Master and Father

The Black Knight

Background Music

[Gwangji Pagoda]

So Eun stood still at the Gate of the Pagoda. She tried her best not to cry but tears were still well-up in her eyes. For the past 10 years, this was a home for her when she was left alone in this world. Winter. No relatives. No home. No food. And she was 10 back then. Now Gwangji Pagoda became more attached to her because it was build by her father with all of his heart.

So Eun looked up at the curve black roof of the Gate under the shade of linden, she suddenly felt that this place was so quiet and solitude.

Hana impatiently was back and forth at the front yard of the Pagoda when she saw So Eun standing outside. She rushed out and asked:

- So Eun ah, are you alright? I'm so worry about you then I've come here. Ok Man said...

Hana paused when she saw tears falling from So Eun's eyes. She froze and then exclaimed:

- What... what happened? Why are you crying?

So Eun did not answer yet but Hana saw Landlord' people carrying the Monk to the yard.

- Great Monk - Hana cried - He...

So Eun lightly shook her head. Hana came close to So Eun.

- He's my father, onnie. He's my father!

Hana could not understand at once what So Eun just said but after she got it, she held So Eun tightly in her arms.

- I'm here, dear. I'm right here.

So Eun burst into tears on Hana's shoulder. She had tried to control her feelings but now, even though in front of Landlord and his people, she did not want to hold it anymore.

o0o

So Eun quietly kneed down in front of her father' tomb. The late acknowledgement made her heart hurt deeply. Even though she had always treated him respectfully, she still regreted that she could not have time to take care of him as a real father.

Thinking of his try to hide his feelings because of the promise he made to her samchon, thinking of the sorrow and regret that tormented him but could not share with anyone, she sobbed. She blamed herself that she had never wondered why he treated her so well. She just received it naturally.

Suddenly, a lot of memories of their first meeting 10 years ago came back to her mind so clearly.

[flash back] 

- Hey, kid, are you alright?

So Eun looked up. Through the tears, she realised a monk who was now looking at her with a tender smile. She shook her head and did not answer.

- Why are you crying?

So Eun looked at him again. She could feel the warmth in his eyes then suddenly felt safe. At that moment, a sound came from her stomach. So Eun was blushed with shame. She pretended to wipe her tears to hide her red face. Her dirty hands begrimed her chubby face and made her look like a child beggar. The Monk rubbed her head and then took a bread from his bag, cut it into two pieces and gave to her:

- For you. Don't be shy.

After saying that, he sat down beside So Eun and looked at the red leaves on the trees around them while slowly eating bread.

So Eun was timid at first but then because of hunger, she ate the bread in a second. The Monk said nothing, just took out a long bag and said:

- There's water inside. Drink it.

So Eun was grateful. Since her samchon died, the Monk was the first person she met treated her kindly. In a person' life, sometimes there were some scary turning points. And that kind of point made So Eun, who always lived a sweet life, suddenly became a homeless kid. Even how strong and brave she was, she was still at 10. Acquainting a person like the Monk, she couldn't help but consider him as her savior.

- Great Monk, are you living in the King City?

- Yeah. You're looking for someone?

- Yes - So Eun happily said - My samchon told us to find a man named Kim Sun Jae.

- Kim Sun Jae? - The Monk surprisingly exclaimed.

- You know him?

- May be. But where is he? What does he do?

- I only know that he lived in Gwangji Pagoda. I've come there to find him but he's absent.

- Who is your samchon? What's your name? - The Monk suddenly held her shoulder tightly.

So Eun was so surprised at his impatience but she still replied:

- My samchon is Park Chung Hae. And mine is Kim So Eun.

- Kim So Eun? - The Monk uttered - but... but you're a boy.

So Eun was dumb in a few minutes and then she remembered that she wore like a boy now, she answered:

- Oh, I'm a girl. Because of my safeness, onnie asked me to disguised like this. You didn't answer me yet. Do you know Kim Sun Jae?

- It's me that you looked for - The Monk said shortly but his eyes were full of tears. He took her hand and uttered - finally I found you. Finally. So Eun ah.

So Eun was not less happier. Eventually the one she looked for now appeared right in front of her with no effort. This luck made her suddenly cry.

- You're Kim Sun Jae? Is it you truly? Finding you was so hard, you know?

- I'm so sorry, dear, for making you suffered a lot. If I've known it earlier... It's my fault. I went to your home in Chung Sang to find you but no one there anymore. Some villagers told me that you and your sister had gone to the King City already. Then I hurriedly was back here - He paused and then looked around - But So Eun ah, why are you here alone? Where is your sister?

So Eun held the Monk and cried:

- She's dead, Great Monk.

- Dead? - The Monk was surprised - Don't cry, dear. Now tell me everything. Why did you come to King City? Why she was dead?

So Eun stopped crying and then answered:

- Samchon had waited so long but you hadn't come - So Eun paused when she saw the Monk shed tears but he motioned her to continue - He died suddenly, earlier than he had expected. All the servants helped me to organise his funeral and then they left for their hometown. Samchon gave them some money before he died. Only sister, who was raised by samchon since she's a child, stayed to take care of me. She was an orphan and had no where to go, so samchon wanted two of us to go with you.

