Chapter 2 - Daehyun's Problems

Mistress of My Heart

“Hey, this time tomorrow, you’ll be almost like our sister-in-law,” Youngjae smiled at her. Next to him, Daehyun was wearing his ever present scowl.

            “Shut it,” he warned his best friend and Youngjae gave him a look.

            “What? It’s true. You can’t exactly deny your marriage.” He turned cheerily back to Jinli. “I really hope you get to know us all. We already know we will love you.” The others around him nodded too and she stole a look at her husband-to-be. If only he would be as willing to accept her.

            The youngest, Junhong, nodded vigorously and came forward to hug her. “I’ll make sure Hyung treats you right.”

            “Alright, that’s enough,” Daehyun interrupted. “You guys are here to enjoy the rehearsal dinner, not to be a welcoming committee. She gets it. She’ll meet you guys eventually. Whether or not you become friends is the least of my concerns.”

            His chief manager and one of his wisest hyungs looked at him. “Daehyun,” Yongguk’s voice was sharp and Jinli felt embarrassed. She didn’t want to be the reason for conflict among such a close group of friends.

            “It’s my pleasure to meet you all and I hope you’ll find no fault in how well I take care of Daehyun. I promise not to let you down.” She smiled prettily and pointed out a specific dish. “Try this dish. It’s a Turkish special, made with eggplant dip and lamb.” She avoided Daehyun’s eyes and placed the food on each of their plates, feeling all the guests’ gaze on her as she served them all.

            “Sit down. You’re not the waitress. You’re the guest of honor.” Daehyun yanked on her wrist and she collapsed in her chair. Once again, Yongguk was glaring at him and she shook her head, trying to catch the elder’s eyes and tell him that she was alright. “You’re embarrassing yourself.”

            Jinli flushed and she nodded. She felt awkward, clumsy, as if all her motor skills had evaporated and escaped from her. Nothing was going right. Daehyun’s hostility was cold and she could feel the tension even though Youngjae chattered away and tried to lighten the mood.

            The rest of the dinner went slowly but at the end, she looked up and saw Daehyun’s mother standing before her. “Jinli-ah, I know you may feel burdened, but I hope you don’t. Our son will come around. If he’s a bit gruff right now, he will soften. Please don’t take things to heart.”

            She smiled at the kindly woman before her and shook her head. How could anyone hold a grudge when she asked so nicely? “I’ll take care of him well. And hopefully he can learn to tolerate me too.”

            The elderly woman’s lips puckered and pity entered her eyes until she shook her head again. She ran a hand down Jinli’s cheeks. “This poor girl. Think of me as your mother figure. I know your own passed away too early. So count on me.” Jinli smiled gratefully and dipped her head in thanks, knowing that she could never tell her how much Daehyun hurt her already.

***

            Daehyun tossed the half smoked cigarette onto the ground and stepped on it with the heel of his shoes. “I don’t understand why you guys have to be all so chummy chummy with her. She’s my wife.”

            Youngjae scowled at him. “You don’t treat her that way. Honestly, you barely look at her with an expression that one can even call remotely amiable.”

            His best friend managed to straighten his face, but still looked pained. “There, better? My neutral face.”

            Himchan scoffed as he took a swig from his beer. “You look constipated. Ridiculous. Such a successful business tycoon at such a young age and you still can’t control your emotions when you’re in public? Are you sure you do well at press conferences?” He used his bottle to gesture at the cigarette on the floor. “And you need to cut that disgusting habit.”

            Daehyun’s head hurt. He was going to get married to that spineless pushover in less than twenty-four hours and his friends were doing nothing but nag him and give him a headache. “Get out. I need some peace and quiet. This bachelor’s party is going nowhere. Celebrate with me tomorrow.”

            “Uh, Hyung, tomorrow you’d be on your honeymoon,” Jongup reminded him.

            His hands itched for another cigarette. He wanted something to take away from the sudden panic he felt. He huffed. No, he had promised to give up the addiction. Instead, he jammed his hands into his pockets and shrugged. “Not like I’d be doing much with her anyway,” he sneered. “You’re more than welcome to tag along.”

            At this comment, he felt the disapproval radiate from them and sighed. Life was too damned complicated. He looked around and even Junhong was frowning. Why were they all taking her side? What was so special about her? From what he saw, she was just an awkward girl who seemed incapable of anything.

            He rolled his eyes as he remembered her serving everyone else at their rehearsal. He reached for a drink and downed it. “Why are you guys all on her side?”

            Jongup smiled a little. “I mean, we can’t exactly reject her. I doubt your parents would be happy with divorce of any kind, so you’re basically stuck.”

            “Stuck,” Daehyun repeated his words and Jongup sighed.

            “I mean, you need to just  it up, and honestly? She seems like a nice noona. You’re just not willing to give her a chance. I think you should.”

            Daehyun’s grip on his shot glass tightened and Himchan jumped in to change the topic. “Alright, Jung Daehyun, let’s get you tipsy enough tonight then back home. Tomorrow’s a big day.” There was a loud cry from the others and they reached into the middle with their cups.

 

 

Whoa~ Thanks for the love guys ^-^