Tea

The Black Knight

Background music

[The Castle]

The place where Landlord drank tea was a large yard at the second floor of the Castle. From here, they could watch the beautiful view of the canal and gardens. Soeun carefully observed the beautiful cup. It made of a kind of delicate porcelain. It's thin and so transparent that Soeun could see the color of tea inside. The decorated pattern outside the cup was so elegant and fine. And it obviously made by hand.

Soeun held the cup close to her nose. Its odor was so special that made her feel cozy. She closed her eyes and took a small sip. She tasted bitter at first and then it became sweet in . Soeun suddenly smiled. She wondered that how tea could make her soul comfortable like this.

- Are you smiling?

Soeun startled and looked up. She a little blushed before his staring eyes. She did not answer but asked:

- Why do you want to meet the Black Knight?

- What do you think?

- Not to drink tea with him, right?

- If not, you definitely don't let me see him?

Soeun looked right at his eyes, replied:

- Absolutely not! Even if I knew Black Knight, I would not sacrifice him.

Landlord smiled, not angry at all:

- Sacrifice? You used a harsh word.

He stood up and turned his back to her, looked at the mountains that far away under the moonlight.

- I don't intend to hurt him, don't worry. I just want to know about the person who's always against us. If my people consider him a hero, then I'm a cruel Lord, am not I?

Soeun said nothing. What he just said made her surprised. The way he thought and questioned was exceptional. Soeun looked up and she just saw his back. His wide shoulders and back, his proudly pose made him look so gorgeous.

The young Landlord just got the crown recently. His father inherently was a spineless Landlord and his health was not good. That's why Kang Jinki, the most powerful person only after the Landlord, held the power of the Court. Soeun partly was curious and partly doubt as well at this young Landlord. He was a liar or he's a good King? She could not answer right now.

- You don't believe me, right?

Landlord suddenly asked. He still turned his back to her. Soeun thought a moment and then replied:

- There are bad men and also good men in your society. We're commoners but our brains were not useless. Your question should be...

- What can I do to make you believe me? - Landlord turned back to look at her.

Soeun was perplexed. As if Landlord could read her mind. His eyes were so sincere and serious. She answered:

- If you can do things like him.

- Black Knight?

She nodded.

- You mean if I rob somebody, you will believe me?

Soeun smiled, not replied. She did not think that he was so humorous. He squinted his eyes and suddenly asked:

- You... You love him, right?

Soeun was confused again. What the hell was going on? She wondered.

- Loving him or not is not your business.

- It is.

- How?

Landlord kept silent. Soeun felt regret right after asking. She wished the land under her feet had a hole then she could fall down and did not have to face him. The atmosphere was quiet ridiculously. It's lucky that a servant walked in and said:

- Sire, Lady Jang Hana asks to see you.

Soeun surprisedly asked:

- Jang Hana?

- Bring her in! - Landlord requested. He seemed to sure that Jang Hana would come.

Soeun did not think that Hana was so impatient. She should wait a little longer.

- Onnie!

Hana hastily got close and held her hands:

- Are you alright? He did not do anything bad, huh?

- Of course not. I told you to wait me, why are you here?

- I can't let you here alone with him - Hana whispered.

Landlord was quietly watching the two and smiled.

- But... I'm alright, you see. He did not do anything. We're just... drinking tea.

- Tea?

Landlord smiled:

- Do you want to know why?

Soeun looked at him and he looked back at her:

- It's just because I have nothing to do while waiting Lady Jang to come.

A disappointed expression appeared on Soeun's face. Landlord noticed that while staring at her.

- I come because I'm so worried about her. Sire, I truly don't know how to contact Black Knight - Hana said.

- I know that - Landlord nodded.

- What?

- I know that your friend, this Lady, can help me to meet the Black Knight.

- So why did you not use me as the hostage instead? It would not waste your time, right? - Hana sharply asked.

Landlord smiled again and then he got close to Soeun and whispered in her ear:

- It's just because I want to drink tea with you.

Soeun blushed. She really did not know how to behave to this odd Landlord.

He stepped back and then seriously said:

- Tell your Black Knight to see me tomorrow - he paused and then added - if you want Lady Jang to be back safely.