- I knew that. Your samchon told me about your onnie in his letter. I had left the Pagoda for some works and come late so... - The Monk paused a moment - ... and then?

- Samchon told us to wait and we did. But you haven't come. Onnie told me that we should go to the King City to find you instead of waiting desperatedly. Then a villager helped us to get on a boat to the King City. When we're here, we still didn't know where to go, then we saw a group of people who wore luxury clothes. Some servants carried a palaquin and there's a man on it. He seemed to have a high position in the City. Everyone around us was kneeing down when those people passed by. Suddenly the man on the palaquin asked to stop and then his butler came to us and told onnie to meet the noble man. Onnie told me to sit there and asked me not to do anything in any circumstance. After that, I saw onnie standing in front of the noble man. He spoke something and she shook her head, looked like she protested him. And finally, they took her with them. I called out and begged people around to help but they quietly shook their head and left. No one did anything. I ran after those people to a big and beautiful house. I tried to remember its location. Then I asked people the way to Gwangji Pagoda, hoping that you could help me, but they told me that you're absent and they didn't know when you're back.

The Monk felt like each word she said made a hole in his heart. He had never been on time. Even in the past or now.

- I was hopeless and scared - So Eun continued - and I was so worry about onnie also. For months, I wandered around to seek foods and also tried to find anything about onnie but I failed.  And then yesterday, I just knew that she was dead. I heard some maids saying that because she didn't want to be his concubine so... they killed her ... - So Eun sobbed and her whole body was shaking - Those dirty people... killed my onnie.

The Monk held So Eun in his arms. Until she stopped sobbing, he wiped her tears and then said:

- So Eun ah, do you want me to be your master?

- What master means?

- It means that I will teach you kungfu.

- Kungfu?

So Eun inherently was a soft girl. If she heard this kind of request before, she absolutely never accepted. But now she knew that life was so hard, even in a short time, it made her mind change. She could not be so fragile. She had to know how to protect herself at least. With these thoughts, she kneed down and bowed:

- Master!

[end flash back] 

A warm hand put on her shoulder. So Eun wiped her tears and then looked up. It's Landlord. So Eun tried to stand up but her legs were numb. She staggered and almost fell down but Landlord immediately held her in his strong arms.

- Thank you - So Eun sadly said.

- You looked so tired. Come back and rest a bit.

- I'm fine. Don't worry about me.

Landlord was a little displeased at her saying but he just sighed:

- I know that you want to be alone now. I just...

So Eun felt guilty. Because of her, he defied dangers to come there to rescue her. She even not thanked him officially yet. So Eun sat down on a branch of a tree nearby and then tenderly said:

- Can you sit here with me for a while?

Landlord sat down beside her and kept silence. So Eun looked at the horizon in front of her. The sun was rising up behind the mountains afar.

- How did you know I was there? - She suddenly asked.

- I received a letter - He replied shortly.

- Did you know that it's so dangerous? Why did you come alone?

- I know. But I couldn't think much back then. There's only one thing I cared about was your safeness.

So Eun lowered her head, said sofly:

- But you should bring your guard. If my father hadn't come, then you would be...

So Eun didn't finish her sentence but Landlord understood. When he received that letter, he already knew that it's not such a simple exchange request. It's clear that the person who was behind this wanted his life, not her. There were a lot of men who wanted him to die but his feelings for So Eun was not the thing that everyone could know. Who could use this to harm him?

In Landlord' mind, since So Eun was rescued from dangers, he continuously wondered if what happened this time was related to Black Knight? Was it Black Knight who trapped them? How could Black Knight sacrifice So Eun to kill him? He wanted to ask So Eun but perhaps it's not the right time to talk about it. So he simply said:

- I was afraid that they could hurt you if I didn't come alone.

So Eun looked up and stared at Landlord. His feelings always were straight and too obvious that she could ignore. At a moment, she just wanted to hold him but eventually, she coldly said:

- It's not worthy, Sire... You're the King and your life was so precious. Why were you so thoughtless?

- You say that rescuing you was thoughtless? - Landlord was trying his best to not be angry, but he still raised his voice.

So Eun was silent. She didn't want to explain. She just thought, it seemed that everyone beside her got the bad end. Her onnie. Her father. And Landlord, who almost lost his life just because of her.

Landlord watched So Eun and knew her feelings well. He regreted and seemingly wanted to hold her hand but finally, he didn't. The two sat there quietly. Suddenly, a close guard of Landlord rushed in and hesitated:

- My Lord!

- What's up?

The guard turned to look at So Eun but Landlord nodded:

- Say it.

So Eun raised her hand to stop him and stood up:

- It's alright. I should go in. Please take care of your works first.

Landlord nodded and then tenderly said:

- So rest a bit, huh. See you tomorrow.

Landlord looked at the guard when So Eun was disappeared. He commanded:

- Report it, ppalli...

- Sire, Black Knight robbed our Song Dae-han' house last night.