Who are they?

The Faithful Friends

“Why didn’t L call me ‘noona’? Why did Woohyun assume me as his dongsaeng when we’re at the same age? Who were they in the past?” These were the questions that are wandering in your head. After washing your face a little bit, you went back to Sunggyu and Dongwoo’s room.

“Where have you been?” asked Woohyun.

“The toilet. Why?”

“Nothing.”

“Sunggyu oppa, Dongwoo oppa, I want to go back clean myself. I’ll come back later and spend the night with you,” you told them.

“You don’t have to. One of them can stay here,” said Dongwoo.

“Yeah, hyung’s right. I’ll take noona’s place today. Just go home and rest,” said Sungjong.

“Arasseo. Komawo, Sungjong-ah. Oppas, I’ll leave first, okay. Take care,” you said and left. When you’re at the elevator, Hoya came running towards you.

“I’ll send you home,” he said.

“Okay,” you said.

Your journey home was very quiet. You kept looking out window.

“~~-ah, kwaenchana? You look weird,” asked Hoya.

“Kwaenchana,” you replied.

“Is there anything that’s bothering you?” he asked.

“Actually, yes, but I don’t think you can tell me about it,” you answered.

“What is it?”

“Who are you guys? Or to be exact, who WERE you guys?” Your question caused Hoya to suddenly stop the car.

“Why did you ask?” asked Hoya loudly.

“Yah! Do you have to shout like that?” you said angrily.

“Okay, okay, mianhae,” he apologised.

“So, who were you?” you asked again. Hoya took a deep breath.

“I don’t know if I can tell you this,” he said. You waited. “Actually, we are not exactly who you think we are. We’re…not good guys. We have a dark background, each and every one of us.”

“What kind of background?”

“We used to be a gang, all of us. Our gang was called Infinite. Fighting and hitting people was our job. We also had another gang that could back us up. They were called as ZE:A. They’re our seniors, and also the closest gang to us. Even though they didn’t want us to quit, they still helped us to change our identity. We changed our age so that we could get into school and recover all the knowledge that we’ve left behind. Sungjong, who’s the maknae among us, is actually three years older than you,” Hoya ended his story. He looked at you. “Are you angry?”

“I want to be angry, but since you still take care of me even when you already know that I lied to you, I think I can tolerate this,” you said. Hoya hugged you.

“Komawo, ~~-ah,” he said happily. You pushed him away from you. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“It feels weird now that I know you’re a gangster,” you said. He frowned. You smiled then hugged his arm. “Mianhae, oppa,” you said cutely. He looked at you.

“Oppa?” he asked.

“I’ll call you oppa from now since you’re 5 years older than me,” you answered.

“Aish, don’t even mention it. I hate being old,” he said.

“I love it. Now I have 7 oppas instead of 2. The best thing is, I’m the maknae.  Yahoo!!!” you said happily. Hoya smiled and pinched your cheek.

“Aigoo, you’re so cute. I think you finally beat Sungjong and Woohyun,” he praised. You gave him your cutest smile.

 

*

You went to visit Sunggyu and Dongwoo on the next day. Sungjong was asleep on the couch when you arrived. You tickled him with your handkerchief. Sunggyu and Dongwoo covered their mouths to control their laughter.

“Oppa!!!” you screamed next to his ear. He jerked awake.

“Noona, why did you do that?” asked Sungjong, rubbing his chest.

“Just stop calling me ‘noona’ will you?” you said.

“What? But why?”

“Hoya oppa had told me everything yesterday. So, you can stop calling me that.”

“Wait, if you knew everything, then why you aren’t angry with us?” asked Dongwoo.

“Since you can forgive me when I lied to you about my identity, I think I should do the same thing,” you answered.

“But you’re background is different from us. How can you just forgive us like that?” asked Sunggyu.

“Because I love each and every one of you and I don’t want to lose you. I didn’t become your friend because of who you are, but because of your kindness and sincerity. Besides, even if you used to be a group of gangsters, you’ve never anything that could harm me. So, why should I be mad at you?” you told them your reasons. None of them said anything. At that moment, Woohyun and L entered.

“What’s with the tense atmosphere?” asked L.

“ ~~ already know about us,” Sungjong answered. Woohyun looked at you.

“How did you know?” he asked.

“Well, I heard your conversation with L oppa yesterday, so I really wanted to know the answer. I asked Hoya oppa about it, and he told me,” you answered.

“Hoya, you’re so dead,” said Woohyun. You grabbed his arm.

“Don’t hurt Hoya oppa. I was the one made him say it. Please, Woohyun oppa,” you said. You looked at him him a pitiful look. He sighed.

“You’re lucky that I love you, you know that?” he finally said. You smiled.

“It’s weird to hear her call me ‘oppa’,” said L quietly.

“That’s what I’ll call you from now, so, you have to deal with it,” you told him.

“Aren’t you afraid to know we’re ex-gangsters?” asked Dongwoo with a smirk. You folded your arms.

“Don’t even think about it. The only thing that I really scared of is losing all of you and my family,” you answered. Sungjong gave you a back hug.

“Thank you for coming into our lives, ~~-ah,” he said.

“Yeah, we really change ourselves because of you, so, thanks,” Woohyun added.

“You will always be our baby sister,” said Sunggyu. That day had become another ‘The best day in your life’.