Secret love

The Black Knight

Background Music

[Alley in the King City]

When Hana walked out the Gate of the Castle, she hesitatedly turned to look back. This young Landlord was an odd man that made her so confused. He let her go then she knew that he had met the Black Knight. Thought back of his words, she did not understand what was going on.

[flash back]

- Jang Hana, I have one thing to ask you to do for me.

- Sire, please tell me. If I can...

- Of course you can. Tell your people to record everything they hear from the nobles who come to your performances. 

- All?

- All. Things that you think important. Their thoughts, loyalty, dissatisfaction,  their attitude to my policies... 

- Do you want me to be your spy?

- Why do you use a word like that? I just want to understand my people. If I don't know what they are thinking and what they want, how can I govern them?

- Can I say no?

- You can. But I'm sure that after talking with Black Knight, you definitely will do it.

- Black Knight?

- He's waiting for you outside, somewhere, I guess.

[end flash back]

Hana looked around. Landlord told her that Black Knight came to her. She wondered where he was now.

- Jang Hana. I'm here.

The Black Knight walked out from the darkness. Hana felt her heart thumping madly. She always was nervous whenever be with him.

- You're waiting for me?

The Black Knight looked up at the Castle and then lightly tapped on her shoulder, said:

- Let's go.

Hana quietly walked beside him. She touched her shoulder where his hand just tapped on, her heart fluttered.

- Will you go to Qing tomorrow with Soeun?

- No.

- Why?

- Me and Landlord just had a deal.

- A deal? What do you mean?

- I will not rob and he will announce some new policies that are better for the people.

- Do you believe him?

- I want to try. It's nothing to lose.

- Well, Landlord wanted me to do one thing for him.

- What is it?

- He told me to spy on the nobles who attended my performances, remember everything important and then report to him.

- Really?

- He also told me that after talking to you, I would definitely do it for him.

- So do it.

- You mean it?

He stopped and turned to look at her:

- Landlord is the one who has new thoughts. Perhaps, the less he appears and everything about him so mysterious is intentional. This person is so intelligent and interesting.

Under the black cover cloth, Hana felt that he was smiling.

- If you say so - Hana looked up - I will.

Black Knight put his hand on her shoulder, tenderly said:

- I'm sorry to put you in danger. If something strange happens, don't try too hard, alaso?

Hana felt touched:

- Don't worry about me. It's nothing compare to your works.

- No! I can't do such many things without you. I'm really thankful.

- You saved my life once. I... I... haven't got any chance to pay back. Why do you say those polite words?

- Oh, it's long time ago when we're kids. Do you want to pay back your whole life?

Hana blushed because of his words. As if he could read what's in her mind and her heart. It's lucky that he turned away. She quietly walked close to him, not know what to say but he suddenly said:

- I appreciate that you always love and take care of Soeun for me. It's enough to pay back, you know.

Hana stopped that made the Black Knight wearily said:

- What's up?

- What did you mean?

He did not understand, bewilderedly asked:

- I can't get your point.

- You meant that if I want to pay back, loving your Soeun is enough, right?

- Yeah.

- Do you... do you love her?

- Oh - The Black Knight sighed - I heard this question two times tonight. Well, Gisaeng House is here, I can't stay longer. See you later.

At a moment, he disappeared. Hana just heard the sound of his clothes flying in the wind.

Hana stood there quietly, looking back the long alley under the moonlight. Her eyes were full of tears. "See you later". He always said those words every time.

If she had to admit, coming to the Castle this time was just partly because of Soeun. The most thing she wanted was that Black Knight would come to see Landlord because of her. She wanted to see that he cared about her. Eventually, even though he had come, he still made her disappointed.

She suddenly felt jealous with Soeun. She had lived with him since they were kids. They always so close that Soeun knew everything about him. She knew what he did, where he'd been. She could meet him whenever she wanted.

Hana did not know Soeun's feeling. Sometimes she tried to ask her but then she kept silent. She always reassured herself that they were like brother and sister. Just like that.

The truth?

If she really wanted to know?