An odd person

The Black Knight

Background Music

[Garden in the Castle]

Soeun was taken to the Garden in the Castle to see Landlord. She walked on the cobbled path under the shade of giant trees. Above her, pink flowers bloomed beautifully. She thought that she was lost in the fairy land.

Landlord now was reading under an oak tree. The sunlight shined on his whole body. He did not wear hat so she could see clearly his face. He looked so handsome and manly.

- Why are you still standing there?

He asked but still looked down on the book. Soeun startled and her face was red a little. She did not answer, came close to him and bowed.

- Did you read this book?

She glanced at the cover of the book in his hand. It's The Art of the War written by Sun Tzu. She shook her head:

- What makes you think that a frail girl like me can read such a book?

He looked up and smiled:

- So a frail girl like you can walk around with me now?

- If you like, Sire.

Landlord stood up, signaled to the servants not to follow him and then slowly walked forward. Soeun quietly was behind him. When they reached to the bridge across the canal, Landlord stopped and looked down the fishes swimming below the water. Soeun approached and stood next to him.

- Why did you say nothing?

- You're quiet too, aren't you?

Landlord looked at her and smiled:

- You always answer me by a question.

Soeun smiled also. In the sunlight, her fresh and radiant face was so beautiful. In a moment, Landlord stunned at her beauty. He quickly turned away and tried to calm down his thumping heartbeat.

- So Black Knight has decided, right?

- Yeah, Sire. He will do what you request. But...

- But? 

- But after you fulfill your promises about the tax, unfair cases and other things.

Landlord raised his hand to take a flower and gave it to her:

- For you.

Soeun stood still. He always did something strange that made her surprised. It took a few moments until she took the flower and said:

- Thank you. 

- Alright. Tell him that I accept. After announcing the new policies, tell him to see me at the usual place.

- Yes, I will. Sir...

- Do you have something to ask me?

Soeun hesitated. Looking at Landlord who was now walking slowly ahead and his serious face made her feel worried.

- Did you anticipate the power of opposite side nobles?

- What?

- The new policies that you intended to announce will make the Court in shock. Even if the Black Knight help you to train your people, it's not safe if you're alone...

- So do you have any plan?

- I can't say that it's a plan, but I believe that there are a lot of nobles who have new thoughts like you. If they were persuaded ...

Landlord listened to her attentively. His face was so serious.

- If they support your new policies, I think Kang Jinki and his people will not have a chance to fight back. At that time...

- Soeun! Can I call you Soeun?

Soeun was displeased. Even though they were talking about important matters, she was surprised that he could say something unrelated.

- You did not care about what I said.

- Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that we still did not introduce ourselves officially - Her pouted face was so cute that made him smile - Actually, you know what, all the new policies that I told you were not new in my mind at all. I thought of those long time ago.

He paused a moment and his face suddenly looked so sad:

- During my father's life, his health was not good and he somewhat was spineless. That's why Kang Jinki could hold the power of the Court. Even though, my father quietly had me trained to prepare for the future.

He smiled and his eyes looked so tender when he recalled the old memories about his father:

- Eventually, as you see, no one know exactly who I am. They all considered me as a shy young Landlord and a bookworm.

Soeun looked up at him. She was touched that he could confide things so important to her. She did not know why but just wanted to be close to him, to hold his hand to encourage him, but at last, she simply said:

- Thank you!

Landlord turned to look at her. It seemed that he understood why she said those words. He smiled:

- You seem to be relaxed, don't you? Don't worry about me.

Soeun was going to say that she's not worried about him, but Landlord raised his hand to stop her:

- Come on. Sometimes, you don't have to say what you think. When Jang Hana has information, come to tell me.

- Me?

- If not you, do you think anyone will do?

- But... if... If he begins to train your people, I think...

- You're busy to support him? - Landlord stopped walking. His voice became coldly.

She did not know how to answer, just quietly lowered her head.

- It's alright, if you don't want, I will not force you - Landlord softened his voice and turned to walk on - it's just... you're the one I trust.

Soeun still stood there. This person made her admire more and more and it seemed that she could not insist his attraction. She shook her head and tried to manage her thought but eventually she failed.

When the two were back to the reading place, Soeun said:

- I will bring information as soon as possible. Excuse myself.

She turned and walked away as quick as she could. She hoped that Landlord did not realize her confusion and changes in her thought of him.

If she looked back, she would see Landlord smiling and his eyes were so tender.

If she walked slowly, she could hear the words that he whispered to himself “Such a lovely paboo lady”.