A deal

The Black Knight

Background music

[Gwangji Forest]

The moonlight twinkled on the stream that flowed around the Gwangji forest. On a small bridge, a person in black outfit stood quietly and looked far away.

- You've come?

A warm voice was raised behind him but he did not turn back:

- I heard that you wanted to see me?

- Yeah - Landlord came close to the man in black - You're not fear that it's a trap?

- You're not fear that I will kill you while you're here alone?

- You will not kill me before knowing what I want. I give myself a try.

- Soeun told me that you would not hurt me. I give myself a try.

- Soeun? Oh, her name is Soeun - Landlord smiled - She told you that?

The Black Knight did not answer, now turned to look at Landlord. His eyes were glistening:

- What do you want from me?

- A deal.

- A deal? Is there anything between us that we can compromise?

- Yeah - Landlord looked serious - I've carefully considered your doings in the past few years. The nobles that you robbed are all bad men. That's why I want you to help me to protect my people.

- Protect people? - The Black Knight laughed out loud - The nobles bring you power, but what's benefit you get when protecting commoners like us? It's not that we protect ourselves from time to time, is it?

- You're not wrong. But I want to change that thing. I don't say that I will make aristocrats be equal with commoners but at least, I want to make their lives more comfortable.

The Black Knight stared at Landlord:

- I understand that you want me to stop robbing your nobles, right? What will we get in exchange?

- I will reduce tax for the poor. They can have land to do farming. Allow them to go to school. Rejudge the old unfair cases.

The Black Knight was stunned. Landlord words made him a little confused. This young Landlord's thought were so new. He did not know whether to believe him or not.

- I don't know if you are sincere or not, but I want to try. Pillage is not a good idea, I know that. What you just said makes me think about a stable future of the people and I will not deny right away their chances.

- Good. So we have a deal.

- But if you cannot do what you just said and the people are still oppressed and exploited, you know what I will do.

Landlord smiled and calmly said:

- Of course.

The Black Knight hesitated...

- Say what you want.

- If you do so... you don't care about the noble's reaction, do you?

- I got your point. That's why I have a request.

- A request?

- Yeah. Can you train a secret army for me?

- A secret army?

- I need a group of people who are trained well to be ready to fight. I don't want war but if it happens, I need to prepare. You know, Kang Jinki held power in the Court for a long time.

The Black Knight did not reply immediately. He was deep in thought.

- You don't have to answer right now. I give you some days.

- Why do you believe me? This... This is not a trivial matter.

Landlord smiled and slightly tapped on his shoulder:

- You may don't understand me, but I understand you.

- Ha ha ha, you're so interesting. Alright. I will think about your request.

- When you're clear, tell Soeun to let me know. I will come to see you.

- Soeun? Why Soeun?

- I choose a reliable person - Landlord stared at Black Knight - It's her who is the best choice, isn't it? Why are you so surprised?

- Oh - Black Knight confusedly said - nothing. You can leave a sign here and I will come to see you.

- Why?

- Why what?

- Why don't you want Soeun to be a messenger?

- It's important, so I don't want her to be in danger.

- Do you love her?

- It's a ridiculous question, Sire.

- I will never let her be in danger. Remember that.

Landlord definitely said and did not care Black Knight's reaction, he turned and walked away.