied down and took Landlord's hand to pull him up to the roof. Landlord carefully sat down and looked around:

- Well, so this is the secret place you chose to train my people.

- What are you doing here? How could you get in here?

- It's your master. Wow, this place is so good - Landlord said and suddenly bent down to try to hold on coughing but he failed. He coughed so hard and then continued - All those people are trustable, aren't they?

- You looked not well, Sire. Are you alright?

Landlord waved his hand to imply that he's fine. His face was red as if he was in terrible fever.

- Jogeum. It's nothing. So how's everything going?

Black Knight shrugged:

- Absolutely good. Don't worry Sire. They followed my master for years and had learned all the things they could. In a short time, they can part and each one of this group can train other new ones. Please trust me.

Landlord nodded and then coughed again.

- Of course, I trust you.

- You're so tired now, Sire. It's very cold here so please come back.

Landlord sighed and looked up at the dark sky, lowered his voice as if he talked to himself:

- How a simple life like, do you know? I mean, you know, sometimes you just want to wake up with your loved one, open the window to see the sunlight and then have breakfast with her.

Black Knight kept silence, followed his own thoughts. Suddenly, Landlord asked:

- So Eun is not here with you, is she?

Black Knight shook his head, not reply.

- Can you tell me something about her?

- You come here just to ask about So Eun?

Landlord smiled:

- You are like So Eun, always answer me by a question. Well, you can say that. She is the one who works for me, so it's reasonable to know about her, right?

Black Knight turned to look at him a second and then said:

- Her parents died young. Her samchon raised her because he had no kids. And then he died. And now she's alone.

- Really? What's about Jang Hana? I see that the two are so close like sisters.

- So Eun had a sister. Jang Hana looked like her, that's why So Eun always considers Hana as her sister.

- Oh, I see. You seem to know her well, don't you?

- Of course, I do. I've been with her since we're kids.

- So long? - Landlord coughed badly - That's why she always protects you. That's why she always cares about you.

Black Knight sadly repeated:

- Yeah, so long... but...

But Landlord could not hear anything anymore. He fainted in the arms of Black Knight.

o0o

When Landlord woke up, he realised that he was in a simple but pretty room. His body was covered by a thin blanket. He could sense a vague and familiar scent but could not remember where he got it.

- Lord, are you alright?

Landlord just recognised that So Eun was sitting beside him. Her face looked so weary. He looked around and then asked:

- Where am I now? Why are you here? Where is Black Knight?

So Eun smiled at a lot of questions from him. She said gently:

- It's my room, so I'm here. Black Knight could not bring you back to the Castle so he asked me to help. Do you feel better now?

Landlord tried to sit up. Even though he still felt dizzy, he nodded:

- So much better, thank you. It's inconvenient for you to take care of me a whole night.

He looked down when he felt that So Eun hold his arm. Realised his look, she hastily sit back and a little blushed. Landlord smiled and said:

- I'm so sorry but ... I'm hungry. May I...

- Oh... I forgot. Wait me a minute, Sire.

So Eun stood up and walked out quickly. Her cheeks still were pinkish that made Landlord smile again. He watched her for a moment and then looked around the room. It's small but neat and pretty. On a table near the window, he could see a small vase with dry pink flowers. It looked so familiar.

So Eun walked in and in her hands was a tray of foods. The smell of soup was so delicious that made Landlord want to eat immediately.

- It's not good as things in your Castle, Sire. Please forgive me - So Eun timidly said.

- Well, so much better, my lady. Don't be modest like that.

- You're very polite to say so, Sire. Well, so enjoy your meal. Excuse myself.

- What? Are you going?

- Yeah. Do you need anything else?

- Oh, no. I always eat alone in the Castle. Can you... stay here with me? You know, I'm so tired and probably I will be...

So Eun shook her head gently and felt that Landlord now was like a child. She sat down.

- Wow, it's great - Landlord exclaimed - You know, eating a delicious bowl of soup... in a room that full of sunlight... nothing compares...

So Eun smiled. She did not think that a simple thing like this could make him so happy.

- Sire, take medicine please. This herb is good for you.

So Eun said after he finished his meal, and then added when she saw his touching eyes:

- Well, it's not mine. Black Knight brought it last night. He thought that you've worked too hard. You should find some times to relax a bit.

Landlord sighed:

- I wished that I could rest a little.

- Sire, your people waited here all night. You should go back...

Landlord stared at her for a moment and then nodded:

- Yeah, you're right. I should go...

He stood up and suddenly smiled. So Eun was surprised and asked:

- Why are you smiling?

- I feel much better now, but it's not because of his herb. Do you know why?

So Eun shook her head and did not answer. Landlord raised his hand and seemingly wanted to touch her hair but finally, he simply said:

- It's because of your dry flowers.

And perhaps he knew her reaction well, Landlord turned and walked away, leaving So Eun behind with her cheeks blushed as spring apples.