Hostage

The Black Knight

Background music

[Gisaeng House] 

The large Beauty Hall now was full of the nobles at the luxury tables. They are surrounded by the beautiful girls who were pouring wine.

At the west side of the Hall was a small stage with a thin curtain around that people could only see vague decorated patterns behind it . Today was a special day in the realm because the old Landlord just died and his only son was the new successor. Aristocrats gathered in small groups to discuss. It seemed that they still did not know what side to choose to support this time . The young Landlord still remained a mystery because even though he was the only son, they rarely saw him in person, mostly saw from afar at the court. So everywhere, from aristocrats to commoners, no one could anticipate their future would be bright or dark.

The bell was ringing and a beautiful figure gracefully walked in the Hall that attracting the attention of the aristocrats. They stopped gossiping, staring at the stage and impatiently waiting for the performance that would make them feel relaxed. Her name was Jang Hana.

Jang Hana was the most famous beauty in the King City. She was not quite courtesan. She just played Gayageum (an old instrument with 12 strings). Her Gayageum had a magic sound that once people heard it, they longed for hearing it more and more. Today was no exception. All seemed to be trapped in the space of the Beauty Hall, completely isolated from the outside world. Maybe so, no one paid attention to the presence of a person who was in black and the face was covered by a black cloth. This person perched on a tree branch, leaned on the trunk and seemed to be relaxed as if sitting on a silk cushion. His glistening eyes, the only thing exposed on his face, sometimes looked around to observe the far side.

When Jang Hana stopped playing Gayageum, all the guests were still dreamy. Because of wine or music or both, no one could know. She quietly bowed as usual and left the stage. Before walking away, she looked up at the tree. The man in black now disappeared.

Hana was back to her room after the performance. She realised that someone waiting for her. She wore an elegant blue hanbok, her braided hair was put in front that exposed her pretty white nape. She looked so beautiful even from behind.

- Soeun! - Hana happily shouted.

- Onnie!

- Why are you here at this hour?

- I want to say goodbye to you.

- Goodbye?

- Yeah, tomorrow, I will go to Qing. It takes some times to see you again.

Hana held Soeun's hands, tenderly said:

- You should take care yourself.

- You too, when I'm not here.

- Don't worry about me... - Hana hesitated and then continued - you go with him, right?

Soeun did not answer yet then a servant said from outside:

- Agassi, Landlord comes to see you.

- Landlord? - Soeun surprisedly asked - what did you do, onnie?

Hana shook her head:

- Stay here with me, Soeun ah - and then asked the servant - him in.

Soeun nervously touched the silk coat in her hand. Meeting Landlord was not a good idea right now but she could not let Hana be here with him alone.

An young gentle man in a luxury outfit came in. Soeun and Hana bowed with respect until the man sat down.

- Sit down, ladies.

- Mianhe, Sire. How could we have the honor to see you at this hour?

Landlord now looked up at the girls. His eyes gazed at Soeun a little longer and then calmly said:

- I want to meet the Black Knight.

- Black Knight? - Hana glanced at Soeun and then nervously asked.

- Yeah. I know that you can arrange a meeting for me.

- But... but... I... How can I?

Landlord smiled, twisting the fan in his hand and then looked at Hana:

- In the past 5 years, many of my nobles were robbed. Black Knights took their properties and gave to the poor. Those nobles all were in your performances when the robbery took place. What do you think?

- Sir, all the nobles in this realm usually come to my performance. Maybe I should be responsible for all the robberies, shouldn't I?

Landlord smiled again calmly, not angry at her harsh words at all. He stood up and said:

- If so, I have to invite your friend to come with me.

Soeun and Hana were all surprised. They could not understood what he meant.

- I want to invite this lady to my castle - He patiently said again.

- Sire... she... we... we have nothing to do with Black Knight.

Soeun stepped forward, held Hana's arm and smiled:

- Onnie, it's alright. I will go.

Landlord looked at her a moment and then walked away. At once, two men, perhaps his bodyguards, came in and politely bowed and said:

- Agassi, please ...

- Soeun - Hana exclaimed but Soeun raised her hand to stop her, smiled:

- I know what to do, onnie. Anyway... - She giggled - You know, we can not have another chance to visit the Castle, right?

- But...

Soeun tapped on Hana's shoulder and then followed the bodyguards. When she got outside, she was surprised to see the young Landlord still standing there, waiting for her. He was quietly staring at the sky and his appearance was so charming.

- Sire...

- Black Knight... what do you think about him?

Soeun did not answer immediately. Black Knight obviously did not bring anything good to the nobles at all.

- I admired him - Soeun simply said.

- Really? - Landlord turned to look at her. His gaze seemed to be a little strange and then he quickly turned away - Let's go.

The Castle was located on the Hill. From 4 forts of the Castle, the guards could observe a vast area. The carriage stopped at the gate and a bridge over a canal. The front was probably the main Hall of the Castle, where Landlord held meetings with noblemen and his guests. The lawns and the garden was so splendid under the lights.

Landlord was pleased when he saw impressive expression on Soeun's face.

- Do you mind to have a cup of tea with me?

Soeun stood still. His voice was so tender that made her not understand.

- Why? Do you mind?

Soeun shook her head:

- No. It's just...

Landlord raised his eyebrows and waited.

- You always treat your hostage like this?

- No - He definitely answered - Just you.

And then he turned to walk in to the Hall, left Soeun totally clueless behind.