Memory of a dead lady

The Black Knight

Background Music

 

[Kang Jinki House]

 

- Arggg... That damn kid... I was so angry to kill him at once...

- Dae-gam, please do something. Reducing tax for the poor. Rejudging old cases. Omo... Omo... my head... It's ridiculous Sir. We can't stay still to see him doing stupid things, Sir.

Kang Jinki gritted his teeth and clenched his hand on the table:

- That damn kid just got the crown but betrayed us immediately. Park Dae-han, what were your people doing? How could you know nothing while he had allied to those bookworms for a long time?

- Dae-gam, he did it quietly and secretly indeed, you know. I've never thought that before taking the crown, he had prepared everything like that, Sir.

- Prepared? Such nonsense. I don't think that I can't make this damn kid regret.

- Dae-gam, we kill him, right? - Choi Pilho lowered his voice.

- Kill him? He just announced his new policies and those dirty commoners followed him as ants. If we kill him now, it's so dangerous to our plan - Park Sungjae protested.

- So what will you do? - Choi Pilho ironically asked - Or should we just accept his policies and obediently sacrifice our people after he rejudge our old cases?

- Dae-gam, please listen to me. At least this time, we have a benefit that the Black Knight will not rob our nobles anymore.

- You're partly right - Kang Jinki thoughtfully said - if kill him right now, I'm afraid that the mob will rebel. If so, it's harder for us to take over the crown. I think...

- Please say, Sir.

- I think temporarily we should wait a little bit first to consider the situation - Kang Jinki paused a moment and then continued - I'm curious that what the Black Knight will do.

- Black Knight? How is he involved?

- He always robbed our nobles to give to the poor, you know. People considered him as their hero. But now, when that damn kid changed his policies, the people will admire him instead of Black Knight. What will he do?

- You mean we can use this chance to have the Black Knight at our side?

- Actually, we don't know Black Knight yet. Even the young Landlord is the same. We can't despise.

- You're absolutely right, Sir. Please don't worry. Our people will investigate thoroughly.

- Park Dae-han, how can we not be worry when everything happens under your nose but you know nothing?

- You...

- Enough, two of you. Park Dae-han, don't make me disappointed. This time, tell your people do it well if they still want to eat.

- Yeah, I understood, Sir.

- Leave now. Choi Dae-han, stay here a moment. I have something to ask.

- Yes, Dae-gam, please tell me what bothers you?

- Do you still watch Jang Hana for me?

- Yes, Sir. And my people reported that she met the young Landlord.

- When? - Kang Jinki frowned - Why did she meet him?

- Couple days ago, Sir. But because we did not know the reason yet, then I couldn't report it to you. I'm so sorry.

- Huh - Kang Jinki raised his voice that made Choi Pilho shrink his shoulders - you're useless. It's just a tiny thing but you couldn't handle it. Anything else?

- Sir... After that day, she never meets him again and everything she does is as usual. Nothing special.

Kang Jinki kept silence. He wondered why she met the young Landlord. It not seemed that he fell in love with her after all. Or it was? Kang Jinki clenched his fist. He'd never imagined that someday, the young Landlord could be a threat that made him feel uncertain and stressed like this.

Choi Pilho hesitatedly said with shifty eyes:

- Sir, if you want, I...

- Shut up - Kang Jinki frowned - if your dirty hand touches on her one hair, you know what I will do to you.

- Dae-gam - Choi Pilho fawned - you know that I don't dare. If not thanked to you, how Jang Hana could live such a comfortable life like this. Don't worry, Sir. In this King City, they only admire her from a far and always consider her as a Goddess. No one dare to come close to her.

- Huh, you talk well. Tell her that I will meet her after tonight performance.

- I understand Sir. Excuse myself.

o0o

Jang Hana came close to the table where Kang Jinki still sat there and quietly drank wine. She bowed with respect and said:

- Dae-gam. You want to see me?

Kang Jinki looked up and smiled. His face suddenly was so tender at the moment he saw her.

- Yeah, Jang Hana. Sit down.

Hana hesitated. This is the first time he looked so serious like this.

- Don't worry, my lady. I just want to spend some moments with you today.

- What bothers you, Dae-gam?

- Oh, you care about me now, my lady? - Kang Jinki smiled again - It's alright, dear. It's alright.

- But it's not alright at all, Sir. You've never been like this.

Kang Jinki sighed and took a sip of wine.

- Well, let's see. What do you think?

Hana watched his face for a moment and then answered:

- If you imply the young Landlord and the reason why I met him that day, then ask me directly Sir.

- Oh, you're so smart, my lady. Of course I want to know why. But if you don't want to talk about it, I will not force you.

Hana smiled. She did not know why he always treated her so well and did nothing that made her displeased. She softly said:

- Dae-gam, it's nothing special. He wanted me to teach him how to play Gayageum. He's intelligent so it took only a day that he could play it perfectly.

- Oh - Kang Jinki was surprised. He could not understand. The Landlord wanted to play Gayageum? It's unbelievable. Or he's the most ridiculous one in this world?

- It's true, Sir. You believe me, right?

- Of course, my lady. It's so strange but I believe you. Alright, you should go back. It's hard for you today.

- Thank you Sir. Please don't drink too much. It's not good for your health.

- I know it, dear.

Kang Jinki smiled and watched her leaving. 5 years ago, when he saw her the first time in Gisaeng House, she's totally not famous as now. He was surprised that he did not recognise her presence there before. Later, he sent people to investigate and knew that she was a daughter of a rich businessman in Qing. After being cheated by a friend, he lost all of his properties and died of heart-attack. Hana and her mother were back to hometown and lived in the Gisaeng House since then.

From the moment seeing her, Kang Jinki was the one who always cared about her and quietly protected her.

Actually, it's not because of the magic sound of her Gayageum. Everyone in this King City admired it but NOT him.

What made him admire was her face. The face reminded him of a dead lady.